With new security procedures, Raiders suggest fans show up two hours early

AFC-NFC Pro Football Hall of Fame Game: Oakland Raiders v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Getting into a football game may soon take longer than getting onto a plane.

The NFL has instituted the use of hand-held metal detectors at all stadiums, starting with last Friday’s game between the Eagles and Browns.  According to NBCBayArea.com, the Raiders are suggesting that fans show up two hours early.

Two hours.

Of course, folks who show up early and who get in early will be able to pay way too much for food and beverages well before the game starts.  So they have that going for them.  Which is nice.

We support efforts to keep stadiums safe.  But there has to be a way that doesn’t require folks to show up two hours early — and that doesn’t result in fans who don’t show up two hours early standing in lines for too long and missing part of the game.

If the NFL wants folks to choose coming to the stadium over staying home, that needs to be fixed.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
45 Responses to “With new security procedures, Raiders suggest fans show up two hours early”
  1. beardinals says: Aug 27, 2012 8:37 PM

Yet, another reason to stay home and watch on 1080p.

2. to147 says: Aug 27, 2012 8:38 PM

Season ticket holder for 11 years (not of the raiders) and if I have to go to any game 2 hours early I’m done.

3. jaydog76 says: Aug 27, 2012 8:41 PM

Yeah, I think I’ll just stay home. Hell, I can’t afford to go to the games anymore anyway…… even if they DO get wifi for every fan. It is a shame, used to go to about 4 games a year.

4. carlsbadboltfan says: Aug 27, 2012 9:04 PM

I’m a Chargers season ticket holder and we had the hand-held metal detectors since our first preseason game. Didn’t have to show up 2 hours earlier either.

Notice how this says “RAIDERS suggest fans show up 2 hours early”. Some of those ridiculous costumes they wear are probably all metal and require a longer check.

5. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 27, 2012 9:04 PM

Are they TRYING to make people stay home?
    It’s already something of an ordeal going to games..
    Hmmm…. It didn’t used to be. Maybe I just got old….

6. slugbaitspace says: Aug 27, 2012 9:06 PM

And the field is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia.

7. raiderrob21 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:06 PM

Showing up 2 hours early is nothing in the Black Hole. There are lines of people lined up outside the gates…THE NIGHT BEFORE the game. Side streets are jam packed at 6AM for 1PM kickoff. The problem is going to be getting everyone to put down their drinks of choice and close up the tailgates early enough to not miss kickoff.

RAIDER NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. nyyjetsknicks says: Aug 27, 2012 9:09 PM

How about they don’t dress up unless it’s Halloween?

9. touchdownroddywhite says: Aug 27, 2012 9:11 PM

I don’t show up two hours early for my flights either. I just make sure to show up at a time that should be after the initial “rush” and usually breeze right through. I’m sure I could hit the gate 20 minutes before the game and, thanks to the responsible people who waited in line for 2 hours to get to their seat in a timely manner, make it to my seat after missing a few snaps or less to start the game!

10. mjbulls45 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:12 PM

axl rose performing in the parking lot!!!

i’ll be there early anyways

11. villa41 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:14 PM

Why wouldn’t you be at the game 2 hours early, especially if you’re tailgating? I can’t remember going to game where I haven’t been there at least 3 hours before kick off.

No wonder this country is going soft. Now, we have so called “fans” showing up a few minutes before the game starts and probably leaving with 10 minutes left in the 4th to avoid traffic, no matter what the score.

Oh, by the way, I have The Ticket with a 50 inch HDTV, and the live game experience still beats TV. You have to be a real fan to realize that, though.

12. maiphatdong says: Aug 27, 2012 9:16 PM

not a big deal, been doing this in cali forever….2hours is way over exaggerating

13. c0rona55 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:22 PM

I just saw a program called “gang wars” .. in Oakland and how nut jobs out there fight for turf like it’s the German Army trying to keep out the allies!! GET IT TOGETHER BAY AREA!

14. shian11 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:23 PM

Both Bucs preseason games everyone was wanded. Took 2 minutes longer with the extra personnel they had there. No big deal–may e raiders should by more than 1 wand

15. dannymac17 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:26 PM

Well, you can always tailgate and wait for the mad rush to be over at the gates.

16. nyjets1017 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:27 PM

The metal detector wands go faster then a pat down

17. jm91rs says: Aug 27, 2012 9:28 PM

Yeah you better get there 2 hours early so you don’t miss the 1st quarter. Palmer will already have thrown 2 pick sixes by the end of the first.

18. civilizationsdying says: Aug 27, 2012 9:29 PM

How’d you like to be the one looking over the armor and mock weaponry of all the Raiders fans to try and figure out if any of it could possibly be real?

19. wisjeff says: Aug 27, 2012 9:33 PM

nice Caddyshack reference Big Mike…..well played…….

20. radrntn says: Aug 27, 2012 9:34 PM

thats what airlines says as well, but really who does that……maybe 30 mins

21. csilojohnson says: Aug 27, 2012 9:59 PM

Axl Rose is a dbag….. To say you arent a real fan if you think TV is better than going to the game is the second dumbest thing ive read in these comments. Sunday ticket is 250$, ive seen PRESEASON tickets going for $500+. I can pause, rewind etc., bathroom is close, beer, and food is cheap, couch is more comfortable, and most importantly I can smoke all the reefer I want. I could keep going but you get it… Dont get me wrong, going to a game is a great experience. To say I’m not a real fan because I would rather stay home is stupid.

22. johninthewest says: Aug 27, 2012 10:16 PM

WOW! Sitting for 5 hours to watch the Raiders loose is a major commitment!

