Russell Wilson isn’t surprised he’s the starter

Russell+Wilson+Seattle+Seahawks+v+Denver+Broncos+OxajuAhdvFol Getty Images

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson might be lacking ideal height for an NFL quarterback, but he’s not short on confidence.

Wilson was a guest on the Dan Patrick Show Wednesday and said that he wasn’t “surprised at all” that he wound up as the team’s starting quarterback. That wasn’t necessarily the opinion of the masses to the news that he won the nod over Matt Flynn, but Wilson said that he didn’t spend much time listening to those who thought he didn’t have a chance to start.

“No. I just had a confidence. I always have confidence in myself,” Wilson said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com “I wasn’t necessarily worried about it either way. I knew at some point I’d get the chance to play. I knew that I was ready to start; I knew that I was ready to help lead this football team. I have full confidence in myself.”

The Seahawks decision makers share that confidence. Just as Wilson ignored doubts about his height or draft status this summer, the team ignored any of the reasons not to make Wilson their starting quarterback. Confidence is a key component in both cases and it’s also a key component in being a successful quarterback.

It’s not the only one, but it’s pretty good as far as foundations go.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
29 Responses to “Russell Wilson isn’t surprised he’s the starter”
  1. osrude says: Aug 29, 2012 3:07 PM

I think Flynn would do fine. But I watched Wilson in WI last season, and I believed he would become a starter this year long before the draft. I just didn’t think it would be by week 1!

Raw deal for Flynn. He might be heading to another city by week 6.

2. cletusvandam says: Aug 29, 2012 3:08 PM

Now all he has to do is somehow keep playing against second and third string defenses like he did in the preseason to keep the job.

3. seahawks4alltime says: Aug 29, 2012 3:18 PM

As a major Seahawks fan, I was certainly surprised at what this kid has done over the preseason. I expected Flynn to be our guy, but after seeing them both in action on the practice field and in preseason I have much more confidence that Russell Wilson gives us our best shot at winning games.

Also, he is just more fun to watch. Wilson is confident in the pocket and cool under pressure. And he has the accuracy and arm to make big plays. God I love football! Go Seahawks! I’m in!

4. scoobaj says: Aug 29, 2012 3:18 PM

being a great QB in this league is 90% above the shoulders, and Russell is 100% in that area

5. thepvyharvin says: Aug 29, 2012 3:20 PM

Dad always said watch out for the quiet guys,,,,that’s Wilson big time,,,exudes nothing but poise,leadership and performance,,,watch out for this guy,is going to be good.

6. Nick says: Aug 29, 2012 3:23 PM

He should feel confident. He’s been a winner his whole college career and he soundly beat out Matt Flynn in pre-season.

7. bucrightoff says: Aug 29, 2012 3:24 PM

You think the Jets maybe wish they took a flier on this guy rather than wasting a 4th on Tebow?

8. 4evrnyt says: Aug 29, 2012 3:26 PM

9. voiceofreasonsays says: Aug 29, 2012 3:27 PM

I’m not either. If you can’t see this guy and RGIII are going to be the only clear successful QBs of the 2012 Class, then I don’t know what more I can tell ya.

10. bigguy54 says: Aug 29, 2012 3:40 PM

Mel Kiper said he is to short and will only be a back up, so he should never start. Mel Kiper is always right. OH and Aaron Curry was a can’t miss pick too. In Mel Kiper we always trust.

sarcasm off

11. AlanSaysYo says: Aug 29, 2012 3:44 PM

This guy is easy to root for. He seems to have that leadership attribute that you can’t teach, and his optimism seems to be working for him. By all accounts he’s one of the good guys. After seeing him on QB Camp, I wasn’t sold on him as a franchise player, but I told myself I wouldn’t bet against him. I still wouldn’t.

12. Nick says: Aug 29, 2012 3:50 PM

4evrnyt – You’ve obviously not watched one snap of Wilson’s as a Seahawk. Nearly every completion he has made has been from the pocket, some have come on designed roll-outs. Watch the highlights.

13. waxthat says: Aug 29, 2012 3:52 PM

Had him as my #2 qb in the draft behind Luck this year.

Seahawks got a good one. As a Niners fan, It kills me to say that.

14. gooboy6 says: Aug 29, 2012 3:52 PM

When he throw a couple of pics opening day , his confidence will be tested!

15. dbarnes79 says: Aug 29, 2012 4:11 PM

Hope be does well. Looks like a gamer.

16. gottaplan says: Aug 29, 2012 4:19 PM

10 Million to be the back up? That is awesome. I know the Dolphins have taken a lot of heat this off season, but you have to admit they got this one right in not giving up the big contract to what now is obviously a back up ( gets beat out by a 5’11′ rookie…soundly as some Seahawks on here have claimed). Good luck to the rook…he’s fun to watch.

