James Harrison updates his status — sort of

James Harrison AP

Two days after having arthoscopic surgery, James Harrison was walking through Steelers camp with no apparent limp or any protective gear on his left knee.

But if he was feeling good, it didn’t translate into feeling like talking.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette caught up with him walking to the cafeteria, and transcribed the following exchange.

“Q:What did they do, scrape something out behind your knee?

“A. I don’t know.

“Q. Can you bounce back at 34 as you might have at 24?

“A. The body doesn’t come back as quick, that’s just natural.

“Q. What are you doing?

“A. I’m doing whatever it is they tell me to do.

“Q. What can you do?

“A. Whatever they tell me to do.

“Q. And what is that?

A. They haven’t told me nothing yet.

“Q. Are you swimming, stuff like that?

“A. No.

“Q. Can you still have a big season?

“A. Yeah, I’ll be all right.”

That’s a grand total of 41 words of insight from Harrison.

If he is, in fact, “all right,” the Steelers don’t much reason for concern. But with him making the start of the season apparently in doubt, with perhaps a stint on the physically unable to perform list, there are many more questions that need answers.

Longer ones, preferably.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “James Harrison updates his status — sort of”
  1. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Aug 18, 2012 11:40 AM

Harrison is an exceptionally hard-nosed player who balls out – had to actually be yanked out of a game with a broken skull (fractured orbital). Guy is the real ass deal, self-made.

So it’s kind of lame when Harrison gets criticized or minimized by dudes behind keyboards who wear ties with their polyester short sleeve shirts.

Give the man some props. Harrison is EXACTLY the guy you’d want to have your back in the hot button spots. He might not be the dental assistant you’d prefer, but if the bullets started flying in a dark alley – you’d want Harrison getting your back.

2. ravenator says: Aug 18, 2012 11:58 AM

Oh man this just keeps getting better and better

3. fancyleague says: Aug 18, 2012 12:16 PM

You gotta love reporters. Ben tells them everything about everything and gets labeled a drama queen. Harrison doesn’t and gets mocked for being terse.

If the league didn’t require it, no one would talk to the press.

4. qwerty007qwerty007 says: Aug 18, 2012 12:20 PM

Oh man this just keeps getting better and better

————————————————–

How’s T Suggs doing?

5. purpleguy says: Aug 18, 2012 12:45 PM

He certainly has the potential for a media career after his NFL days are over.

6. johntonioholmes says: Aug 18, 2012 12:52 PM

The guy is supposed to have a really good but really dry sense of humor.

Frankly, giving an interview like that is hilarious, so I’ll believe the reports.

It makes me like him a lot more, actually.

7. sorryimbusypolishingmy6lombardis says: Aug 18, 2012 12:57 PM

Harrison is not interested in a media career after his playing days are done. Right now, all he wants is to play football and be left alone. That is all he has EVER wanted. People act as though James has an obligation to give long, thought out answers to every question he is asked. Fact is, he doesn’t, and never has, want to be bothered by the media. He does not seek out the media for attention when he is named NFL Defensive Player of the Year or when he runs back the longest pick 6 in the history of the Super Bowl either. He is a man of few words that simply wants to do the job he is being paid to do. So please, don’t freak out when he gives you “yes” and “no” answers to stupid questions. That is just who James Harrison is, and always has been.

8. Punk says: Aug 18, 2012 12:58 PM

The Steelers don’t hire linebackers for their disposition.

9. electionconfidential says: Aug 18, 2012 1:07 PM

Is this a story about James Harrison or just another story about how it’s hard to be a reporter?

10. kilo0986 says: Aug 18, 2012 1:08 PM

Lmao, exactly the way I would respond

11. steelerstom says: Aug 18, 2012 1:27 PM

If I were him I would answer the same way! This guy gets fined by the commish if he farts too loud so you should understand his standoffish approach. As for the injury and being able to bounce back at 34, his body is probably more like that of a 30 year old. His career in the NFL started out slowly(being released several times etc.over several years) so this should be no problem. He will be fine and most likely fined(if the commish has it his way) throughout the course of the season. Kick some A$$ James I love the way you play!!!

12. dontstabmeray says: Aug 18, 2012 1:29 PM

ravenator says:Aug 18, 2012 11:58 AM

Oh man this just keeps getting better and better

__________________________________

I’ll tell you what keeps getting better and better…..the ravens first team defense that has gotten shredded twice now.

Steelers still live rent free in ravenator’s tiny little head.

13. thetokyosandblaster says: Aug 18, 2012 1:40 PM

I don’t know what the steelers will do without him.

They’ll need someone else to step up into the cheap, dirty player position.

14. pittsburghavenue says: Aug 18, 2012 1:47 PM

Take a clue Bouchette he doesn’t wanna talk to you.

15. stairwayto7 says: Aug 18, 2012 2:06 PM

He will let the media and trolls make up what is wrong with his knee.

16. nix35 says: Aug 18, 2012 2:17 PM

Of course he doesn’t wanna talk. Imagine I just had surgery and are worrying about your career with getting older and inured then a reporter comes and wants to have a interview.

17. joemammy says: Aug 18, 2012 2:22 PM

Still pissed off about the fines, I imagine. More to come, I’m sure…

18. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 18, 2012 6:32 PM

If I were a Steelers defensive player, I’d also be in no mood to talk to a Pittsburgh sports reporter, either radio, newspaper or TV.
    Each and everyone of them (some being worse than others) is highly critical of a defense that has carried the team for years. Meanwhile, Roethlisberger, inspite of his meager numbers season after season, is treated like a rockstar by the adoring local sports media.
    I’m sure defensive players notice when one guy gets all the credit for wins and zero blame for losses.

19. fancyleague says: Aug 18, 2012 10:46 PM

Harrison wants to be a veterinarian when he retires. Even after football he’ll still be putting dawgs down.

20. groundpounder95 says: Aug 19, 2012 8:25 AM

Harrison is by far the most all natural and talented athlete in the NFL. I can’t believe how he defies human nature with his manly physique.

21. lilrob10201 says: Aug 19, 2012 10:57 AM

LOL….I love this guy.

22. williambrasky says: Aug 19, 2012 11:38 PM

One should fear the thought of meeting JH in a dark alley. In a seriousness he is an amazing player who always delivers. Who cares if he is a little short in interviews?