PFT invades NBCSN, for one hour a day, starting next week

NBC-Sports-Network-1-e1312231418815-1

Next week, the 2012 NFL regular season launches.  As a very, very, very (did I say very?) small footnote to that, the PFT weed will be spreading into new territory.

We’re taking the website to NBC Sports Network, with a one-hour show every weekday, at 5:00 p.m. ET.

The show, curiously dubbed Pro Football Talk, debuts on Tuesday, September 4.  Hosted by the highly competent and funny and engaging Erik Kuselias and by an Internet hack who is the exact opposite of those three traits, the show will bring the PFT temperament and attitude to the small screen, with help from NBC talent like Rodney Harrison, Hines Ward, Doug Flutie, Ross Tucker, Amani Toomer, and Peter King.

The powers-that-be tell me they’re sending out an official press release soon.  They wanted me to say something for it.  Here’s the best I could muster:  “When we started the website, the goal was to create a place I’d want to visit as a football fan.  That same objective applies to Pro Football Talk.  We wanted to make a show that I would spend time watching if I wasn’t involved in it.  Of course, some may say they’d be more likely to watch this show if I actually wasn’t involved in it.”

The content here won’t suffer a bit.  We’ll be tweaking the format of PFT Live so that it will be a shorter show, with less prep time, which gives me more time at the keyboard.  And we’ve put together an excellent stable of writers, from MDS to Darin Gantt to Josh Alper to Evan Silva.

Like the website, Pro Football Talk will be a creature of the moment, with the latest news you need to know, outside-the-box analysis, genuine debate, and some humor.  Not forced or phony laughs, but genuinely funny moments (hopefully) that will make you feel like you’re hanging out with a group of friends.  (Or at a minimum casual acquaintances whom you don’t hate.)

The party starts next Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. ET.  On Wednesday, I’ll be at MetLife Stadium for the show, as we get ready for the regular-season opener between the Cowboys and the Giants.

We’ll be seeking your questions and your input and your feedback; this show is for you not for us and we want to be sure we cover the subjects that you want us to cover — and that we avoid low-hanging fruit and five-letter quarterback/punt protector/special-teams aces.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “PFT invades NBCSN, for one hour a day, starting next week”
  1. jmphinsfan says: Aug 29, 2012 3:31 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted.

2. larrybrown43 says: Aug 29, 2012 3:37 PM

Congratulations Mike! You deserve all the success that comes your way! Thanks for the great work!

3. jsto9 says: Aug 29, 2012 4:58 PM

Will it be available to view online? Still think there needs to be a PFT video podcast and not just audio.

4. mike83ri says: Aug 29, 2012 5:14 PM

This site was a lot better back when it used to break rumors. Now it just copy and pastes headlines. Then makes a snarky self-deprecating dry-humor one-liner. Like this.

It’s still worth visiting as a one-stop shop for news. but while rumors posted here 6 years ago didn’t often bare fruit, they never seemed to feel like a bunch of garbage being thrown against a wall to see what would stick… it always felt like Florio had inside sources that were more forthcoming with him than the mainstream reporters. What I would give to have that back…

5. 50milessouthofdetroit says: Aug 29, 2012 5:24 PM

as long as you don’t broadcast from jets camp also….

6. sameatsworms says: Aug 29, 2012 5:45 PM

Haha… Self deprecating humor. Classic Florio

7. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 29, 2012 6:01 PM

When you say “outside-the-box anlysis,” hopefully that means NOT shoving quarterbacks down our throats and telling us that quarterbacks win; teams lose. We have ESPN and NFL Network to insult our intelligence. Please be d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-t by talking real, not fantasy, football.

8. sportsinhd says: Aug 29, 2012 6:22 PM

I’m looking forward to listening to Rodney Harrison on a daily basis, just in case I forget that Tom Brady is the greatest qb ever, Bill Belichick is the greatest coach ever, and that the New England Patriots are the greatest franchise ever (in all sports).

He wasn’t bad at first, but his homerism has gotten predictable.

9. gregbeau says: Aug 29, 2012 7:50 PM

Congrats on the gig, but keep an eye on that scumbag you’ll be sitting next to. Kuselias hooked up with his last co-host at Golf Channel and was forced to leave as a result. Don’t let the stench rub off on you.

10. fringetastic says: Aug 29, 2012 8:24 PM

Congratulations. It seems like another one of your goals has been met. The PFT live segments have seemed like demo tapes and now they’ve paid off.

I can’t say I’m happy for the site, however. I also miss the attitude from the days (long) before NBC. Like when you didn’t worry about being a journalist and just wrote about whatever you were hearing about.

I hope the silver lining for _readers_ like me is there are fewer PFT videos to scroll past. I came here for, and still come here for, articles to read and links to click.