Bills give starting LT job to second-rounder Cordy Glenn

Cordy Glenn AP

It was overshadowed by the Shawne Merriman news, but the Bills made an even bigger call yesterday.

By naming Cordy Glenn their starting left tackle, they installed a 6-foot-5, 345-pound mammoth to protect the blind side of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The second-round pick was expected to win the job over second-year incumbent Chris Hairtson, but Glenn impressed enough to get all the reps in practice, which coach Chan Gailey felt was critical.

“Cordy’s got great ability,” Gailey said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “Ability’s not the issue. It’s just playing time. He needs as much playing time as he can get. I think if he gets playing time he’s got a chance to be a really good football player.

“He’s not done great against the two good pass-rushers he’s faced [Brian Orakpo and Jared Allen], but he’s done OK. And I think that we see a great upside with him.”

Granted, not many tackles emerge looking spotless against Allen and Orakpo.

But Glenn has big potential, and getting him up to speed with left guard Any Levitre will give him a chance to get ready for the Jets in Week 1 and the return of Tamba Hali against the Chiefs in Week 2.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Bills give starting LT job to second-rounder Cordy Glenn”
  1. dariusmyles says: Aug 21, 2012 8:00 AM

My bills have missed on all our early picks and stuck gold on our late round and undrafted picks. I hope this guy is the exception, if he fails I’m sure we’ll find another Undrafted star to fill his spot…just like mile Williams.

2. fendergtrs23 says: Aug 21, 2012 8:39 AM

not sure who Any Levitre is…. Or are you referring to the enitre Levitre family? As in any Levitre can play left guard.

3. karl422 says: Aug 21, 2012 8:53 AM

I wanted my Jets to draft him. They will crash and burn with Wayne Hunter at RT. I just don’t understand how MT(the GM) can use another 1st round pick on the DL after using their top two picks in 2011 on the DL.

4. Chase The Future™ says: Aug 21, 2012 11:28 AM

Great point by the guy above me, Cordy Glenn was a slam dunk of a pick as well as Melvin Ingram.

5. mindcrime401 says: Aug 21, 2012 1:46 PM

dariusmyles says: Aug 21, 2012 8:00 AM

You have some serious research to do before making a statement like that. Just since 2009 alone, the Bills drafted talent in the first two rounds to the tune of Marcell Dareus, Eric Wood, Jairus Byrd, and Andy Levitre. Throw in the high potential of Aaron Williams and C.J. Spiller to that mix. This year’s draft yielded Stephon Gilmore and Cordy Glenn. All misses? You’re insane. In the same breath, the only late round pick in that span worth any salt is Arthur Moats. The rest are all either gone from the roster or on their way out. Late round gold? Man, you are toasted.

6. billsboy88 says: Aug 23, 2012 7:06 PM

Kyle Williams was a 5th rounder and Stevie Johnson was a 7th. George Wilson was Undrafted.

Torell Troup, John McCargo, JP Losman, Aaron Maybin and James Hardy were all early round selections by the Bills.

Just sayin….