Scott Fujita is right about playing next week, and here’s why

Jacksonville Jaguars v Cleveland Browns Getty Images

Browns linebacker Scott Fujita raised some eyebrows on Tuesday with a declaration of optimism about facing the Eagles in Week One, despite a three-game suspension for his role in the bounty scandal.

After further consideration, Fujita is right.

I explained during Wednesday’s PFT Live, the legal logistics and league-rule niceties that currently point to all suspended players (except defensive end Anthony Hargrove, who was cut by the Packers last week) playing their games for at least the first week of the 2012 season, and possibly beyond.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Videos
18 Responses to “Scott Fujita is right about playing next week, and here’s why”
  1. 808raiderinparadise says: Aug 29, 2012 2:31 PM

So your telling me theres a chance !!! ???

2. lks311 says: Aug 29, 2012 2:51 PM

I’m sure I’m not the first to say this, but, Dennis Quaid (albeit somewhat older) is certain to get the Scott Fujita role in the upcoming Saints scandal movie.

3. maryannwiththeshakyhands says: Aug 29, 2012 3:04 PM

And maybe a bit like Val Kilmer before Val morphed into John Candy-ish shape.

4. hopendawg20 says: Aug 29, 2012 3:15 PM

Scott Fujita shouldn’t play week 4 or any other following weeks the rest of his career, let alone week 1!

5. kattykathy says: Aug 29, 2012 3:25 PM

All Saints players should be playing week 1 AND for every other game this season.
    They did nothing wrong except play hard. If the Saints miss any games because there was some extra cash available to them for playing hard, then 25% of DIV-I football program players should be suspended too.

If the Saints are suspended for playing hard and hitting hard and received a small award(alledgedly) for it, then most D-I football programs should lose the players that are awarded helmet stickers.

6. andyb053 says: Aug 29, 2012 3:46 PM

So you mean the chances of my Skins winning against the Saints in Week 1 just went from 2% to 1%?

7. steeelfann says: Aug 29, 2012 4:47 PM

Doesn’t matter, they will still lose.

8. hialeahman1 says: Aug 29, 2012 4:59 PM

Fujita is on browns now

9. nygmenruleny says: Aug 29, 2012 5:19 PM

Yeah, that’s a good thing for all the players. Play in the beginning of the season, then, when your team is in the playoff hunt (or maybe the playoffs) out you go for your suspensions. Way to screw your teams for your own selfishness guys!!

BTW, if Vilma is ultimatley suspended for 16 games and plays/is on a roster, that suspension goes into next year right? And he misses all the camps next year right? So he comes back, with no minicamps, OTAs, or training camp after not playing or practicing for a year. Good luck with that

10. radrntn says: Aug 29, 2012 5:51 PM

Florio = Brilliant

11. tater2 says: Aug 29, 2012 5:53 PM

Mike, I hope you and Scott Fujita are right on the optimisum. Not just because I know for sure that Fujita, and likely the others, did NOTHING to warrant the suspensions but the total lack of fairness and the arrogance shown by the NFL is the main reason. Just because you have the ability to drop a bomb on someone because of the CBA does not mean it shoud be done in such an abusive manner…..The NFL deserves to have this be a thorn in their side!

12. ilovecameltoes says: Aug 29, 2012 5:54 PM

Scott Fugita??….LOL

13. gtodriver says: Aug 29, 2012 7:01 PM

I have about as good a chance scoring with (insert name of your favorite “hottie” here) as Fujita and the rest of the suspended bountygate players have of playing in the NFL next week.

I’m 58, average looks, 10 pound overweight and I’m not a millionaire.

But I do drive a 1964 GTO, so there is a chance…

14. mancave001 says: Aug 29, 2012 7:11 PM

Somehow I don’t think that Shady McCoy, DeSean Jackson, Trent Cole and Jason Babin are really going to care whether or not Fujita plays. It’s going to be ugly, Cleveland fans!

15. bleedgreen11 says: Aug 29, 2012 7:19 PM

Whatever scrub… Shady is gonna run all over you. Enjoy.

16. tater2 says: Aug 29, 2012 7:34 PM

If the Judge does step up and do the right thing and give these players the “due process” they DESERVE, it would be hard not to have the feeling that the bully just got confronted by someone with the power to fight back…..
    A bully really only wants to hit someone that he thinks is not strong enought to fight back.

17. purplegreenandgold says: Aug 29, 2012 8:29 PM

gtodriver says: Aug 29, 2012 7:01 PM

I’m 58, average looks, 10 pound overweight and I’m not a millionaire.

But I do drive a 1964 GTO, so there is a chance…
    ======================================
    sorry but “NO”

18. kingcarlbanks says: Aug 30, 2012 12:08 AM

When did Tommy Morrison start playing in the NFL?