Andy Reid, Cullen Jenkins brush off sideline spat

Cleveland Browns v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Eagles coach Andy Reid and defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins got in each other’s faces during a sideline shouting match on Monday night, but afterward both of them insisted it was no big deal.

Listen, it’s an emotional game,” Reid said, via CSNPhilly.com. “He was fired up. I was fired up. Those things happen. Cullen is my primary leader on that defensive line. I count on him for a lot of things. He was upset, and I was upset. We talked about it afterward, and we’re OK. I put a lot of responsibility on our defensive line, and I put a lot of responsibility on our offensive line. I didn’t necessarily think this was either one of their best performances. They picked it up after that point. They picked it up, and I thought they took charge the way that they’re very capable of doing.”

Jenkins said he wasn’t upset with Reid.

“It’s football,” Jenkins said. “Football causes that. If you’re out there playing, you’ve got to be emotional. It was nothing. Nothing was addressed. It’s an emotional game, and sometimes you need that spark and especially now in the preseason. I’m a real competitive person, and when I get out there, I want to win regardless. It wasn’t anything directed at anybody or personal like that. It wasn’t anything about a specific play. It was through the game. We’ve got a short window on where we need to be as a team, and we need to come out, and I don’t care if it’s preseason or not, we need to play like it. We can’t come out flat.”

Jenkins added, “Obviously, that’s not the way I should have handled it, but you just get emotional.” Jenkins is fortunate to have a coach who will brush it off when he gets emotional.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Andy Reid, Cullen Jenkins brush off sideline spat”
  1. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Aug 21, 2012 6:46 AM

DYNASTY or minus the DY just NASTY !!!!!!!!

2. mancave001 says: Aug 21, 2012 6:49 AM

Here come the haters…

3. joetoronto says: Aug 21, 2012 6:51 AM

Reid is a good coach, just not a HC.

You can’t have the inmates running the asylum.

4. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Aug 21, 2012 7:24 AM

Here come the eiggle yeaholes…

5. mjposner says: Aug 21, 2012 7:25 AM

“Reid is a good coach, just not a HC.”

So I guess the comments and stats shown at the game mean nothing.

5th wins among all active coacjhes (only one with one team)

Second most division titles

second most post season wins.

Blah blah he hasn’t won a super bowl. Doers not mean that he isn’t a good head coach.

6. skoobyfl says: Aug 21, 2012 7:28 AM

If I were Andy, I’d make up with him real quick.

7. nfceastfan says: Aug 21, 2012 7:32 AM

It was like watching Brady and Belichick II.

8. billh1947 says: Aug 21, 2012 7:40 AM

I would like to see what the Giants coach(or any coach) would do if Jenkins was his player and acted like that to them,Reid isnt a disciplinarian obviously to his players if he allows such insubordination to go unpunished,I guess he figures just being one of the boys will do the job of being top dog in the kennel.

9. wallio says: Aug 21, 2012 7:46 AM

“I put a lot of pressure on my offensive line” so much so, I make my O-Line coach responsible for the entire defense…..

10. cleverbob says: Aug 21, 2012 7:59 AM

Well clearly coaches and players have never gotten into it with each other on the sidelines before…

11. Giantspunk213 says: Aug 21, 2012 8:00 AM

I think eagles fans should worry more about the fact the starters on defense couldn’t stop the pats 2nd and 3rd stringers and that Vick can’t seem to stay healthy.

12. n0hopeleft says: Aug 21, 2012 8:00 AM

Reid repeatedly told Jenkins to SIT DOWN when Cullen got in his face, and Jenkins refused to do so.. Andy Reid was fully aware the camera was right on him.

Last night was an embarrassment on many levels for the Eagles.

They were manhandled by the Patriots B team.

13. dryheaveone says: Aug 21, 2012 8:16 AM

the media loves when stuff like this happens, last year it was Brady and offensive coach Bill O’Brien going at it…..no biggie

14. dawkphan says: Aug 21, 2012 8:19 AM

I was happy to see Big Red get in someones face, they were making to many stupid mistakes and penalties. He lit a fire under some of them!!

15. pmad1 says: Aug 21, 2012 8:37 AM

It’s great to see Andy dialed up! He’s playing for his job this year.

16. jpb12 says: Aug 21, 2012 8:42 AM

Jenkins is fortunate to be an outstanding player and Reid is fortunate to have him.

That good fortune doesn’t shine on the average player.

Different rules for different folks.

