Kevin Kolb fires back at “clueless” Tommy Kelly

Kevin Kolb,  Richard Seymour AP

It didn’t take long for word to get back to Kevin Kolb about Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly calling him “scared” and “skittish.”

And Kolb’s reaction showed the kind of backbone Kelly accused him of lacking.

Scared? Scared of what?” Kolb told Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ official website. “Taking a hit? I have never been afraid of anyone on the field and that will never change. That includes Number 93 [Kelly]. There’s a fine line between holding in the pocket and trying to escape to make a play.

“Tommy Kelly is too clueless to know the difference. I don’t mind people criticizing my play. Don’t ever question my toughness.”

What has been questioned thus far, and rightfully so, is Kolb’s ability. But if a little fire provided by an opponent is enough to get his attention, it’ll be interesting to see how he responds next time on the field.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Kevin Kolb fires back at “clueless” Tommy Kelly”
  1. mikeappleby1 says: Aug 18, 2012 2:38 PM

Kevin KoLOLb.

2. jeremywflores says: Aug 18, 2012 2:40 PM

Kolb talks tough, but still sucks.

3. stonecoldsays says: Aug 18, 2012 2:40 PM

If you think Kevin Kolb is a jacka$$, gimme a hell yeah/thumbs up!

4. blacknole08 says: Aug 18, 2012 2:40 PM

It’s okay Kevin. I’d be scared to0 playing behind that O-line.

5. WestCoastVet says: Aug 18, 2012 2:42 PM

He’s afraid of the other team in the NFC West that wears red!

6. cav2ya says: Aug 18, 2012 2:44 PM

not a cards fan at all here, but as for him sucking.. i think you need to look at the system he’s in. No One has done good htere in quite a while except Kurt Warner, who was on the downside of his career.. so he knew what was what.. Kolb is still too new..
    And besides, it’s not like NFL mvp wannabee Drew Brees has great numbers in his first preseason game either..

7. buccfaninhawkeyecountry says: Aug 18, 2012 2:46 PM

I dont like kolb but i respect him a lil more as a person. Still a terrible qb that andy reid made look “good”.

8. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Aug 18, 2012 2:46 PM

I love Kolb’s reaction.

Boom.

Just like he said, you can question a man’s skillset on the field. You never question a man’s toughness.

Any football player would get downright heated over that.

I don’t root for the Cardinals (or root against them) — but I will be pulling for Kolb to right the ship.

9. realfootballfan says: Aug 18, 2012 2:48 PM

Listen to this cry baby. Hey, maybe stop stealing money and play a little better instead of reading opponents’ quotes.

10. dredddog says: Aug 18, 2012 2:49 PM

Kolb may say this but has anyone seen him play? It’s obvious he is paying more attention to the rush than he is on his recievers. Thats one good thing Ive seen from Brandon Weedon so far…keeping his eyes downfield and standing strong in the pocket. Oh yea Go Browns

11. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 18, 2012 2:50 PM

I question Kolb’s intelligence level.

Kelly didn’t question his toughness, he questioned his susceptibility to fear. Tough refers to being hit, physically, and Kolb confirmed as much that he’s talking about physical toughness in his rebuttal. Kelly was talking about his mental fortitude.

Tough or not tough, I would never want a guy like Kelvin Kolb on my team, he sounds stupid and frazzled as opposed to like a focused gamer. This position is about leadership and both mental and physical skills. Kolb has the tools but he doesn’t have his head in the game.

12. kattykathy says: Aug 18, 2012 2:53 PM

Kevin, you can’t pay attention to anything the Raiders say cause they are delusional. Hell, Richard Seymour even stated they were a playoff team, and others even think they are Super Bowl contenders!
    Yea, seriously. So see, you can’t pay attention to them. They are kind of like the crazy old man in the neighborhood that talks to himself…harmless, but nutso.
    Glad I could give you a chuckle, I laughed too when I heard Seymour speak.

13. riverace19 says: Aug 18, 2012 2:57 PM

Kolb is one concussion away from retirement

14. dawsonleery says: Aug 18, 2012 3:34 PM

Kolb looks terrible. He is a backup at best. John Skelton is a guy worth giving a chance. But Cards gotta stick with him, even during the bad…. There is something about him. I think he can be a solid NFL QB.

15. tombrookshire says: Aug 18, 2012 3:39 PM

So why does Kolb hold the ball too long, get happy feet, forget about his downfield reads and look panicky in the pocket when the play breaks down? I think there is something to what Kelly was seeing in him. Don’t think he was taunting Kolb just to taunt him. Kolb will be backing up someone next year, solidifying him as an expensive bust.

16. h1ndrix says: Aug 18, 2012 3:46 PM

As a redskin fan, I watched Kolb withstand a vicious blindside hit by Orakpo last year that would’ve benched a lot of QB’s and he came back and made plays. I was impressed. I think the Cards are just a train wreck.

