Seau’s autopsy shows no illegal drugs or alcohol in his sysyem

FILE:  Junior Seau Reportedly Found Dead Getty Images

Though it remains to be seen whether a study of Junior Seau’s brain will reveal evidence of Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy, his body had no traces of alcohol or illegal drugs when he died.

That was the outcome of the autopsy performed on Seau.  The results were released by the San Diego County medical examiner on Monday.

Per the Associated Press, the report indicated that Seau had Zolpidem, an insomnia medication, and Naproxen, a pain reliever, in his system.

The report also indicated that Seau’s brain showed no signs of trauma.  CTE, however, is a microscopic phenomenon that isn’t obvious during a normal autopsy.

Seau committed suicide in May, via a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.  He spent 20 years in the NFL, playing for the Chargers, Dolphins, and Patriots.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
12 Responses to “Seau’s autopsy shows no illegal drugs or alcohol in his sysyem”
  1. wozzmann1955 says: Aug 20, 2012 6:14 PM

Stop using zolpidem and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

depressed mood, thoughts of hurting yourself;
    unusual thoughts, risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger;
    anxiety, aggression, feeling restless or agitated;
    hallucinations, confusion, changes in personality.

man lucky he didnt have any “illegal drugs “in him,just imagine how bad that would have been,,,,,,glad they were doctor prescribed

2. trollhammer20 says: Aug 20, 2012 6:15 PM

Not sure why the need to emphasize illegal drugs when prescription drugs kill more people every year.

Some of them even come with warnings about suicidal thoughts….including Zolpidem.

From Medicine.net’s profile of Zolpidem:

“Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: memory loss, mental/mood/behavior changes (such as new/worsening depression, abnormal thoughts, thoughts of suicide, hallucinations, confusion, agitation, aggressive behavior, anxiety).”

3. wozzmann1955 says: Aug 20, 2012 6:17 PM

no fear of danger

splains him drivin the car off the cliff

4. blacknole08 says: Aug 20, 2012 6:18 PM

He could have had a mental illness that went undetected. Nobody will know the reasons why he died except for him. God bless him and his family.

5. bluemist says: Aug 20, 2012 6:28 PM

Zolpidem (better known as Ambien) has all kinds of well-documented side effects, including some very severe ones like hallucinations, memory loss, depression and suicidal thoughts. Perhaps it contributed to this tragedy.

6. beavertonsteve says: Aug 20, 2012 6:37 PM

Good lord. Just google “Zolpidem suicide”

7. arrruserious says: Aug 20, 2012 6:49 PM

Did they scan his cat?

8. parttimer1 says: Aug 20, 2012 6:49 PM

When will florio stop interjecting his opinions into reports to support his own agenda????

Now he knows more than the medical examiner…

9. FinFan68 says: Aug 20, 2012 7:02 PM

CTE is suspected simply because he played football. It is the “big deal” now because people are trying to make money off the NFL via concussions. (Not saying Seau family is). Is CTE even looked at if he weren’t a football player? He committed suicide, sadly. Why will NEVER be known. All anyone can do is guess and blame but it is pointless.

10. bennyb82 says: Aug 20, 2012 8:32 PM

I used to take Ambien. I used to wake up with food wrappers sprawled across my room with no memory of eating anything. My friends thought it was hilarious. Then one day I woke up and didnt know where I was, but I was driving my car. Four people called the police and told them I was crossing over the solid yellow line. I got pulled over by 3 cop cars and explained how I took Ambien and went to sleep in my bed and woke up driving. They breathalyzed me and werent too amused when I sucked in like it was a pipe…but then I blew and passed. Had a friend come and pick me up. I went home and threw away the rest of the bottle. I am very surprised Ambien is still legal because I know of other cases of sleep driving.It seems like the manufacturer will eventually face a wrongful death lawsuit at some point due to this med.

11. jjbadd385 says: Aug 20, 2012 9:25 PM

What’s sad is, people keep wondering. Understand this, depression alone is enough. You take a man who used football to occupy his time for nearly his entire life, then u take it away, & that’s really enough. He was depressed, & as a man who battled depression daily, trust me, that’s all it takes, one day when you decide “this feeling ain’t worth feeling anymore”.

12. trevor123698 says: Aug 21, 2012 12:33 AM

i’d bet anything it was the insomnia meds that led him to kill himself.