23. hailvictory10 says: Aug 27, 2012 10:18 PM

” I was surrounded by pimps, murderers, and rapists, it was like being at a Raiders game.” – LT Frank Drebin, police squad

24. 50milessouthofdetroit says: Aug 27, 2012 10:26 PM

i’m a lions season ticket holder and it took literally 2 minutes to go through the line i was in and the game was sold out. they also had the new wands btw in week 1

25. jaymc1988 says: Aug 27, 2012 10:34 PM

yes good article. i was thinking this when i first read the title im like ok this isnt going to help nfls problem of decreasing attendance

26. youngster026 says: Aug 27, 2012 10:34 PM

The Raiders have walk-thru metal detectors (like the airport) this year, not wands..

27. 1bigtex says: Aug 27, 2012 10:46 PM

@raiderrob21

Uh dude, is that why the Raiders have some of the worst attendance numbers in the whole freakin’ league? A couple of years there where they couldn’t even get above 75% attendance. That’s pathetic. Black Out Central! Of course who would want to see a game in that joke of a stadium.

Metal detectors might have a lot more to do with Oakland being one of the most crime ridden cities in the US.

28. robgilman says: Aug 27, 2012 11:04 PM

tell ppl to get there 2 hours early, they end up getting there an hour early. same concept i use with my gf whenever she has to get ready to go somewhere

29. emil4423 says: Aug 27, 2012 11:05 PM

jm91rs says:
    Aug 27, 2012 9:28 PM

Come to a raider game and say that punk

30. pantherpro says: Aug 27, 2012 11:26 PM

I dont want to smell that Raider stench for more than two hours prior to game anyway. Hopefully, they will check for guns for all the trash that sit in the Black Hole. Please take off the Halloween costumes you fools! It’s not cool… people are laughing at you idiots!

Stomper

31. patfic15 says: Aug 27, 2012 11:29 PM

I remember a few years back going to a Saints game in NO. They were playing the Raiders. I will never forget what a group of trash was there representing “raider nation”. Probably the worst game I ever went to. I wouldn’t go to a Raiders game if it were free.

32. nflhof says: Aug 27, 2012 11:42 PM

Sir your going to have to take off your metal spiked shoulder pads…..ok I need you to remove the pinhead mask so we can make sure you don’t have a……mam can you please remove your metal spike shorts so we can wand you….. Maybe that’s why fans need to be there so early? I’m just saying

33. robgilman says: Aug 28, 2012 12:43 AM

In addition the Raiders also recommend that Charger fans don’t show up at all. :)

34. thegreatonesays says: Aug 28, 2012 12:54 AM

@emil4423 Give me a break. Why is it Raiders fans are the only ones that always make that remark? Oooh come say that at a Raiders game. I have been a police officer in Oakland, and Los Angeles. Oakland is no tougher than Hollywood I really hate to break it to ya.

35. lumpinyourthroat says: Aug 28, 2012 1:28 AM

Less the 5% of fans at raider games come dressed in those outfits. The media loves to sell that and so its what they show. The other 95% have there favorite players jersey and the regular northern Cali fit on. Jeans, sneakers maybe a white tee. I have seen a few fights in the 70 plus games I have gone to and 99.9% of them where fueled by a couple knuckle heads just like at every other venue. For a bunch of posters who routinely whine about how the media heads of this website report there storys alot of you sure believe the hype.

36. rushbacker says: Aug 28, 2012 1:43 AM

If it takes two hours to file all those criminal vermin in, it should be twenty minutes tops anywhere else.

37. hoodheisman says: Aug 28, 2012 3:25 AM

I’ve got to show up an hour early to the local Raiders bar to get a seat. I’ll gladly show up a few hours early to the Black Hole. It’s more a tradition thing. First one there…. last one to leave…. and proud of it.

38. minormillikin says: Aug 28, 2012 4:19 AM

If they want to make Oakland games safer all they have to do is ban Raider fans.

39. faulkn22 says: Aug 28, 2012 5:16 AM

We don’t come 2 hours early in Detroit and we all get wanded. This has been made a much bigger deal than necessary, and anyone declining to be wanded needs to take their fat ass back home to the tv set.

40. rubicon202 says: Aug 28, 2012 6:11 AM

Man I love the response anytime you put the “Raiders” in any article! Yeah, yeah heard all B4 we’re this and that…our fans are so legendary we get there that earlier just to tailgate then go into the game! Legendary fans baby, you ppick the reason, “Just win baby”!

-Raider Nation

41. csdaddy7777 says: Aug 28, 2012 7:19 AM

________________________________

Like u said your a chargers fan of course it doesn’t take you any longer to get in to the stadium there’s only about a thousand of you weak a** fans goin to games

42. pskotte says: Aug 28, 2012 8:49 AM

When the Bengals announced the new wanding security procedure they claimed that it would speed up the process, not slow it down. Personally it doesn’t seem to do much at all. Having to submit to a security screening at all is what is causing delays.

43. 1historian says: Aug 28, 2012 10:30 AM

one thing you have to say for/about raiders fans – they are consistent

44. dasmol says: Aug 28, 2012 12:23 PM

“But there has to be a way that doesn’t require folks to show up two hours early — and that doesn’t result in fans who don’t show up two hours early standing in lines for too long and missing part of the game.”

Yeah, ban raider fans. Problem solved. Hey, maybe that way, stadiums can sell beer in the 3rd quarter like they used to, before raider fans ruined that too.

45. sullijo1 says: Aug 28, 2012 7:36 PM

I wish they would check IDs and arrest warrants at the entry gate. Then, cross check those people against the welfare rolls and cut them off the list…….

All while they flash gang signs at me and tell me how tough they are…..HOLMES….