Darren Sproles could go if he had to, but Saints are staying cautious

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees celebrates with Saints line backer Darren Sproles after touchdown against Vikings Reuters

Saints running back and return man Darren Sproles has been sidelined with a sore knee for the last couple of weeks, and Sproles is expected to remain sidelined until the start of the regular season.

But Sproles says his knee won’t be a problem, and they’re just being cautious until the season starts.

If I had to play, I could,” Sproles told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “But this is the thing. They don’t want to rush me right now. They see it as preseason games so there’s no use in risking it.”

The Saints obviously don’t want Sproles to take a pounding during the preseason when he’s at anything less than 100 percent, so we won’t see him on the field until Week One against the Redskins. And from all indications, he’ll be at 100 percent when the games count for real.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
8 Responses to “Darren Sproles could go if he had to, but Saints are staying cautious”
  1. tearsofhaten says: Aug 23, 2012 6:56 AM

This guy is just so fast and quick.

2. joetoronto says: Aug 23, 2012 7:11 AM

All 5 Charger fans cringe when they hear the name Darren Sproles.

3. sb44champs says: Aug 23, 2012 9:20 AM

Sproles is the grease between the gears of the Saints’ high-octane offensive machine!!

4. tmac4454 says: Aug 23, 2012 9:47 AM

One of the most explosive players in the NFL. The Saints needs to keep this young man healthy. It is a pleasure to see this young with the ball in his hands. The Chargers are still shaking their heads between Brees and Sproles. When is Philip Rivers and crew going to get their ring?

5. sandiegosportswire says: Aug 23, 2012 9:55 AM

The curse of AJ Smith! Rodney Harrison left a void in our secondary that we feel to this day. Brees and Sproles….. DAMN YOU AJ!

6. whitemike55 says: Aug 23, 2012 10:08 AM

Doubtful, but I would love for him to fall to me in the late 3rd rd.

Not a Saints fan, but he is fun to watch.

7. samapoc says: Aug 23, 2012 10:33 AM

I never thought Sproles could be as good as Bush. Boy was I wrong about that.

8. realdealsteel says: Aug 23, 2012 11:32 AM

If you’d have looked, the numbers told you Sproles was better then bush BEFORE he left the chargers. But AJ is an idiot. Glad I’m not a chargers fan.