Drayton Florence wants to go from covering players to finding them

Drayton Florence AP

Broncos cornerback Drayton Florence has hung around a decade in the NFL by being a smart, steady pro.

Now that he’s closer to the end of his career than the beginning, he’s thinking about looking for them rather than being one.

Florence told Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post he wants to get into personnel when he’s finished playing.

“Just knowing what to look for in a player, I think I have that and would like to see what the opportunities are at some point,” Florence said. “I’ve been in the league 10 years, I’ve seen all types of different players, body types. You’ve got to get the right type of player to fit the scheme that you’re running.

“It will be an interesting task, I think it would be a good fit for me. A lot of guys really don’t do it, but I’ve been around football all my life. This is what I know. I’m not going to go try to be a chemical engineer when I’m done playing. This is what I’ve been doing. I want to stick to what I know.”

The Broncos are like many teams, whose front offices contain several former players, including director of player personnel Matt Russell, assistant director of college scouting Lenny McGill and area scout Cornell Green.

Florence said he looks at film differently now, thinking how he’d evaluate players as a scout.

“I probably look at it more now from a personnel standpoint when I’m breaking down my opponent. How they put their teams together, what kinds of players that have that fit or don’t fit,” he said. “In the preseason, especially, I kind of look at the defensive backs, the receivers and I’m always looking at the quarterbacks.”

A lot of players think the way Florence thinks, until they get into it.

The scouting world is a lot more of a grind than many realize, and especially if they’ve made a little money, it proves to be more work than many former players want.

It’s far from necessary to have played to evaluate, but smart bosses put together a blend of perspectives which includes former players, to make sure they get a broad range of opinions.

The pay’s not quite the same as playing, so Florence shouldn’t be in a hurry, but at least he has a plan.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Drayton Florence wants to go from covering players to finding them”
  1. theralph2012 says: Aug 23, 2012 11:01 AM

While he had his struggles, Bills fans will always love Dray-Flo for his pick 6 against the Pats to end the streak. You’re a stand-up guy Drayton, good luck in Denver. #billsmafia

2. joetoronto says: Aug 23, 2012 11:03 AM

In other words, he’s tired of getting ripped off, so he’s going to start ripping others off.

3. EJ says: Aug 23, 2012 11:40 AM

theralph2012 says:
    Aug 23, 2012 11:01 AM

Yes, most definitely. That pick 6 was one of my favorite plays of all time! Punking Mark Sanchez wasn’t bad either! Good luck Dray! #BillsMafia

4. rockhill32 says: Aug 23, 2012 12:02 PM

Maybe he can show players how to concuss a QB with a cheap shot on an interception return. HOU at SD 2007 Matt Schaub

5. yesimabillsfan says: Aug 23, 2012 12:26 PM

Billsmafia will always love flo was sad to see u go and will Always remember the pats game when u picked off Satan reincarnated good luck

6. ihatethejets23 says: Aug 23, 2012 12:33 PM

Dray has a solid player and I always liked him as a Bill. I have his Sports Illustrated cover of him running his pick into the endzone after the Bills beat the Pats last year. #BillsMafia

7. trollhammer20 says: Aug 23, 2012 12:41 PM

Play for a decade, bank a few million bucks, then spend the next few years as a scout, going from college game to college game, constantly living, breathing, eating, sleeping, and talking football, before moving into a front office and doing the same.

I suddenly hate my job a lot more. :-(

8. boltdaddy says: Aug 23, 2012 1:08 PM

DF wants to evaluate talent for NFL team? This from the clown who cost the Bolts the 2007 Divisional playoff game against the Pats with, of all things, a personal foul on third and long keeping an otherwise dead drive alive for Brady and company.

He may have grown up since leaving SD but his resume here makes him a suspect evaluator of talent in my view.