Hakeem Nicks gets one catch, takes one hit, gets out

Hakeem+Nicks+New+England+Patriots+v+New+York+Dd6nVO4UYNYl Getty Images

Most veterans want to avoid the final preseason game, and especially contact if they can’t get out of suiting up.

Not Hakeem Nicks.

The Giants wide receiver said he pulled up a bit coming across the middle after his first catch, knowing the hit was coming.

I kind of wanted to absorb the hit a little bit and get my body back into it,” Nicks said after his preseason debut Wednesday, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. “That’s what I needed to get ready for next week.”

That single 6-yard catch and the hits that ensued convinced him he was ready to go, in his first action since breaking his foot this spring.

“It wasn’t a lot, but it was enough to give me an idea of where I was at,” Nicks said. “That was good enough. That’s why I didn’t go right down. I kind of just wanted to see where I was at with everything.
“It was all good.”

Nicks has been practicing a few weeks, but said it was important to get into a game, if only for a short time. The fact he took a hit convinced the Giants to get him out of there, even as starting quarterback Eli Manning stayed in the game.

“We got him on the field,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said of Nicks. “That was the objective. Hopefully he got a chance to get knocked around. He did on the one catch. He got knocked around pretty good.”

Good enough that they didn’t need to see their No. 1 receiver take any more hits.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Hakeem Nicks gets one catch, takes one hit, gets out”
  1. voiceofreasonsays says: Aug 30, 2012 6:48 AM

What a soft football player. He’s going to shatter into a million blue pieces when he meets Tenard Jackson across the middle.

2. justinsgiants says: Aug 30, 2012 7:22 AM

Not that I didn’t expect it, but I’m glad he’s ready to rock and roll. Him and Cruz complement each other extremely well. Both guys will continue to execute greatly with the benefit of each other.

3. lionsdraftguy says: Aug 30, 2012 7:32 AM

@voiceofreasonsays

Im not a huge Giants fan, but your bashing Hakeem Nicks about being soft and broken while using a guy who just got off the PUP as an example. What a clown.

Id pick Nicks over that guy ANY DAY as far as who would win a battle on the field.

4. chalkruz1989 says: Aug 30, 2012 8:07 AM

Who’s Tenard Jackson? I am just wondering because when I hear the name Hakeem Nicks I think of a super bowl winning receiver and one of the brightest in the game. Is Tenard a former member of the Jackson 5?

5. kingcarlbanks says: Aug 30, 2012 8:24 AM

Glad to see Hakeem back healthy and ready for week 1. Now the best WR duo in the division is intact. Btw, who is Tenard Jackson? Another great Redskins FA pickup? Hahahahaha!

6. tsizzlehotpiss says: Aug 30, 2012 8:37 AM

And in other news, Hakeem Nicks is still one of the softest receivers in the league……….

7. Getoffmylawn! says: Aug 30, 2012 10:22 AM

I wish I was as soft as Hakeem Nicks. Didn’t he play well in the playoffs and Superbowl or was that Tenard Jackson?

8. jpptuckosikiwinascar says: Aug 30, 2012 10:29 AM

Who the f is Tenard Jackson ?? Must be the water boy 4 the deadskins! Ur
    team is soft and suck ass!