17. fmwarner says: Aug 18, 2012 3:57 PM

Dude hunts wild boars with a knife. I doubt he’s scared of Tommy Kelly.

18. humboldt420 says: Aug 18, 2012 3:58 PM

Kolb’s words would carry more weight if he said “offensive line” instead of “Tommy Kelly”.

The Cardinals’ offensive line looked truly clueless out there against the Raiders. Several times plays broke down almost immediately because Oakland fired up the defense calling blitzes and stunts.

19. mancave001 says: Aug 18, 2012 4:18 PM

dredddog says:
    Aug 18, 2012 2:49 PM
    =========================

Yeah, because the OL wasn’t even playing. It as bad as the line he had in Philly for two quarters. Michael Vick would be and was running for his life, too.

20. mancave001 says: Aug 18, 2012 4:18 PM

And oh yeah, see you in Cleveland for the opener. I’ll personally be visiting the Factory of Sadness. Get the tear machines fired up, because we’re gonna roll.

21. bleedgreen says: Aug 18, 2012 4:35 PM

The Arizona O-Line is a dumpster fire. You’d be stupid to NOT pay attention to the immediate rush. As Florio has stated before, if you can’t even get to your 1st read before having to run out of the pocket or throw the ball away, it doesn’t matter if you’re Joe Montana or Jamarcus Russell. You can’t effectively throw the football. Skelton hasn’t looked good either, having to get rid of the ball too soon because otherwise he’s gonna end up crushed as well.

Is it possible Kolb is sandbaggin it to try and get cut?

22. felonius1 says: Aug 18, 2012 4:37 PM

” John Skelton is a guy worth giving a chance. But Cards gotta stick with him, even during the bad…. There is something about him. I think he can be a solid NFL QB.”

Skelton just has something about him but we will never find out in that system. He had a chance to be a good player but the wrong team picked him. Lots of players like that.

23. thesmartestmanever says: Aug 18, 2012 4:57 PM

as another REDSKINS fan i remember watching this puke come off the bench and playing with a downsized playbook for Andy Reid and his peagles. Heck even i can complete enough slants and quick outs to move a team downfield on three step drops. i do it on Madden all the time. Kevin Kolb is skittish and ascared. don’t ask him to take more than three steps and hit the primary guy for six-nine yards, and you’ll have an average back up starting for you

24. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Aug 18, 2012 5:07 PM

Kolb is not playing well or getting the ball out fast enough but this all falls on the shoulders of management. You didn’t get Manning because he knew your Oline was dog poop and what do you do go out and draft a WR in the first round. You could have 4 pro bowl WR on this team but if the QB is getting hit before they get 5 yards down field it won’t matter. Until you fix the Oline you will keep turning QBs into Mark Bulger.

25. raiderspy1 says: Aug 18, 2012 6:02 PM

its easy for kolb to run his mouth from thousands of miles away.
    i don’t know if he was scared, but he did look like a deer in headlights…and he kept getting run over by a truck.

26. godblessfootball says: Aug 18, 2012 6:40 PM

Even a scared Kolb was able to get his offense to score against raiders; that’s the embarrassing part for Kelly and the raiders

27. tatum064 says: Aug 18, 2012 7:32 PM

Both of them need to shut up. Both teams were scrubs, and will be roadkill in their respective western divisions, unless their offenses wake up.

And I’m a Raider fan. Kelly needs to keep it quiet. And they better find a way to score, quick. I could see if Raiders shut down the first offense, but the Cards marched and scored on the first possession.

28. chazatlas says: Aug 19, 2012 12:58 AM

Kolb, talk all you want. You are fragile and you are a loser.

29. badintent says: Aug 19, 2012 2:07 AM

As a fan of Big Blue, I repect Kolb. His O line and backs give him little or no time to make reads or take second options. I liked to see any and all bloggers here get blindsided by a 260 line backers and get up for the next play., Yeah , that;s what I thought. No one has their hand up to take a snap.

30. torturedraiderfan says: Aug 19, 2012 9:44 AM

I agree with tatum064. I’m a Raider fan too and Kelly needs to shut up and not give other teams bulletin board material. The Raiders looked horrible in two pre-season games. Maybe its not time to panic yet, but its also no time to run your mouth. Just shut up and play Tommy.

31. 11thstreetmafia says: Aug 19, 2012 10:16 AM

Do you people really believe in “bulletin board material?” these guys arent motivated by crap like that. They aren’t high school players. These guys are the pros. They are motivated by money. Putting up numbers begets more money so…

32. CKL says: Aug 19, 2012 2:40 PM

There’s a difference between bulletin board material and questioning a guy’s toughness be it mental or physical. There was a defensive player I had a short exchange with on twitter and I asked him if what I posted yesterday here about being called scared is the worst thing one player could say to another is true and he agreed. He said you think it to psych yourself up, but it should NEVER be said. He didn’t think Kolb was scared either.