Michael Vick leaves game after big hit in first quarter

Michael Vick AP

The Patriots are resting most of their starters on Monday night and the Eagles are probably wishing they made the same choice.

Michael Vick got pasted by Patriots linebacker Jermaine Cunningham on the first play of the Eagles’ second possession and was grimacing noticeably when he rose to his feet. He went back down to a knee after taking a few steps, bringing the Eagles medical staff to the field in a hurry. He left the field under his own power and stood next to Andy Reid on the Philly sideline briefly before heading to the locker room with what could be a rib injury.

Vick had a rib injury that cost him a few games last season and he’ll surely get a full battery of tests before the Eagles allow him to return to action.

Nick Foles is now running the Eagles offense, which means that neither starting quarterback is in the game. The Patriots, playing the first of three games in the next 10 days, are resting most of their starters including Tom Brady.

UPDATE: Lisa Salters of ESPN confirms that the Eagles are worried about a rib injury. Vick will get x-rays to determine the extent of the injury.

Permalink 75 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
75 Responses to “Michael Vick leaves game after big hit in first quarter”
  1. edavidberg says: Aug 20, 2012 8:38 PM

Mike Vick has no common sense. Rookie mistake inviting a hit like that.

He just doesn’t want to make the simple play.

2. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:38 PM

Im actually a fan of vick but i gotta say hes been pretty soft this preseason…

3. lilrob10201 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:38 PM

Fragile Vick gets injured again.

4. trefkennedy says: Aug 20, 2012 8:38 PM

Well looks like everyone in the NFC east is getting hurt

5. waccoforngata says: Aug 20, 2012 8:38 PM

Can’t Vick go one game without hurting himself? They should wrap him in bubble wrap

6. Maximus Decimus Meridius says: Aug 20, 2012 8:38 PM

Lets see…two games, two injuries….WTG Philly WTG….How’s that 100 mil taste?

7. huskersrock1 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:39 PM

First the head first slide and now this, this guy will never learn.

8. turk2875 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:39 PM

I swear, I’m starting to get so frustrated with how fragile Vick is. Two preseason games, and two injuries? I hate being debby downer here, but I’m starting to lose more and more confidence in a Vick-led Super Bowl.

9. bennyb82 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:39 PM

I think im going to add Nick Foles either late in the fantasy draft oor in free agency because it appears Vick is still made of glass. I know nobody cares about my fantasy team, but it sounds like Foles could end up being Phillys guy at some point this year.

10. richndc says: Aug 20, 2012 8:40 PM

Oh boy Miss Vicky is one and done. Bad Newz for Eagles fans, Bad Newz. I will say she is getting really good at that “wince” face. Bless her heart.

11. c0rona55 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:40 PM

..and in other news, the sun rises in the east.

12. philadelphiafan says: Aug 20, 2012 8:41 PM

Good job Vick. Batting .1000 in injuries this season.

13. eagleswin says: Aug 20, 2012 8:42 PM

It was typical Vick and it was his own fault. Yes the linebacker came through almost clean but after the playaction Vick was staring right at McCoy as he went out in the flat. There was noone within 10 yards of McCoy. He lobs a pass to McCoy in the flat and one of 2 things happen. McCoy doesn’t get his head around in time and it’s incomplete or McCoy catches it and it’s a big play.

So does Vick do the simple safe play and live to QB another play? No. He goes for the ESPN highlight play because it’s the highlight reel plays that earned him the big money, not playing it smart. That’s why Vick will never play a full season and never win a superbowl unless he’s carrying a clipboard. ESPN doesn’t care if he wins anything, just as long as he gives them material for ESPN top 10 plays of the day.

Let’s see what Foles can do.

14. stonecoldsays says: Aug 20, 2012 8:42 PM

He’s a walking marshmellow. Represents the Eagles franchise perfectly with his fragile, overrated, quitting attitude.

15. moneymike23 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:42 PM

Gruden and Tirico are terrible. How is anyone going to stay awake listening to those 2?

16. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Aug 20, 2012 8:43 PM

This is going to get really old, really fast. As an Eagles fan, I want a QB who can take at least a little damage. At least Foles is showing potential. I’m far more impressed with him than Kafka.

17. upyoursnfu says: Aug 20, 2012 8:44 PM

“Dynasty Over!” Barked my Black Lab.

18. 6250claimer says: Aug 20, 2012 8:44 PM

DYNASTY!!

19. flyeredup says: Aug 20, 2012 8:44 PM

The Eagles are getting waxed by New England’s AAA affiliate. Sigh. Philly is cursed.

20. 13fitzj says: Aug 20, 2012 8:45 PM

What a coincidence! The Eagles are paper champions, and their quarterback is as fragile as damp tissue paper!

