Seahawks rookie Bruce Irvin eager to show he wasn’t a reach

bruceirvinsea Getty Images

One of the biggest surprises in the first round of this year’s NFL draft came with the 15th pick, when the Seahawks chose defensive end Bruce Irvin. Four months later, Irvin is still motivated to show that his selection in the first half of the first round shouldn’t have been a surprise.

I went in the first round, and some people thought I was a reach,” Irvin said, via the Tacoma News-Tribune. “So there’s going to be expectations. All I can do is bust my butt and work hard and I know success will come.”

Irvin hasn’t done a lot to prove the doubters wrong in his three preseason games, but he says he’s confident that he will prove the doubters wrong this season.

“People are talking about how I haven’t gotten a sack yet, but it’s the preseason; you’ll always face adversity, and the best way to deal with it is to just keep working hard,” Irvin said.

Irvin has been overshadowed this preseason by Seattle’s third-round pick, Russell Wilson. Wilson appears to be a steal, but Irvin has work to do to prove he wasn’t a reach.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
19 Responses to “Seahawks rookie Bruce Irvin eager to show he wasn’t a reach”
  1. deadontoilet says: Aug 29, 2012 10:02 AM

Three preseason games, sometimes against second and third string opposition, and he has yet to record a single statistic. That sounds like a bust in the making to me.

2. dennisatunity says: Aug 29, 2012 10:08 AM

I love the Seahawks and I have really wanted to give the Irvin selection the benefit of the doubt. However, it’s not just that he hasn’t made a sack. He hardly has any tackles. If you have anything, Irvin it’s about time to start showing something. We need an improved pass rush!!

3. areyoudue says: Aug 29, 2012 10:13 AM

Should’ve taken Coples.

4. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Aug 29, 2012 10:15 AM

Even though im a cards fan, i supported tis pick. manning didnt get a touchdown till his third game. Was he bust the first two games?

5. panthrobro says: Aug 29, 2012 10:15 AM

Not another Aaron Curry. Doh! Jury is still out on this guy. The Hawks wiffed when they picked up Carpenter last year. Now Irvin? Good thing pete and john draft well in the other rounds.

6. surferbum01 says: Aug 29, 2012 10:15 AM

Im very conflicted. I’m a die-hard 9ers fan so I’m opposed to ANY success by the Seachickens as a fan….buuuuut I took Seattle’s D to be a sleeper D this year in my fantasy league so I’m kinda rooting for the kid.

7. leamer says: Aug 29, 2012 10:20 AM

I’m a ‘hawk fan. This guy is a bust. He can’t get past or move an offensive lineman. The o-lineman flick him off like a fly.

8. dixon29 says: Aug 29, 2012 10:30 AM

Three exhibition games and people are calling him a bust already… you know, because three games is more than enough time to evaluate a player.

You picking up on the sarcasm here because I am laying it on pretty thick.

9. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 29, 2012 11:23 AM

Irvin was a reach and is the guy in a youtube video that’s not sure who drafted him. He says, “Redskins”.

10. pgh15212 says: Aug 29, 2012 11:23 AM

Polamalu looked like a bust his entire first year. How did that work out? Give the dude a chance.

11. norcalmafia says: Aug 29, 2012 11:30 AM

Seattle fans sure put alot of stock in pre season football….After three games their convinced there the most dominant team in the league,Wilson is the next Joe Montana and their first round pick is a bust.You guys are probably the most ignorant fan base in the NFL.

12. scoobaj says: Aug 29, 2012 12:45 PM

you have to understand that Irvin was a ‘system’ pick brought in for a specific scheme, he will make the D more effective, sacks are overrated, it’s about disruption and pressure

13. trollhammer20 says: Aug 29, 2012 1:28 PM

All I’ve really seen him do so far is bull rush. No spin, no speed move to the outside, no stunts.

I’ve seen people writing off the performance of entire teams based on “preseason vanilla scheming”, I’ll accept the same to be true of Irvin, for now anyway. He’s been close a few times. Let’s see what happens once it’s for real.

14. fumblenuts says: Aug 29, 2012 1:31 PM

Irvin’s elevator might make it to the top and this kid has ALOT to prove this season being the 1st pick in the draft.

He NEEDS to learn some new moves to get past the quicker O-Linemen that shut him down.

15. renhoekk2 says: Aug 29, 2012 1:37 PM

Good thing Seahawks got a first round QB in the third round, because they got a third round DE in the first round.

16. fanfromcan says: Aug 29, 2012 1:49 PM

I think Aldon was showing up big in practice this time last year, so some judgement can be passed by preseason/camp performance.

17. tsizzlehotpiss says: Aug 29, 2012 9:13 PM

He was a reach………..by three rounds.

18. tangysizzl says: Aug 29, 2012 9:14 PM

Stand the guy up and play him like a 3-4 OLB because hes not a DE by NFL standards.

19. fourthandafoot says: Aug 30, 2012 8:35 AM

Ya he’s a major reach and projects as a situational pass rusher and will probably remain a liability in the run game but as long as he gets a sack or a hurry here and there and stays out of prison no one will care when he was drafted.