Adrian Peterson likely a game-time decision for Week One

San Diego Chargers v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has passed every test the team has put in front of him, including a return to contact, but coach Leslie Frazier isn’t ready to say that Peterson will be on the field for Week One against the Jaguars just yet.

After the Vikings wrapped up the preseason against the Texans on Thursday night, Frazier was asked about Peterson’s status for the season opener. Frazier indicated that the decision wouldn’t be made until just before the start of the contest.

“We’ve got a lot of things we want to get done with him this week, and I doubt that we would know without getting him through an entire week, if we thought he was ready to play a game,” Frazier said, via ESPN.com.

Peterson’s recovery from the torn ACL and MCL he suffered on Christmas Eve has been very fast, although not fast enough for the Vikes to feel comfortable about playing him in any of the team’s preseason games. He’s gotten hit in practice, though, and the lack of preseason playing time isn’t likely to be the determining factor in his status for the start of the season.

Peterson has maintained a goal of playing in Week One since he got injured. We’re getting close to finding out if he’ll reach it.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Adrian Peterson likely a game-time decision for Week One”
  1. reppster says: Aug 31, 2012 11:18 AM

I really hope he’s ready and the team isn’t rushing him back to action.

2. manwhorzzz says: Aug 31, 2012 11:20 AM

running backs are a tough position now in the NFL. AP is hurt, so you gotta draft toby gehardt. I read jamaal charles is doing a 50/50 time share now with Peyton Hillis, and who knows who shanahan will start in Washington. Its hard to throw a top 25pick at any running back position. Just ask my buddy who drafted MJD with the 6th pick in our draft… LOL. i got calvin johnson at #10.

3. jarowens says: Aug 31, 2012 11:25 AM

More importantly…can we please figure this out soon so I know if I should start Toby??

4. Canned Heat says: Aug 31, 2012 11:27 AM

If he’s back before week 4 and for some reason blows it out again and is gone for the year or worse…then you have all sorts of people to point fingers at, including AP for not using his head.

Vikings will truly be lucky to win more than 3 games this year. Risking maybe the best player in the team’s history to rush him back to push for a meaningless 1,000 yard season is foolish.

To me as a Pack fan…he’s literally the modern day Walter Payton. Why on earth you would even consider the risk is beyond me.

5. jimmysee says: Aug 31, 2012 11:27 AM

With no strong passing attack, AP is very vulnerable in the Vike’s offense — teams can gang up and wait for him.

That knee is pretty open to further injury.

6. schubie95 says: Aug 31, 2012 11:34 AM

come on damn its been ten months now he is jumping on 3 ft blocks running a damn hill Frazier; Peterson is your only chance of winning. ad28 Is a beast

7. Canned Heat says: Aug 31, 2012 11:44 AM

manwhorzzz says:
    Aug 31, 2012 11:20 AM
    ___________________________________

You should mop up then….you’ve gotta be playing school kids and housewives if MJD went prior to Tron…and Tron was still there at the 10 spot.

8. ajschn06 says: Aug 31, 2012 11:50 AM

Canned Heat says:
    Aug 31, 2012 11:27 AM

————————————————–

Ridiculous comment from another homer pack fan. Vikes may not be a playoff team, but 6-8 wins is not only possible, but very likely…

9. gimletontherocks says: Aug 31, 2012 12:10 PM

The Vikings o-line is emerging, Harvin and Simpson are emerging weapons in the passing attack, Ponder is on the upswing, and AP is coming back. I think it would be a major disappointment if the Vikings only won 3 games.

10. scoregasmic says: Aug 31, 2012 12:20 PM

I like how the jaguar Vikings game is going from a matchup of arguably the two best running backs in the league to pretty much the most unappealing game this year

11. dkphilly1122 says: Aug 31, 2012 12:22 PM

Start Gerhart……I would ‘t rush AP back. I’m a diehard Vikes fan too and would love to see AP back, but why rush him back against Jax of all teams?? Atleast bring him back for a big game and let him heal in the meantime. For the Packers fan, only an idiot would grab MJD in the top 2-3 rounds. I think he was a 4th rounder in my draft. I’d take Gerhart over him this year. Toby’s gonna get his for sure. He’s a beast on 3rd downs and on the goal lines.

12. gberg09 says: Aug 31, 2012 12:36 PM

I think they already know if he’s playing but are just withholding to throw a wrench in Jacksonvilles game plan.

13. brewdogg says: Aug 31, 2012 3:35 PM

Canned Heat says: Aug 31, 2012 11:27 AM

————————————

Do us all a favor. Go take a look at the Vikings schedule and tell us which 13 games will be sure losses. Go ahead, man up. Put something on here other than mindless, baseless predictions and explain your reasoning.

14. 7to10for6allday says: Aug 31, 2012 5:57 PM

I do think they’ll win more than 3, maybe 6. But more importantly I got Toby to cuff AP. I also have McCoy so I can be patient the first few weeks if the want to take it easy on him. He will be a beast in the second half. You heard?