Calf injury keeping Wisniewski from learning new position, offense

bilde-1 AP

The Raiders have a new offense and a new center.  But the new center is having a hard time learning the new offense because he can’t shake the age-old problem that plagues football teams in training camp.

Injury.

Stefen Wisniewski, who missed the offseason program after surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder, has now been out for more than a week with a calf injury suffered in the preseason opener.

He needs to get the reps,” coach Dennis Allen said Tuesday, via the Detroit Free Press.  “It’s football and you don’t just show up and play so every day he’s not out here he’s a little bit further behind.  But he’s been keeping up mentally as far as taking the mental reps and in the meetings but it’s hard to replace those physical reps you get here and in games.”

There’s no issue with Wisniewski’s toughness.  He played most of his rookie season with the shoulder injury.  Still, the shoulder and now the calf have kept him from learning the team’s new zone blocking scheme, which requires linemen to be more mobile and work in unison.

“You got to be able to move,” Wisniewski said   “If you look at our O-line, that’s one thing we all can do across the board.  We can move, we can run, we’re athletic.  So I think it’s going to work for us, especially with the speed we’ve got at running back.”

For now, the Raiders are more concerned about the speed with which Wisniewski heals.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Calf injury keeping Wisniewski from learning new position, offense”
  1. spellingcopfather says: Aug 22, 2012 6:24 PM

Alot of Raiders news lately, i dont mind Go Raiders!!!

2. rayguyreturns says: Aug 22, 2012 6:55 PM

The kid is a stud. No regrets in taking him in the draft at all. He’s one tough dude, just like his uncle.

3. realfootballfan says: Aug 22, 2012 7:00 PM

Well, Raider fans, if you didn’t have such a dummy for an HC who changed a pretty effective offense to begin with, you wouldn’t be having this problem, now would you?

4. 34bo34 says: Aug 22, 2012 7:14 PM

realfootballfan says: Aug 22, 2012 7:00 PM

I doubt hue jackson would have took the job as offensive coordinator, he called the plays

5. lionsdraftguy says: Aug 22, 2012 8:19 PM

Being a huge Lions fan, I am jealous that you guys drafted Wisniewski. I mean, we ended up getting Titus Young and LeShoure in the 2nd Rd that year, but I really wanted Wisniewski.

6. lunarpie says: Aug 22, 2012 8:34 PM

This kid is very much like his uncle. Must run in the family.

7. cardiovascularendurance says: Aug 22, 2012 8:56 PM

Seems like a few guys have been suffering serious calf injuries lately. I have a lot of sympathy. I tore my calf in a mountain bike race a year ago. I’ve gone though 6 weeks of “standard” PT and am now in my 8th week of PT that has included Graston treatment. It sucks. Best of luck to Wisniewski, Babin, and whoever else is going through this now. I hope their recovery is faster than mine!

8. rodster213 says: Aug 22, 2012 9:17 PM

Beginning to wonder about the 2011 Draft. I wanted the C from FSU last yr and now with Wiz being injured once again……

9. raiderinva says: Aug 22, 2012 9:18 PM

As a Raider fan I get the gut thud that this will be Carson Palmer’s built in excuse for week 1-4….

I can honestly see the quote in front of me…. Well I am not concerned with my ability once I get the ball in my hands, its the journey from the ground to my fingers thats in question.

10. demolition510 says: Aug 22, 2012 9:32 PM

@dumbfootballfan – so you’re saying if we kept Hue, then Wiz wouldn’t have a calf injury? Right.

11. raiderapologist says: Aug 22, 2012 9:41 PM

realfootballfan says: Aug 22, 2012 7:00 PM

——-
    What problem? An injury problem? Wisniewski was destined to be a center regardless of scheme.

12. randomcommenter says: Aug 23, 2012 12:29 AM

Penn State used zone blocking and also focused on movement and athleticism over power. Wiz started at both C and G at Penn State.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he knows the scheme better than the other guys who are getting reps in practice.

I would be more worried about McFadden and the zone blocking. Some RBs don’t adjust well to it. You don’t run through holes, you run through cracks and you have to make a quick decision on which crack to take.

13. realfootballfan says: Aug 23, 2012 2:23 AM

demolition510,

I certainly thought firing the one entity that’s made that mess of a franchise resemble an NFL offense was a mistake, but even with the change, there is more than one guy who can run a vertical, power rushing offense than Hue Jackson.

Actually, there’s one still there if I’m not mistaken in Al Saunders. But you attack me, when your HC is the idiot who thinks Gregg Knapp and his horrid offense helps all of those young players who were doing fine in that system and seemed to suit it better anyway.

Certanly, Wisniewski, and none of the other players for that matter, would be learning a new system if your dumb coach left well enough alone, thus he wouldn’t need game time to perfect something that he’d already learned, now would he?

I can’t wait to see Heyward-Bey play Jerry Rice or Terrell Owens in this offense. This will be funny to watch.

14. joetoronto says: Aug 23, 2012 5:45 AM

The best part is, he calls himself “realfootballfan.” :)

15. oldskoolchopper says: Aug 23, 2012 8:49 AM

Here is the thing…Knapp is a West Coast guy like Mike McCarthy and the Green Bay offense. Reggie and DA probably have seen enough success with it to believe that once you get the right pieces you will score points.

Nobody said the fragile track star non catching WR’s that were here last year were the best guys for this offense. They still need a West Coast tight end too. It won’t happen over night, but it will happen folks.

This year the key to winning will be the defense. The offense really won’t have the whole offense feeling comfortable until next years training camp. Relax and enjoy the ride. Atleast everything is headed in the right direction and we brought in a bunch of quality rookies. I mean Streater and the other young WR’s are solid for sure.

Reggie knows how to identify talent and DA will get it to produce.

As for Wiz….he will be fine when he gets on the field.