17. woodsa22 says: Aug 29, 2012 4:20 PM

I’m starting to get tired of Russell Wilson’s “confidence”. It’s looking more like arrogance.

I hope he has a great career. Tough to deny the talent. But, i need him to put up numbers now. Enough talk.

18. slugbaitspace says: Aug 29, 2012 4:25 PM

“The rest of us wont be surprised when he’s benched . I know you all love his story but the bottom line is he’s a read one and run QB that will never develop into a pocket passer because he’s a nugget at all of 5’11″(IN CLEATS!..not joking) and will always need to roll out of the pocket to see his receivers.”

————–

Mel Kiper, please…you’ve been warned repeatedly about not using your real name in PFT comments already…

19. billh1947 says: Aug 29, 2012 4:27 PM

When the real defenses game plan for Wilson it wont be long before the much more experience Flynn gets the starting job in Seattle,dont expect much with the ROOKIE at the helm and he wont be the starter very long,take that to the bank.

20. bostonhasrealhockey says: Aug 29, 2012 4:27 PM

Exactly…when they are 0-3 and hes got more ints than TDs we will see…

21. LoCoSu@%s says: Aug 29, 2012 4:37 PM

Will be interesting to watch his play this year. Purely from a football standpoint, leaving out the fan-dom histrionics (I root for the niners, thank you very much), I’d like to see him perform well.

If his performance against the Chiefs was any indication, he’s going to be a good one.

22. toad8572 says: Aug 29, 2012 4:58 PM

“he’s a nugget at all of 5’11″(IN CLEATS!..not joking)”

Tell that to New Orleans; no possibility that he could be successful.

I’m always amazed that people think a 6′-4″ QB can see over 6′-4″ O/D linemen.

Any QB would have to be at least 7′-4″ to see over them. Until Yao Ming-type QB’s take over the NFL, every QB will be seeing through lanes regardless of their height.

23. trollhammer20 says: Aug 29, 2012 5:03 PM

The comment from him that I liked the most is that he ties his confidence to preparation. He says that feeling prepared makes him feel confident, so he’s the first guy in the building in the morning, the last guy out at night, and occasionally spends his off days in the film room.

Should Seattle be good enough to make the playoffs with a bye during his stay with the team, you get the feeling he won’t be going to Cancun with his girlfriend during the off week.

On the field, that comes across in the form of fast decision making. As far as making a choice, he is the anti-Tavaris. Go through the progressions, and if nothing is there, look to move and make something happen with the feet, either scrambling for more time or just taking off.

BTW, I saw Ryan Tannehill get more passes batted at the line in one quarter against the Falcons than Wilson has had the entire preseason.

24. jakeblues68 says: Aug 29, 2012 6:29 PM

I like this kid. I wish he didn’t play for Pete Carroll so I could root for him.

25. thelastpieceofcheese says: Aug 29, 2012 6:37 PM

It says a lot about Pete Carrol’s ability to judge talent when a midget quarterback beats out his free agency star!

26. spankygreen says: Aug 29, 2012 7:46 PM

bigguy54 says: Aug 29, 2012 3:40 PM

sarcasm off

Mel is stupid…..How can you be too short to start but not too short to be a backup……

the guy obviously can play and impressed the hell out of the coaches.

Flynn reminds me of that Kolb QB fellow in Az…..have a few games in a mop up role and everyone thinks you can play…..WRONG

If Flynn was any good AT ALL, this should have never been a QB Battle in training camp…..

STOP thinking these guys can play the position after a few TD’s thrown in mop up duty…..

27. rdixon50 says: Aug 29, 2012 10:38 PM

11 days until Wilson gets to meet Dockett – then here comes Flynn.

28. qdog112 says: Aug 30, 2012 7:50 AM

Look, the guy was a redshirt, who played 5 years and started all 4 he was eligible. He has way more QB and leadership experience than Flynn and half of the young QBs in the NFL.

He’s been a pro athlete, having been drafted to play baseball. He’s faced extreme adversity, losing his father to illness. He was literally cut from NCSU, after being the best QB in the school’s history. (yeah, including Rivers and Gabriel) He’s been through the “you’re too damned short” stuff all his life and each time he succeeded.

He had the best numbers of any QB in college last year, holding the all-time passer efficiency mark of 191.8 and the all-time consecutive passes without an int record(set as a fresh/soph) of 379. Did I mention he holds the all-time consecutive games with a TD pass record?

Bet against him at your own risk. I won’t. He is the total package. He has the arm that Luck envies and the command of the game that RG3 dreams of.

Russell Wilson is THE COMMANDER !!!

29. gmen1987 says: Aug 31, 2012 7:19 AM

Russell Wilson’s will go the way that the other Seattle midget QB Seneca Wallace’s career went.