Cedric Benson has a chance to start for Packers

Cleveland Browns v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

With the news James Starks will miss a couple of weeks with a turf toe injury, there’s a chance for Cedric Benson to go from unemployment to starting for one of the league’s top teams.

For Benson, however, starting Thursday night against Cincinnati is as far as he’s willing to look.

“I don’t want to put my foot in my mouth. I don’t really want to get into all that right now,” Benson said, via Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com. “Right now, I’m focused on one week at a time.”

That’s probably the best way to think, since he had just finished his first practice in pads with the Packers when he said it.

But there are still challenges for the 29-year-old back that transcend the fact he’s coming off three straight 1,000-yard seasons. Since he’s new to the Packers and hasn’t played in a West Coast offense before, he’s also sitting in on quarterbacks meetings with Aaron Rodgers in addition to his cram sessions with running backs coach Alex Van Pelt.

“For the first time ever we’ve had a running back sitting in on some quarterback meetings, so he’s going to extra meeting times trying to learn the offense, trying to learn checkdowns,” Rodgers explained. “He’s sitting next to me in meetings, so he wants to learn and it’s fun to have a veteran guy who’s really hungry. It’s going to be fun to get out there and see what he adds to the offense.”

Benson admitted he’d like to gain 100 yards against the Bengals. But beyond exacting a bit of revenge, a good performance might earn him a starting job.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Cedric Benson has a chance to start for Packers”
  1. thedogatemylessonplans says: Aug 20, 2012 8:19 AM

100 yards? What’s he going to get, 40 carries?

2. fearthebengaltiger says: Aug 20, 2012 8:35 AM

i was a ced fan when he was in cincy. he wants to get a 100 against us? hope he lost his case of fumbleitis if he wants to make that happen.

3. clarkisgod says: Aug 20, 2012 8:46 AM

This guy has a real shot to at least make other teams respect the run a little. I sure hope he doesn’t screw it up.

4. garyman1 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:50 AM

There only 3 things I would like out of Benson this year.
    1. Pick up that 3rd and short yardage first down
    2. Pick up the blitz (protect Rodgers)
    3. Don’t put the ball on the ground…no fumbles

5. mvp43 says: Aug 20, 2012 9:04 AM

If Benson has any future in the NFL beyond this season, he’ll need to put together a solid season on and off the field. That should be good motivation for him to work hard and stay clean.

I have a feeling this could be a steal for the Packers. All they really need is the threat of a running game, and if he turns out to actually be good…….wow.

6. tucostacos says: Aug 20, 2012 9:16 AM

Did he cry when he signed?

7. kuta82 says: Aug 20, 2012 9:47 AM

My goodness.he wants 100yrds against the Bears now he wants 100 yrds against another that gave him a chance in the NFL..Clearly he has issues with his former teams..Its not Bengals and Bears fault..Look at his off-field issues also complainig about sharing the carries..MrGive me the Ball…Don’t cry when Aaron Rogers decides to go through the air..Packers air it out a lot so it won’t be until he starts complainig about his carries

8. superjroch says: Aug 20, 2012 10:26 AM

It always cracks me up to hear fans get on a player’s case for wanting the ball more. If I was the coach of a team with a skill player who didn’t want to get his hands on the ball every play, I’d wonder what’s wrong with him for just a second before I cut him. And don’t give me any crap about how he should just shut up about it. The media sticks 20 microphones in his face and asks, “Do you want to carry the ball more?” What is he supposed to say? The optimal answer is “I want to do whatever it takes for this team to win.” but these guys aren’t politicians. I’ll take a “Yes, I want it every down”, and be thankful that there’s another guy on my team who is willing to carry his team to victory. Complain about not getting the ball all you want, Ced.

9. purpleguy says: Aug 20, 2012 10:43 AM

If that’s a current picture, the better have him join MM’s weekly Jenny Craig meetings.

10. chi01town says: Aug 20, 2012 11:37 AM

The Glass is NOT half full in this case ITS DEFENITLY HALF EMPTY. Benson had 2.7 yards per carry last season. Hes Shot an the Bengales knew it. an how long will it be before Benson find his way to a Wisconsin Jail … Gentelmen.. Place your bets ….

11. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 20, 2012 12:30 PM

Packer fans are desperate for any glimmer of positivity this year.

12. thetokyosandblaster says: Aug 20, 2012 2:09 PM

Lol.

The steelers won’t finish better than .500, so worry about your own team.