Skip to content

Rex Ryan won’t commit to Wayne Hunter as starting right tackle

New York Jets Training Camp Getty Images

After a terrible game against the Giants on Saturday, Jets right tackle Wayne Hunter may be in danger of losing his starting job — if the Jets can find anyone better to take his place.

Although Jets’ offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo has defended Hunter this offseason as capable of manning the right tackle spot again, head coach Rex Ryan refused to commit to Hunter as a starter when asked about him today.

“I’m going to say this. We’re committing to putting a good football team on the field,” Ryan said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “Competition not just at the right tackle spot, but there’s competition throughout. . . . We’re loaded in some spots and the competition is elevating peoples’ play. . . . But to sit back and say this guy’s definitely the starter, I’m not ready to do that.”

At some positions — notably quarterback — Ryan insists that the guy he has installed as the starter will remain the starter. At right tackle, however, the Jets obviously realize that they would have a serious credibility problem if they publicly proclaimed Hunter the man.

But Hunter isn’t the only problem. The other problem is that the Jets have no one better to replace him. The Jets tried to trade for Jeff Otah, but he failed his physical. And they reached out to free agent Vernon Carey, who started 15 games for the Dolphins last year, but Carey is content coaching in high school and doesn’t plan to return to the NFL.

So even if Ryan won’t commit, Hunter will probably be the starting right tackle against the Bills in Week One. Which is very good news for Bills defensive end Mario Williams.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Rex Ryan won’t commit to Wayne Hunter as starting right tackle”
  1. grpatriot says: Aug 20, 2012 12:52 PM

    Players Coach!

  2. scoops1 says: Aug 20, 2012 12:58 PM

    Is mangold’s sister available to take hunter’s job

  3. joeypickles says: Aug 20, 2012 1:02 PM

    The Jets would be better off not starting a right tackle at all… then at least they could see the DE coming.

    Hunter is not a turnstile… those things at least slow people down.

  4. mikeyhorse says: Aug 20, 2012 1:10 PM

    Shocking development. Mangold, good idea. Could it fly?

  5. willyalistentothis says: Aug 20, 2012 1:27 PM

    While it would have been a good move to find another capable tackle during the offseason and perhaps a receiver , it would never have created the same circus as bringing in a back-up quarterback with an arm made for the wishbone offense. The Jets should consider starting McElroy because unlike Sanchez, he is not affraid to stand in the pocket and get smashed in order to complete a pass. And unlike Tebow, he can complete a pass. But winning is a secondary priority for the Jets, so it will never happen.

  6. catquick says: Aug 20, 2012 1:28 PM

    If Rex commits to Hunter, he should be committed

  7. thehouseofho says: Aug 20, 2012 1:59 PM

    If Wayne Hunter’s the RT for both games against the Bills, Mario Williams will be the first person in NFL history to break the single game sack record twice in a season.

  8. jetstizzi85 says: Aug 20, 2012 2:10 PM

    Best think Rex has said in 3 years – and I am a HUGE Jets fan! Hunter should be a backup on another team I have seen enough of him

  9. nyj69 says: Aug 20, 2012 2:20 PM

    Austin Howard is still raw, but he’s still immediately an improvement over Hunter. It makes no sense not to put him in if they aren’t going to bring in an out of house option.

  10. noreasterforlife says: Aug 20, 2012 2:22 PM

    the Jets obviously realize that they would have a serious credibility problem if they publicly proclaimed ((Sanchez)) the man.

    But ((Sanchez)) isn’t the only problem. The other problem is that the Jets have no one better to replace him. ((Tebow))

    I could place most of the team in this statement and it would ring true. Especially ((Rex Ryan))

  11. pmeredith77 says: Aug 20, 2012 3:51 PM

    Why the Jets thought they could go into the season with Wayne Hunter at RT is still baffling to me.

  12. backindasaddle says: Aug 20, 2012 5:41 PM

    Operation ‘Wayne Down The Dwain’ has been in full gear for at least the entire off season. They just haven’t been able to find a suitable replacement yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!