Skip to content

Pats part ways with Donte’ Stallworth

Donte Stallworth, Curtis Marsh AP

The logjam at wideout has gotten a little thinner in New England.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, receiver Donte’ Stallworth has been released.

Stallworth returned to New England earlier this year, after appearing in every game of a 16-0 perfect season in 2007, starting nine.  A first-round pick of the Saints in 2002, Stallworth has remained in the NFL for a full decade without ever generating a 1,000-yard season.

Stallworth had appeared in all three of New England’s preseason games, catching five passes for 61 yards.  Other veteran receivers possibly on the roster bubble include Deion Branch and Jabar Gaffney.

Stallworth has played for the Saints, Eagles, Patriots, Browns, Ravens, and Redskins.  He returned to the game in 2010 after a full-season suspension resulting from a guilty plea to DUI manslaughter in Miami.  At a time when the Miami Dolphins could use help at the position, it’s hard not to wonder whether the Dolphins will be interested — and whether that three-year-old incident would be an impediment.

If the Dolphins pass on this specific pass-catcher, there’s always Seattle.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
22 Responses to “Pats part ways with Donte’ Stallworth”
  1. c0rona55 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:11 AM

    Oooo….a WR has become a free agent. **Paging the NY Jets** Start talking about potential players being signed Sal Pal!

  2. chesslungo says: Aug 27, 2012 9:11 AM

    He could start in the Ohio Penal League

  3. descendency says: Aug 27, 2012 9:14 AM

    I’ve watched all 3 patriots pre-season games and he just doesn’t have it.

    I wish him luck with another team, though.

  4. britishraven says: Aug 27, 2012 9:17 AM

    He never had ‘it’ and never will get ‘it’. A waste of a roster spot for any team unless you want a guy that can only run a go route and can’t catch.

  5. bettis3636 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:20 AM

    This guy returns to MIA it should be for prison! Manslaughter is atleast a 9-10 yr sentence…. just saying

  6. Patskrieg dot com says: Aug 27, 2012 9:29 AM

    Stallworth and Gaffney have both looked like junk the entire preseason. Deion Branch coming in on a short camp and showing the both of them up tells the whole story here.

  7. jgava19 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:43 AM

    Now he has a reason to go get himself hammered, again.

  8. kelvinmchale says: Aug 27, 2012 9:44 AM

    Dont’e dropped way too many balls in camp and during the preseason games. Pats have other, better options so he had to go.

  9. donjuan1906 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:50 AM

    As a loyal Browns fan – Patriot fans consider losing Stallworth as addition by subtraction!

    He came to Cleveland and got a HUGE payday and didn’t produce worth a damn!

    I will never forget the beginning of the 2008 season, coming off the 10-6 2007 season, we were amped about having this guy – then low and behold he has a “STRAINED” groin in warm ups prior to the Cowboy game and he didn’t show up until half way through a dead season!

    Then to add insult to inury he goes and runs a poor fella over in Miami in his freakin’ Bentley, off our dime!

    I have one term that comes to my mind when I hear Donte Stallworths name” He’s simply, “Hot Garbage!”

  10. beargonephishing says: Aug 27, 2012 10:08 AM

    Regarding his manslaughter charge: the circumstances that led to him running into a man in the wee hours of the morning could have happened to anyone- a guy jaywalking in the middle of the road,rushing to catch a bus, in a 40 mph zone.

    Under Florida law, Stallworth could have got off completely but insisted on taking responsibility.

    He’s a class act and I hope his nfl career is not yet over.

  11. theralph2012 says: Aug 27, 2012 10:25 AM

    The fact that this Murderer has even seen another snap in the NFL is mind boggling to me, but hey its the NFL, the league where we turn a blind eye to any previous history as long as they can play!

  12. vincentbojackson says: Aug 27, 2012 10:55 AM

    Belichick figured he was of no use to the offense since he doesn’t play tight end and insists on running routes beyond Brady’s check down range.

  13. EJ says: Aug 27, 2012 10:58 AM

    Stallworth doesn’t have much left in those legs, not to mention he has been dropping balls lately. If anyone takes a chance on him it won’t be Miami. I think the front office for the Dolphins knows bad advertisement when they see it, I mean c’mon, the guy killed a resident of Florida. I don’t think many Miami fans would be happy to see this kids name on their roster. His career might be cut short.

  14. brownsclown says: Aug 27, 2012 11:00 AM

    Sounds like something he and his buddy Braylon ‘hands of stone’ Edwards can have a drink over. BTW, now that he doesn’t have a scheduling problem, TO may join them!

  15. eventhorizon04 says: Aug 27, 2012 11:02 AM

    The Miami Dolphins a few months ago signed a wide-receiver with a checkered past who was cut by the Patriots.

    That story didn’t turn out so well for the Dolphins or the receiver’s wife’s head.

    So I don’t see them trying that again so soon.

  16. tubaplayingprof says: Aug 27, 2012 11:09 AM

    All the WRs stories, from Chad, to TO, To Donte, seems to me to illustrate how key the passing game is to the NFL nowadays. Who any of these aging players had had so many chances as they seem to have now?

  17. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Aug 27, 2012 11:40 AM

    Dear Jeff Ireland:

    PUT DOWN THE PHONE!!!!

    You can’t spell Dont’ae without a DON’T. As in DON’T DO IT!!!!

    Thank you for your attention to this matter.

    Sincerely,

    Dolphin Fan

  18. cwmorga says: Aug 27, 2012 11:49 AM

    He scored a TD in 6 of his first 7 NFL games. As a Saints fan I was disappointed that he never built on that early success.

  19. thesmartestmanever says: Aug 27, 2012 12:03 PM

    Stallworth and Gaffney both produced close to 1,000 yds last year on a bad Redskins team led by a bad Rex Grossman problem is they are both possesionn type receivers. and N.E. is a team full of possesion type receivers. Belichick or as you all call him in Boston “friggin god” can’t seem to find a true number one deep threat wide out. so as i once heard outside of the black rose. “I’m gonna get in my cah, go to the Bah and get a bowl of chowdah, you wicked pissah

  20. nola5712 says: Aug 27, 2012 12:07 PM

    what cwmorga said. we, in new orleans, were very excited after this guy’s early production. i remember watching just to see him chase records in his rookie season. wasted talent if you ask me. i hope he gets his mind right and gets on with another team.

  21. csilojohnson says: Aug 27, 2012 12:41 PM

    Good, he should be in jail though. Amazing how transparent our “pay for justice” system is.

  22. jwreck says: Aug 27, 2012 2:09 PM

    Stop the presses! New Headline: “32 year-old receiver who never quite lived up to his first round status gets cut”!

    In other breaking news, “Albert Haynesworth eats a bag of Doritos!”, “J.P. Losman remains available, no teams apparently interested!”, and “Matt Millen trims mustache!”

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!