17. spellingcops says: Aug 21, 2012 8:45 AM

I was really surprised to see Jenkins (the employee) jump up and yell at Reid (the boss) in his face like that.

18. bo1210 says: Aug 21, 2012 8:47 AM

What’s this? A coach and a player in a heated disagreement? Wow, never seen THAT before in the NFL.

19. Kelly's Chronicles says: Aug 21, 2012 8:48 AM

link to video….got to give Reid props for holding them accountable.

20. gallaghedj311 says: Aug 21, 2012 8:52 AM

Reid is a top 5 coach in the league. Y’all are a bunch of fools posting otherwise. Keep in mind Belicheck and Payton have * next to their accomplishments. Reid does it the right way, handles his business in house, and players respect him for it. If Reid were to get fired, 25 other wad coaches would be sick worrying about their jobs. But u say he’s not a good HC. I say ur a moron

21. bluebongzilla says: Aug 21, 2012 8:54 AM

Ha! Eagle fans think it’s a big deal when it’s some other team. Oh but this is different!

22. joetoronto says: Aug 21, 2012 9:38 AM

billh1947 says:
    Aug 21, 2012 7:40 AM
    ***************************************************
    Exactly. That’s why as long as he’s the HC, the Eagles will win nothing.

23. skinsfanwill says: Aug 21, 2012 9:43 AM

Reid handled it well. At the end of the day these are grown men dealing with grown men. Insubordination my arse. This isn’t high school football, this is pro ball.

24. abninf says: Aug 21, 2012 9:55 AM

mjposner says: Aug 21, 2012 7:25 AM

Blah blah he hasn’t won a super bowl.
    ====================================

You act like that’s just a minor footnote.

25. oldbyrd says: Aug 21, 2012 10:06 AM

i can’t remember ever seeing andy that upset, ill bet it was necessary and Im not exactly a Reid Fan. Im on Andy’s side on this one.

26. dvdman123 says: Aug 21, 2012 10:07 AM

The Eagles are going to have a tough season.

27. mcg1848 says: Aug 21, 2012 10:14 AM

Just nice to see Reid show some emotion for a change.

28. philyeagles5 says: Aug 21, 2012 10:36 AM

it was actually nice to see andy actually has some fire under him.

29. myeaglescantwin says: Aug 21, 2012 10:47 AM

andy reid has a winning percentage below 35% against playoff contenders.

he made a living off of beating terrible washington teams, terrible cowboy teams and owning the giants for 5 years.. (minus their two superbowl years)

Andy Reid would be one of the top OC’s of all time,, he doesn’t have the sand to be HC

30. geniusfan says: Aug 21, 2012 11:37 AM

“Keep in mind Belicheck and Payton have * next to their accomplishments.”

Says you and a bunch of haters jealous of the success those two teams have had.

Unfortunately for you your opinion here doesn’t determine if there is a * or not. If the NFL doesn’t list an * next to the Saints and Patriots’ accomplishments then it’s official * free. I’ve been to Patriot Place myself and I didn’t see any asterisks on the Patriots’ three shiny Lombardi trophies.

By the way since “spygate” the Patriots have the best record in the NFL two Super Bowl appearances and the only 16-0 season in NFL history.

Even that is far better than what Reid has accomplished in his near decade and a half reign at the Novacare complex.

31. thetooloftools says: Aug 21, 2012 12:15 PM

That is called ‘passion for the game” and “heat of the moment” battles. I not only approve of it, I think it’s healthy.

32. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Aug 21, 2012 1:00 PM

Jenkins is gone ,,,trust me on this one !

33. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Aug 21, 2012 1:07 PM

Isn’t Gruden suppose to comment on this during the telecast ?

34. CKL says: Aug 21, 2012 1:31 PM

I was stunned to see Reid like that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do that. And Jenkins is not a bleep like his brother is, so the whole thing was a little surreal. But as far as BIG DEAL? Nope.

35. bubba9er says: Aug 21, 2012 2:04 PM

All I know is that Foles looked pretty dang good in that game last night. Hey, Cardinals, you guys need an unproven young quarterback? It will only cost you Patrick Peterson and 2 first rounders… Oh, nevermind, Kevin Kolb is working out just like you hoped he would.

Eagles made out big in that exchange.

36. golicsbutt says: Aug 22, 2012 6:25 PM

The more I look at the video, the more it looks like a calculated move by Reid to get the defense – and the coach – hyped up. Seems to have worked.