Jets throw in the towel, bench Wayne Hunter

Miami Dolphins v New York Jets Getty Images

Jets coach Rex Ryan announced at a press conference this morning that embattled right tackle Wayne Hunter would no longer be his starting right tackle.

So much for not looking to replace him. They keep talking him up, in hopes of salvaging his ego, as much as anything else. But hours after those kind words, they were replacing him.

Austin Howard will get the first shot, but it’s clear they’re going to keep looking, even if they continue to say they’re not.

There have been signs that Hunter could be an acceptable NFL blocker, and it doesn’t take a long look around the league to see lines that could probably use him.

But at this point, Hunter has become a pinata, and everyone in New York has taken a moment from obsessing over Tim Tebow to take a whack at him.

Truth be told, the Jets are probably doing Hunter a favor, because the criticism of his game has gained its own momentum, and allowing him a break for it might enable him to save whatever’s left of his career.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Jets throw in the towel, bench Wayne Hunter”
  1. noreasterforlife says: Aug 23, 2012 11:37 AM

I got excited when I first read “The Jets throw in the towel”.
    But seriously I want to thank the Jets for their efforts in providing the Patriots, Bills and Dolphins a 2-0 record against them this season.
    Keep up the good work Rex. I hope you keep your job for a LONG time!

2. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 23, 2012 11:37 AM

Have they thought about trying Tebow at right tackle?

3. electionconfidential says: Aug 23, 2012 11:56 AM

Rex is the biggest liar since Jim Irsay. Nothing either one of them says has the slightest bit of credibility. It hasn’t even been 24 hours for Pete’s sake..

4. btowngetsdown says: Aug 23, 2012 11:56 AM

Not too long ago, Jets Offensive Line Coach Dave DeGuglielmo had this to say about Wayne Hunter. “But I’ll be honest with you: This guy is the starting right tackle. Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be the starting right tackle and he’s going to play well.”

So, since Hunter has not been shipped out of town, does this mean that DeGuglielmo is currently suffering from a gunshot wound in his office?

5. floriosfuglykid2 says: Aug 23, 2012 11:58 AM

That collective whine you hear is from all the DEs in the NFL … moaning at once.

6. canadianbillsfan says: Aug 23, 2012 11:59 AM

So the Jets are essentially downgrading from Wayne Hunter????

Man, Mario Williams must be licking his chops.

I CAN’T WAIT FOR WEEK 1!!!!!!!!!!

7. yelix says: Aug 23, 2012 12:01 PM

This is where the Jets realize they should have aggressively pursued Eric Winston when they had the chance.

8. sactogary says: Aug 23, 2012 12:02 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:
    Have they thought about trying Tebow at right tackle?

Actually, Cromartie is the second best tackle on the team.

9. bigjdve says: Aug 23, 2012 12:03 PM

Anyone that can get off the Jets, they should run and be happy that they are better for it.

10. tjacks7 says: Aug 23, 2012 12:03 PM

Who would win a 1-on-1, Vernon Gholston or Wayne Hunter? The world may shatter.

11. greymares says: Aug 23, 2012 12:14 PM

Austin Howard will be a player, as an Eagle fan i liked him alot, but i guess he didn’t do that well in the Howard Mudd system. I expect him to do well with a different line coach.

12. gottaplan says: Aug 23, 2012 12:19 PM

The JETS do that all the time. It’s Rex Ryans tell. If he talks you up then you can bet he is trying to trade you before he replaces you.

13. weepingjebus says: Aug 23, 2012 12:23 PM

“No, if there is something out there … At this time, people are looking to move a player or this player or whatever. But right now to say that we’re in the market for a new head coach, I don’t believe that to be an accurate statement.”

14. cowboyhater says: Aug 23, 2012 12:23 PM

Skins badly need a RT, and the Jets could use a reliable pass catching TE. As much as I would hate to lose the guy, a Cooley for Hunter trade would work out perfect. Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan, make the call!!

15. dalucks says: Aug 23, 2012 12:23 PM

Whatever happened to a team letting a player play himself out of a slump. Eventually, Wayne has to get better. Just like the Jets offense, he cannot get any worse.

16. tonyinmd says: Aug 23, 2012 12:25 PM

How can anybody take anything Rex or their GM says seriously.

This is the second time this offseason that they spent days talking up people that they new damn well they were pushing out the door.

