Matthew Stafford, Kevin Smith appear to escape serious injury

Matthew+Stafford+Detroit+Lions+v+Oakland+Raiders+y5LcmFG1tiMl Getty Images

There’s little worse than having your starting quarterback leave with an injury in the preseason, but it looks like the Lions got little more than a temporary scare from Matthew Stafford on Saturday.

The Lions quarterback left the game with an injury to his left hand, but x-rays taken during the contest were negative. Stafford, who wore a wrap on the hand, said afterward that he would have returned if it had been a regular season game.

“Probably what would have happened in a regular season game is right after it happened, I would have up for x-rays,” Stafford said, via Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. “If they would have said they were negative, I would have come back in the game. It feels okay right now. It feels fine, really. It’s scary to look down and see your hand swell up by the second.”

Running back Kevin Smith also seems to have avoided an injury that will keep him out of the lineup for an extended period. The oft-injured running back hurt his ankle early in the second half, but also got good news when x-rays came back negative on Saturday.

“It just gets scary under the pile of those big guys laying on you. It’s just a minor tweak, something I’m pretty sure I can get rid of quick. Just stay in the training room,” Smith said. “More than anything, I was very scared. Just being that I had a high ankle sprain, I know how long it took to get back healthy. It’s not a high ankle sprain, so that’s positive. I’ll get in the treatment room and get back as soon as I can.”

Given the thin ranks at running back early in the season for Detroit, an injury to Smith would have forced the team to look for backfield help before the season starts. They still might do that, but it doesn’t appear they will be quite as desperate as many feared when Smith hobbled off the field in Oakland.

Now the Lions just need to clear up the status of the two cornerbacks who went down against the Raiders to make the whole night a momentary scare instead of a lingering problem.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Matthew Stafford, Kevin Smith appear to escape serious injury”
  1. lionsdraftguy says: Aug 26, 2012 9:04 AM

Thats good news. Cuz id hate to see the Niners fans cry because Stafford beat them with a broken hand.

2. Kelly's Chronicles says: Aug 26, 2012 9:08 AM

what is going on this year with the injuries? Seems to be epidemic throughout league. Wondering if the less time for the clubs to work with the players is impacting this (not as in shape, or not working out properly)….

3. snoilog says: Aug 26, 2012 9:19 AM

lionsdraftguy says:
    Aug 26, 2012 9:04 AM

——————————————
    So true!!!

4. hatesycophants says: Aug 26, 2012 9:40 AM

Any way we could get Mika David back to covering the Lions? Even Silva is better than Josh Alper.

5. cornernum23 says: Aug 26, 2012 9:46 AM

Stafford gets injured all the time. There I said it. Now hopefully that’ll be the last of the “Stafford is injury prone.” comments.

6. lilrob10201 says: Aug 26, 2012 9:55 AM

7. punkyqb says: Aug 26, 2012 10:05 AM

China dolls.

8. dobberdubinsky says: Aug 26, 2012 10:16 AM

“I am not a Lions fan but I would hate if Stafford’s injury was serious because I like seeing the Lions doing good after seeing them fail every year since I started watching football.”

================================

9. jamezz23 says: Aug 26, 2012 10:29 AM

Stafford is a monster of a player. Wouldn’t want any other QB in the league to lead my team, most of the reason is that he’s only 24 and hasn’t even hit his prime yet and lit the league up last year.

10. metzgerf says: Aug 26, 2012 10:36 AM

I was hoping Kellen Less — I mean, Moore — would have gotten injured. Dude can hardly throw the ball 30 yards, and that’s if he lofts it.

11. EJ says: Aug 26, 2012 10:49 AM

Injuries have been coming by the 10′s & 20′s per pre-season week. Do NFL teams not focus on strength and conditioning anymore, or does the injury bug just come and go when it wants to? I know Stafford is very injury prone, but it seems that no one can stay healthy these days. Last season was one of the highest for players on IR in a long time. Either these players do not train correctly or it is just bad luck spreading across the league.

12. jaggedmark says: Aug 26, 2012 10:55 AM

————————————–
    And since he gets hurt (all the time), that makes last year’s 5,000 plus yard passing season all the more impressive, right? There, I said it.

13. samoanjungle says: Aug 26, 2012 11:03 AM

@Kelly’s Chronicles
    I think it is a byproduct of guys continually getting bigger, faster and leaner. Speed plus mass and less cushion to absorb impact.

14. dangle13x says: Aug 26, 2012 12:07 PM

“Ya but, they’re the Lions, losing is what they do. It’s kinda weird to see them win……and I don’t like it. Seeing them win is like it snowing in Mexico….it just shouldn’t happen.”

Great anaylsis. Glad you perceive the world through whether or not things seem weird to you, a clearly clueless, most likely minimally educated mongoloid. Thanks for absolutely nothing.

15. dangle13x says: Aug 26, 2012 12:10 PM

They don’t even mention Bill Bentley going down last night. What do Lion’s fans think about bringing in a guy like Cliff Harris for a shot at backup CB? Eagles just cut him, not to mention we lost Logan and Harris is a dynamic return man. Obviously he has off the field issues, got booted from Oregon. But so what. Watch some of this guys highlights on youtube. Beast mode.

16. purpleguy says: Aug 26, 2012 12:29 PM

It’s his left hand, big deal, he’ll be fine. Now as to the RB situation . . . .

17. essentialsausage says: Aug 26, 2012 1:06 PM

We knew last night that Stafford wasn’t seriously injured. Get on the ball, PFT.