“Pretty good chance” Richardson plays Week One for Browns

Trent Richardson AP

With the Browns two weeks away from their regular-season opener and running back Trent Richardson more than two weeks removed from his latest arthroscopic knee surgery, Richardson could be back on the field when the Browns host the Eagles in 15 days.

G.M. Tom Heckert said during Friday night’s pregame show (via the Akron Beacon Journal) that the third overall pick in the draft has a “pretty good chance” of playing in the season opener.

It would be a surprise if the Browns are cautious with Richardson.  With everyone suddenly on the hot seat in Cleveland, they need to get the most out of Richardson, or they won’t be there when Richardson gives his most.

That ultimately could be why team president Mike Holmgren opted to trade up for Richardson.  Running backs are the most likely rookies to make an immediate impact, and the current power structure needs a major impact, immediately, or new owner Jimmy Haslam will be bringing in his own guys.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to ““Pretty good chance” Richardson plays Week One for Browns”
  1. 4ever85 (aka Butch DeadLift) says: Aug 25, 2012 11:12 PM

I love the way this kid runs. He may not be a phenomenon like AP, but he’s gonna lower his shoulder and wake up some of those Ds in a tough conference.

Also, I drafted him on my FF team – get well soon T-Rich!

2. 4ever85 (aka Butch DeadLift) says: Aug 25, 2012 11:13 PM

Division, I mean. Whatevers.

3. stranebrain says: Aug 25, 2012 11:16 PM

He’s my #2 fantasy rb. So hell yeah, immediate impact sounds good

4. hedleykow says: Aug 26, 2012 12:27 AM

Rookie will blow enough blocking assignments in the season opener to get the qb killed.

Eagles in a teaser.

Easy call.

5. scoobaj says: Aug 26, 2012 12:34 AM

#1 rule of Fantasy league: do not talk about fantasy league, cuz no one cares about your team but you

6. wayne1693 says: Aug 26, 2012 2:28 AM

This hard-working kid deserves some GOOD LUCK!

Note to the above: I know you are going to laugh at me, but please explain the major attraction of FF? Is it the betting and/or getting to pretend you are a GM?

7. borophyll says: Aug 26, 2012 8:40 AM

Richardson won’t do jack if the right side of the O-line doesn’t get its act together and soon. I’m talking to you, Mitchell Schwartz.