What a comedy show the Jets are…

17. catquick says: Aug 23, 2012 12:35 PM

Just this morning Rex told.Boomer what a good plauet Hunter was, now, just hours later, he throws him under the bus.

18. jetsarestacked says: Aug 23, 2012 12:36 PM

@canadianbillsfan

cant wait for week 1 either. the jets have run all over the bills the last few years. mario williams wont stop that.

19. coachpate7 says: Aug 23, 2012 12:38 PM

Last year Rex Ryan couldn’t say enough about Wayne Hunter and Wayne hunter was the right tackle when the Jets beat New England.

You could tell when Hunter was playing, because Mark Sanchez had a clean uniform.

Wait and see what happens when the season starts. Don’t write off Hunter yet as no one works harder or is as serious as Hunter’s desire to help the Jets win, no matter what his role is.

20. fmwarner says: Aug 23, 2012 12:41 PM

I feel a little bad for Wayne. I mean, so he’s not good enough to start. Fine. It’s not the worst thing in the world, and this guy is getting worked over pretty good.

21. dtr3e says: Aug 23, 2012 12:50 PM

As a Jets fan all i have to say is “About damn time!” I been saying this since the Cowboys game last season when Ware made Hunter look stupid out there. Time and time again in that game Ware would spin Hunter around and Hunter would try to block him with his back facing him. I really wish the Jets would have tried to sign Turner before he left for St. Louis they need all the O-line help they can get. I applaud u Rex Ryan for finally doing what most of us would have done a year ago!

22. raji1824 says: Aug 23, 2012 1:01 PM

Ain’t no liar in this league. It’s just the way business is done in NFL

23. mickeylolich1968 says: Aug 23, 2012 1:14 PM

I’ve been a Patriots fan for years and in the “before time” there was plenty of bad football in Foxborough so I can say I know bad football when I see it.
    I look at the Jets, I don’t see bad football, I see a team that deserves a lot more respect.
    Sure, Rex is a little out there, but it can’t be easy to come in and be expected to push Belichick and Brady aside.
    How have the Jets done in recent years? Two conference championship games… hmm, not bad.
    How have the jets done against New England head to head? Better than most to say the least.
    I think it’s a little early to put two games against the Jets in the W column just yet.

24. jakpsu1 says: Aug 23, 2012 1:19 PM

Rex will announce tomorrow that the Jets plan to experiment with Tebow at RT.

25. beerbaron says: Aug 23, 2012 1:24 PM

Didn’t Rex once call Hunter “the best backup tackle in the league”?

26. dyims says: Aug 23, 2012 1:27 PM

Coachpate7

What game were you watching last year where thr Jets beat the Pats? It must have been a replay of some other year. IIRC the Jets got swept by the Pats last year.

27. peepeetoucher says: Aug 23, 2012 1:31 PM

dalucks says: Aug 23, 2012 12:23 PM

Slumps don’t last a whole season, and pick up right where you left off in 1st pre season game back the following year.

28. billhicks666 says: Aug 23, 2012 1:45 PM

canadianbillsfan says:

“So the Jets are essentially downgrading from Wayne Hunter????
    Man, Mario Williams must be licking his chops.”

Better hope he’s not licking them too hard. Knowing him, he’ll probably sprain his tongue.

29. jetsarestacked says: Aug 23, 2012 2:08 PM

@dyims

hunter was the starter in the playoffs when the jets beat the pats.

30. eeerockski says: Aug 23, 2012 2:21 PM

Now if they’d just bench Shonn Greene they’d be headed in the right direction.

31. jetstizzi85 says: Aug 23, 2012 3:20 PM

@ noreasterforlife – just to be clear can you please tell me when in the Rex era with the Jets have the Jets gone 0-6 against the AFC East…..Dont worry, I will wait

32. jetstizzi85 says: Aug 23, 2012 3:23 PM

Bills fans – Mario “I seem to ALWAYS get hurt” Williams should be more worried about how he is going to stay healthy an entire season.

33. rcali says: Aug 23, 2012 3:52 PM

Somebody needs to find out where the GM and Coach were during this past offseason during free agency and during the draft. You can not tell me they were blindsided by the right tackle issue.

Rex may be looking at some extra time this offseason to be in movies and hopefully he can find a role for the GM.

34. fdugrad says: Aug 23, 2012 5:14 PM

They kept talking him up to save his ego and then benched him? Man, if I was MS, I would be VERY worried about now!