Browns trade safety David Sims to Eagles

David Sims Pic Getty Images

Adam Caplan reports that the Cleveland Browns have traded safety David Sims to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a conditional draft pick in 2013.

It’s likely a seventh-rounder.

In order to clear room on their 53-man roster, the Eagles waived guard Julian Vandervelde.

The Eagles got an up-close look at Sims in their third preseason game, when he racked up five tackles. Sims had an interception in each of the two exhibition contests before that.

In Philadelphia, Sims will compete for the third safety job behind Kurt Coleman and Nate Allen while contributing on special teams.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Browns trade safety David Sims to Eagles”
  1. eaglessuperfan says: Aug 31, 2012 10:02 PM

Go Go Guys who better never play!!

2. chaser44 says: Aug 31, 2012 10:03 PM

never heard of him, anyone know anything about him besides what the article says? We all know the birds need safety depth, especially after waiving OJ

3. chaser44 says: Aug 31, 2012 10:03 PM

Could he be better than what they had in Phillip Thomas as a developmental player?

4. birdsfan17 says: Aug 31, 2012 10:13 PM

Don Johnson in Tin Cup

5. birdsfan17 says: Aug 31, 2012 10:14 PM

Atogwe didn’t work out so they needed to do something at safety. Hopefully he works out or at least pushes Coleman and Allen.

6. dolphins4 says: Aug 31, 2012 10:18 PM

I hope he’s alot better than J.Jarrett he sucks.

7. timezyourz says: Aug 31, 2012 10:19 PM

Oh nice what a HUGE move…. :Sarcasm Off:

8. phillyphann83 says: Aug 31, 2012 10:25 PM

Nice move, it was much needed, our safeties are garbage. I’ll never accept the drafting of Nate Allen, who was ridiculously overrated as a member of an exceptional USF defense that was NOT exceptional because of Nate, instead of going after Eric Berry or Earl Thomas. We had the most picks in that draft(13), could a moved up for Berry and Thomas was taken one pick after ours and subsequently made the pro bowl.

9. timb289 says: Aug 31, 2012 10:44 PM

This is the most retarded move Ive ever seen, this guy was super good in the preseason and in my book showed more promise than Usama Young ever did and they trade him to a team they play week one of the damn season. Come on Browns get your heads out of your ass. Im telling you its moves like this that kill this team. This is right up the alley of giving up a third round pick for a not even ranked DL, when you clearly need a playmaker WR. Only to scramble to make a pick into the supplemental draft for a WR after you state you are 100% happy with WR core. Oh I forgot that was the Browns wasnt it. Please Jimmy Haslam fire these turds and get us some people with alittle football comon sense!

10. jaredo10 says: Aug 31, 2012 10:46 PM

who ? should of gambled with atogwe.

11. cyraider says: Aug 31, 2012 11:00 PM

The dude went to Iowa state and was a badass. Look up chuck Norris’s weakness on Wikipedia and it’ll give u a picture of David Sims.

12. tednancy says: Aug 31, 2012 11:06 PM

What??! The Browns are the dumbest team in the league. Sims was one of the few bright spots for the Browns this summer and would have provided key depth for the Browns – especially since Usama Young can’t stay on the field and Joe Haden can’t stay away from adderall.

The Browns make me sick. That conditional 7th round pick will really help them I’m sure.

13. joemammy says: Aug 31, 2012 11:29 PM

I’m glad he found a gig…even if it’s not in Cleveland. Sims is for real, and just flys around making plays. Iggles fans are going to love his game! The Browns will regret this trade…

14. dgreenfi says: Aug 31, 2012 11:33 PM

Roster Moves! Giggity giggity.

15. nerdyturdy says: Aug 31, 2012 11:36 PM

Good pickup!

16. respectgsh says: Sep 1, 2012 12:22 AM

Hmmm… so they aren’t trading Daryl Tap for a safety?

17. iknoweverythingdk says: Sep 1, 2012 1:30 AM

Where can I apply for the Browns and Cards GM position? Give me two years and I (the avg fan) could make any team a contender!!

18. brownsapologist says: Sep 1, 2012 4:54 AM

Yeah, he was about the only one that I didn’t want to see cut and at first I was excited to see he made the team. Then I found out he was actually traded and then it all made sense. He was doing things on the field that the Browns discourage typically. Including: making plays, trying hard, and improving the overall product. There is clearly no room on the team for someone like this and that seventh round pick will be better spent on a backup long snapper next year.

19. bobbyhoying says: Sep 1, 2012 7:09 AM

I’m very happy to hear Cleveland fans are upset with the trade.

20. audient says: Sep 1, 2012 8:56 AM

Cleveland fan here. I don’t like that we got rid of him. But rumor around town yesterday afternoon was that he was simply cut, so I’m glad we got something for him. Would have preferred to have kept him.

I don’t know if I could do a better job that the guys in our front office, but pay me what they’re paid and I’d be happy to give it the old college try.

21. mancave001 says: Sep 1, 2012 9:03 AM

timb29, don’t be so hard on them. As my neighbor (a lifelong browns fan) will tell you, “this is what they do.”

22. kingkornkahn says: Sep 1, 2012 9:17 AM

Who needs a safety who flies around making play after play? I guess not the Browns, who prefer Usama Young’s quiet confidence.

23. bingocostello says: Sep 1, 2012 10:07 AM

Heckert is making nice with the eagles so he can get a job when he is fired by Haslam in October!

24. andyreidsbossoms says: Sep 1, 2012 10:11 AM

Relax guys, u still have your 28 year old rookie qb

25. vegasdogg says: Sep 1, 2012 10:18 AM

David Sims did not fly around making play after play, so don’t kid yourselves Eagles fans. You have to take what my fellow Browns fans say with a huge grain of salt. All of the losing we’ve experienced has caused some among us to lost their freaking minds. Sims had 3 INT’s this preseason (2 actually b/c 1 was taken away by penalty) and he also was one of the first down there on coverage teams.

Our Safeties are Ward, Hagg, Young, Ventrone and Tashaun Gipson. Between Sims and Gipson, you have to keep Gipson 10 x’s out of 10. Because Sims is a media darling and Gipson requires more objective analysis, the fans go with the media darling and don’t do their homework.

The Eagles got an undersized and not very fast S in Sims with great upside on special teams who should battle for the 3rd string S position.

Please understand Cleveland fans are rabid and passionate, but they don’t do their homework. Especially now that we are putting together a roster where good guys get cut.

Tashaun Gipson > David Sims. Nothing more to it than that folks.

26. oldbyrd says: Sep 2, 2012 1:01 AM

Eagles love those 7th rounders. But, remember King Dunlap is a 7th rounder and plays a lot better than that. Hoe about the 2 running backs they kept? I hope it works but….? 5′ 9″ ?

27. bobonmycob says: Sep 2, 2012 12:38 PM

Great move. Kid has a motor and is young yet. Def. a player you can mold and for a lame draft pick what a steal!