21. cali49er707 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:45 PM

I just saw the hit & I have to say Mike looked like he was in alot discomfort!! Not hating just saying ………. I wish him well unless he is playing my team!!!

22. deangelo23hall says: Aug 20, 2012 8:46 PM

When he’s healthy, he’s arguably the best QB in the league.

When he’s healthy.

23. phillyphever says: Aug 20, 2012 8:46 PM

Thank goodness they can get out of his contract after this year. At this point, he can’t get out of bed without getting hurt.

24. floridaboy619 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:47 PM

As a Packers fan its funny to see the Pats backups showing up the Eagle’s starters lol. BTW I think its safe to say Vicky is made of glass.

25. geniusfan says: Aug 20, 2012 8:47 PM

I’ve been a Vick supporter, and I believe a lot of his injuries have been super fluky. However I can’t ignore reality for much longer.

26. bnwpnw says: Aug 20, 2012 8:47 PM

Woof.

27. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Aug 20, 2012 8:48 PM

eaglesnoles? mad5555?
    __________________________________

this is just a glimpse into a ‘regular’ season for you guys right?

enjoy!!

28. macjacmccoy says: Aug 20, 2012 8:48 PM

Where’s the story of the Patriots fans cheering Vick’s injury? I guess those stories only matter when Eagles fans are doing it and not when other fans are doing it to Eagles’ players.

29. scubasteve12 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:49 PM

Hey eagles the cardinals will trade you kolb for ummm well everyone on your team sucks so all of your next year draft picks.

30. cooklynn17 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:49 PM

Dynasty…

31. stonecoldsays says: Aug 20, 2012 8:51 PM

The nerve of folks to compare a real talent like RGIII to a quitter like Vick.

32. 5xchamp says: Aug 20, 2012 8:51 PM

DYANSTYYYY ???
    this ” team ” will be lucky to be 500 at best !
    over rated ! over hyped ! 4th in the east

33. crazeddawg56 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:51 PM

Remember the time Vick stayed healthy a full season??

Yea me neither!!

34. brintfatre says: Aug 20, 2012 8:52 PM

Every play he’s looking for an excuse to quit. Y’all would be better off to bring McNabb back…

35. jboyxl73 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:52 PM

Everybody said The Pats were protecting Brady cause he was a Star and couldn’t take it ….well I guess Vick can’t either ….would u rather pay for ore season tickets and have your key players not there so that when u are in the seats during the regular season they aren’t on the bench ????

36. rashardmendenballs says: Aug 20, 2012 8:52 PM

Unfortunately, since this is the new NFL (The new NFL is where you can make up the rules as you go) Roger Gooddell will fine Cunningham for “tackling the QB”. As we all know Gooddell and the NFL owners have outlawed and banned tackling the QB.

37. thetokyosandblaster2 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:53 PM

No one cares.

The dream is dead. This team won’t win the division even WITH Vick.

38. howiefeltersnatch says: Aug 20, 2012 8:54 PM

Say what you want, but dude wants every single yard and leaves it on the field every time out, even in the preseason.

39. thepancreas says: Aug 20, 2012 8:54 PM

Karma just called.

She’s not done with Vick yet.

40. dbones750 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:55 PM

karma. just throw it away, moron.

41. gunndlewittlebaum says: Aug 20, 2012 8:55 PM

What’s interesting about the ‘big hit’ Vick took, is how it wasn’t a ‘big hit’ at all. Vick is a Faberge Egg.

42. b3nz0z says: Aug 20, 2012 8:56 PM

at least our D is looking good . . . oh wait

43. steelers4385 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:57 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha

44. trevonte23 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:57 PM

Eagles have their starters in but are getting man-handled by the patriots Bench!

45. pftstory says: Aug 20, 2012 8:57 PM

If he was a normal man, I’d be starting to feel sorry for the guy.

46. wwwfella says: Aug 20, 2012 8:57 PM

someone call bruce willis because weve fond mr. glass

47. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 20, 2012 9:03 PM

I speak for a lot of Cowboy fans and Pit Bulls when I say, “good”.

48. tommyribs says: Aug 20, 2012 9:04 PM

Vick is the ONLY player in the NFL that I wish injury on.

So glad he got nailed. I only wish I could have seen it. I hate the Eagles, but again, he is the only player that I hope gets hurt. And that is because he is literally a piece of Garbage.

I still don;t know why Goodell let him back in the league.

49. k9tt0 says: Aug 20, 2012 9:05 PM

All of you are dumb asses. If the bitch ass lineman holds a block, we wouldn’t be commenting. The o line nor the refs protect vick

50. mjkelly77 says: Aug 20, 2012 9:07 PM

As they say, Karma is a female dog.

51. chazzmon says: Aug 20, 2012 9:07 PM

They may need to pick up Kolb after the Cards cut him.

