Lions release Alphonso Smith

Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Rumored to be on the trade market, the news for cornerback Alphonso Smith ultimately was worse.

The Lions have released the former second-round pick of the Broncos, per a league source.

Smith, drafted by Denver in 2009 and traded to Detroit in 2010, shrugged off the trade talk earlier this year.

“Please forgive my frankness,” Smith said in June.  “To be blunt with you, I really didn’t care.  It didn’t happen.  It still may happen.  You never know.

“I don’t care about reports or rumors.  Only thing I can focus on is I’m a Detroit Lion and I’m a Detroit Lion until I’m not.”

Now?  Not.

He has yet to compile four years of service, so Smith must pass through waivers.

In other words, he’ll be a Colt soon.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Lions release Alphonso Smith”
  1. daysend564 says: Aug 31, 2012 3:46 PM

If he can’t play in Detroit, he can’t play anywhere.

2. johnnycash19 says: Aug 31, 2012 3:53 PM

Loved him coming out of college, but when you give up 8 catches for over 100 yards and 2 TD’s in less than a half vs Matt Flynn, maybe your not cut out to play in the NFL.

3. thekiy says: Aug 31, 2012 3:55 PM

Signed his pink slip when he showboated in front of the coaches during the play last week.

Dude could not stay disciplined in the system, and got burned far too often.

4. Stupid Lions Fan says: Aug 31, 2012 3:56 PM

Our secondary is awful. If you were cut from the Lions then it’s time to start looking for a 9-5.

5. ern215 says: Aug 31, 2012 3:56 PM

come to oakland

6. lionsgofrompitytofearin3years says: Aug 31, 2012 3:57 PM

There is going to be a lot of 45-42 games for the Lions this year. For as much as Martin Mayhew has turned this roster around in the last three years, the secondary has been completely neglected. While I like Chris Houston and Louis Delmas, that is it. We are another safety, corner, and outside linebacker away from being a powerhouse.

7. redruckus81 says: Aug 31, 2012 3:58 PM

Guy blew the opportunity of a lifetime this offseason with the openings we had at CB. No surprise though… he always had 5 bad plays for every good one he made.

8. suhdidntstompanyone says: Aug 31, 2012 3:59 PM

Unlike most of the geniuses who have been posting so much negativity about the Lions secondary I’m actually going to wait and see how they play for the first couple games before I pass judgement.

9. ramsfan111 says: Aug 31, 2012 4:01 PM

________________________________

OLB’s don’t play in the secondary silly Lions fan.

10. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 31, 2012 4:04 PM

Alphonso has a lot more picks over the last 2 seasons than I believe any other player I have seen released or that probably will get released during these cuts today.

Everybody gets burned and gives up a certain amount of plays, but the turnovers are worth gold and they make up for it. He also has a lot of chance to improve his coverage and protection and looked like he was making progress here and there. They needed to invest MORE time and effort into him, not less, this was a mistake.

He will give good value to the team that values him and shows him that and works hard to help him get better. The guy that gets into his head the right way is going to be a very satisfied coach.

11. spartyfi says: Aug 31, 2012 4:05 PM

@ramsfan, they do drop back in coverage a lot though but I can see how a Rams fan wouldn’t know that.

12. rexryanschoolofpodiatry says: Aug 31, 2012 4:09 PM

I’m kinda disappointed Smith was cut. He is not starting material but he has a lot of value as a dime back sitting in zone coverage. He reads the QB well when he can sit in zone and he has excellent ball skills. His man to man coverage skills are what is lacking. But the Lions don’t run a lot of man to man coverage so I’m a bit perplexed.

13. lks311 says: Aug 31, 2012 4:10 PM

His name should be “Big Play” Al, because he makes ‘em and he gives ‘em.

Ultimately there were too many “Gives ‘em”.

14. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 31, 2012 4:24 PM

No way the colts pick him up!!!

15. scottplayersfacemask says: Aug 31, 2012 4:33 PM

At least he seems to have a positive and professional attitude.

16. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 31, 2012 5:15 PM

well i guess he wouldnt be a bad nickle or dime corner tho……………….

17. gojags says: Aug 31, 2012 5:17 PM

I hate the draft. Teams like colts tank at the right time either deliberately or not to get the player they want. They tanked 13 years back to get Manning and then they were perenial playoff contenders even superbowl and they decided to tank to get Luck after Peyton got the problem in his neck. The NFL should atleast use the last three years combined win/losses to determine the draft ranking. Not just one year and this only encourages team like the colts to tank when they covet a player.

As a Jags fan, I only hope, Colts will not win much with Luck and that marriage fails.

18. mjkelly77 says: Aug 31, 2012 5:40 PM

Fonz actually signed his termination papers last year when he showed up Coach Schwartz. He’s a risk taker and has been criticized for it. When he made an interception, he stuck the ball in Schwartz’s chest as if to say see what I did. Schwartz made a “so what” face and pushed the ball away. I knew then once he could be replaced by someone servicable, he was gone.

19. mjkelly77 says: Aug 31, 2012 5:41 PM

20. deepfreezerob says: Aug 31, 2012 8:53 PM

I will say this: there will be ex Lions picked up off of waivers. That shows the improvement of the talent on the team

21. staffordsyear says: Sep 1, 2012 6:26 AM

A little dissapointed i guess..the guys got talent but yea takes way to many chances.