Jerome Simpson glad to be free from the “Iron Pimp”

Christian Ponder, Jairus Byrd AP

Missing the first three weeks of the season is going to be difficult for Vikings receiver Jerome Simpson.

But at least he won’t have to depend on the “Iron Pimp.”

That was the name of the snack machine in the Kentucky jail where Simpson spent 15 days after pleading guilty to a felony drug charge, for having two pounds of marijuana shipped to his home. The “Iron Pimp” dispensed the Cheetos that got Simpson through his brief stay.

That part of my life is out of my life,”Simpson told Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “You can take things for granted when you’re a person that’s free, but now that I’ve kind of had my freedom taken away from me, it’s not a good experience.”

For violating the league’s substance abuse policy, he’s suspended three games, and also required to submit to weekly drug tests.

He’s also on what amounts to football house-arrest, after the Vikings are pulling back his reps in practice to get other players ready for his absence. That had Simpson volunteering to work with the scout team just to stay busy.

But no matter the short-term pain, it’s better than an actual jail.

Simpson said fellow inmates were gracious to him, guards less so.

“Sometimes the guards, they kind of have their own egos of me being in the NFL,” Simpson said. “They tried to be a little tougher on me, watched me more. They never laid their hands on me though.”

Mostly, he’s trying to use him time inside as an object lesson, and a chance to turn himself around.

“A lot of guys told me, ‘Don’t come back here, man. This isn’t a place for you,’ ” Simpson said. “They would ask me for autographs. It lifted me up. Sometimes you don’t realize how you can affect people.”

His absence is going to affect the Vikings, who won’t have much in the way of receiving options besides Percy Harvin the first three weeks without him.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Jerome Simpson glad to be free from the “Iron Pimp””
  1. fishercob says: Aug 22, 2012 8:58 AM

The Iron Pimps just became a really popular fantasy team name…

2. silvernblackpa says: Aug 22, 2012 9:04 AM

He sounds sincere and legitimately contrite. I hope he truly is; he’s very talented. Laying that aside, there have been too many lives ruined by drugs, whatever someone’s station in life. Always nice to see someone get clear.

3. sikkcaden says: Aug 22, 2012 9:19 AM

15 days for 2 lbs of marijuana? His lawyers might be the greatest of all-time

4. floriosfuglykid2 says: Aug 22, 2012 9:20 AM

This is just a taste of ‘life after football’ for him. A preview sorta.

5. bleedgreen says: Aug 22, 2012 9:26 AM

I thought he was talking about Mike Brown.

6. bleedgreen says: Aug 22, 2012 9:27 AM

sikkcaden says: Aug 22, 2012 9:19 AM

15 days for 2 lbs of marijuana? His lawyers might be the greatest of all-time
    ————————————

He wasn’t the one that signed for it, and I believe he claimed he didn’t know anything about it. But since it was his house, I guess they had to do SOMETHING.

7. abninf says: Aug 22, 2012 9:28 AM

Suspend three whole games for a felony drug charge. And two whole weeks in jail.. Ohhh gee whiz that’s tough.

8. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 22, 2012 9:40 AM

Vikings will be 2-1 without Simpson and with Adrian only getting a handful of carries. When both are back in Week 4, it should be an exciting offense to watch.

9. jrmbadger says: Aug 22, 2012 9:43 AM

In related news, the Vikings have announced that their new stadium project is already over budget…..

Apparently they had to redesign it slightly to move the stadium’s jail closer to the home locker-room.

The good news though is that they saved some money by removing the trophy room….. I guess they figured they didn’t need it.

10. 69finfan says: Aug 22, 2012 9:54 AM

Heck with the Eagles. His Attorney’s are the real “Dream Team”.

11. burnz1379 says: Aug 22, 2012 9:55 AM

Its just a little pot whats the big deal… I can’t wait to watch him this year, it should be interesting.

12. SparkyGump says: Aug 22, 2012 10:00 AM

15 days for two pounds of cannabis? Fifteen days?! Now I’m a 110% for legal cannabis but gee, I wonder, how many days (years) I would get for two pounds? Our legal system is so effed up. If you’ve got the money to pay the right people, you can get away with most anything. Meanwhile, the other 99% of us are left to do the hard time.

13. davidhuber10 says: Aug 22, 2012 10:15 AM

When I first saw it I thought he going to call mike Brown the iron pimp.

14. abqpacker says: Aug 22, 2012 10:32 AM

—–

I think you and Simpson have been smoking together.

15. rasalghoul says: Aug 22, 2012 10:43 AM

Sounds like a new reality show on FOX.

Next week on Iron Pimp…

16. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 22, 2012 10:46 AM

jrmbadger says:Aug 22, 2012 9:43 AM

________

If they ever find the Ed Thorpe trophy from the 1969 NFL championship, which I believe is either in a government warehouse next to the Ark or in Joe Kapp’s basement, they’ll need that trophy room.

17. kosarsmyidol says: Aug 22, 2012 11:03 AM

He served time for marijuana possession, and Cheetos helped him to survive jail. The munchies jokes just write themselves sometimes.

18. rasalghoul says: Aug 22, 2012 11:11 AM

______________________

The Thorp trophy was never kept by the NFL representative in the AFL-NFL world championship game. It was just inscribed and passed on like the Stanley cup so they still wouldn’t need that trophy room. :)

19. titogetmesometissue says: Aug 22, 2012 1:00 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:Aug 22, 2012 9:40 AM

_________

2-1? Without AD and just a slot receiver for Ponder to throw to? I wish I shared your optimisim, but I don’t see anything better than 1-2…and I’m not even sure about that. I just think this team is going to be worse than last year’s. Hope I’m wrong!

20. zygizag says: Aug 22, 2012 1:30 PM

They could be 3-0 they could be 0-3. It all depends on whether the offense finishes drives with TD’s rather than FG and if the kicker continues to look good in FG department.

21. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 22, 2012 1:31 PM

titogetmesometissue says:Aug 22, 2012 1:00 PM

Hope I’m wrong!
    ________

No you don’t.

22. deltaoracle says: Aug 22, 2012 3:50 PM

As a St. Paul sports writer wrote several weeks ago, the Vikings are lucky that lawyer and bail money don’t count against the salary cap. (The Lions are even luckier the last couple of years.)

23. miahjenn says: Aug 22, 2012 10:10 PM

Completely true story but I used to live in Northern Kentucky and there was a sub shop that he frequented so much that they had a sandwich named after him called the Jerome Simpson special. You just can’t make up that stuff

24. brewdogg says: Aug 22, 2012 11:10 PM

What is hard to believe about the vikings opening 2-1? Their first two games are against Jax and Indy. Which of those two teams are going to be impossible for the Vikings to beat? Anyone?

Look at their schedule. They have an extended training camp this year. I have a hard time believing that more than 2 of their first 8 opponents are going to make the playoffs. There is no reason not to believe that they will be in a position to fight for a playoff spot with their own division opponents in the second half. I’m not saying it is a fight that they can win, but if they can pull an even split in the division, they may have a chance at 10-6. they play seven of the bottom ten teams in the league this year, after all.

25. kw93 says: Aug 26, 2012 9:44 PM

I don’t think people know who Toby and Kyle are. I bet they will.