52. 5xchamp says: Aug 20, 2012 9:07 PM

Danm, New Englands third team is pretty good ,
    I think the EGIRLS may be just a little over rated tho…. Just sayin ! embarsing !
    HAHAHAHAHA ! cry eagles cry !

53. rcali says: Aug 20, 2012 9:08 PM

Dinner just tastes so much better tonight.

54. bleedburgandyandgold says: Aug 20, 2012 9:10 PM

LMAO!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!! As awefull as it sounds it brings me joy to see him get plastered every time!

55. bgoochy says: Aug 20, 2012 9:11 PM

ESPN also reports that X-rays have shown Michael Vick to be completely comprised of paper mache.

56. gator2006 says: Aug 20, 2012 9:11 PM

Vick will be back, brother, and that’s the truth because Gator2006 told you so.

57. suhdidntstompanyone says: Aug 20, 2012 9:13 PM

I feel so bad for the guy. I mean it couldn’t have happened to a nicer sociopath/animal murderer.

58. ctiggs says: Aug 20, 2012 9:13 PM

Although he is made of glass, not a single person in here would be in the game still after that hit. He got rocked!

59. ocho says: Aug 20, 2012 9:17 PM

i bet Donovan Mcnabb just turned the ringer on his cell phone up ever so slightly…silly rabbit

60. vcupats says: Aug 20, 2012 9:22 PM

So should I get a 16 x 20 framed photo of Cunningham’s hit on Vick or a 27 x 41? Decisions…

61. 1rockyracoon says: Aug 20, 2012 9:27 PM

Raise your hand if your surprised. 8-8 here we come. Andy, Vick missing games due to injury is not an acceptable excuse for not contending for a title. Vick missing games is a given, make sure you have a suitable back up.

62. rcampore says: Aug 20, 2012 9:27 PM

This has nothing to do with this post, but can I just say that I seriously wish I could just mute Jon Gruden’s voice and hear just the play by play.

Everyone is the best according to him!

63. pftcensorssuck says: Aug 20, 2012 9:27 PM

7-9

If they’re lucky.

64. butkusditka says: Aug 20, 2012 9:28 PM

Xrays came back negative for a fracture, eagle fans. I don’t think it would matter much anyway. If not tonight then it would be next week. In 10 seasons he’s only played 16 games in one. Btw. Let’s not kid ourselves…this offense will be running mainly through shady McCoy. I don’t believe the hype about reducing his touches this season.

65. youhavenoclue says: Aug 20, 2012 9:29 PM

rofl @ the guy that said Vick (WHEN HEALTHY) is the best QB in the league. LOL. Based on what? Hell, he’s fighting Robert Griffin the Turd for the basement position in the NFC East.

66. ripster65 says: Aug 20, 2012 9:29 PM

“He’s a walking marshmellow”
    ——
    I hate to disagree, but marshmellows bounce right back….

67. djspman says: Aug 20, 2012 9:30 PM

Mike Vick is Playing you all, like a Dog playing dead.

68. rcampore says: Aug 20, 2012 9:31 PM

As far as Vick is concerned, I’ve never seen a QB so F-R-A-G-I-L-E. Eli Manning nearly got murdered in the SF game and got up every single time. Vick gets pushed and he breaks a rib.

Good Luck keeping him healthy Philly!

69. cmdrsmooth says: Aug 20, 2012 9:45 PM

Dream Team Dynasty of Sucking

70. jackblackshairyback says: Aug 20, 2012 10:00 PM

No big deal. If he can’t compete, just drown him.

71. cleminem757 says: Aug 20, 2012 10:14 PM

FRAH-GEE-LAY. Must be Italian!!

72. liamj55 says: Aug 20, 2012 10:15 PM

Bowls for Foles!!!!

73. jerry9997 says: Aug 20, 2012 10:27 PM

He murdered all those dogs by electrocuting or drowning them. Good for whoever bangs Vick good. I can’t believe that Politically Correct Tony Dungy two years ago said that when Vick got out of prison he was not picked up by NFL teams because they were racist. We don’t need either of these two in football.

74. frankbyrdblog2012 says: Aug 20, 2012 11:00 PM

Who’s stupid idea was it to start the starting quarterback who’s supposed to spearhead the eagles to a Superbowl.In not one,but two meaningless preseason games.Gamble at the Hard Rock Casino not at Lincoln Financial.Thanks.

75. saint73 says: Aug 20, 2012 11:04 PM

Let me start off by saying I love dogs, I have three of them and they are family to me… that said stop talking about the effing dogs with Vick already and wishing him to get hurt. It’s dumb and that’s me being nice to you people saying that.

That said, he is fragile and I am fairly confident he will never be what I thought he could be all those years back when I first saw him Va Tech. He will be hurt by week 6, guaranteed.