Quinton Coples wants to get in better condition now

New York Jets v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

It’s only been a few days since Jets first-round pick Quinton Coples raised eyebrows by complaining about having to play with reserves in the third preseason game.

So after playing late into the fourth quarter last night, he could laugh about the comments coach Rex Ryan made after that one.

Nah, I was prepared. I was prepared to play all four quarters,” Coples said, via Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I’m always prepared, regardless if I wasn’t supposed to play or people thought I wasn’t supposed to play. I was prepared to play four quarters and I let that be the coach’s decision as far as how much I play.

“He never gave me a time, if he was going to pull me he was going to pull me.”

Coples had another solid game last night, with a sack and a half and a tackle for loss, but the questions about his motor that dogged him in the pre-draft process aren’t going away.

He said he feels better about his conditioning, but wants to do more to get ready for next week against the Bills.

“I’ve been definitely conditioning better, but coming into the season opener I’m definitely going to train a lot harder,” Coples said. “Make sure I’m in better shape than I am now.”

Hey, he’s got a week. Shouldn’t be that hard to make great strides in the meantime, should it? Maybe if this had occurred to him a few months ago, Ryan wouldn’t be riding him so hard. Then again, if it wasn’t an issue before, he might not have been available when the Jets picked him.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Quinton Coples wants to get in better condition now”
  1. cwhat32 says: Aug 31, 2012 12:04 PM

He should fit right in with the Jets.

2. catquick says: Aug 31, 2012 12:21 PM

Well, we know he’s no genius now

3. blackfootkiller says: Aug 31, 2012 12:34 PM

And in contrast, Bruce Irvin said he’s glad coach let him play full games in the pre-season to help his game…And he has actually gotten bigger and stronger in the last few months.
    Sometimes it isn’t your fantasy stats that make you a good football player, sometimes it’s appreciating your opportunity, going hard on every play, and getting better every week.
    And oh yea…Bruce had 4 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble last night.

4. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 31, 2012 12:37 PM

So he wants to get in better shape AFTER camp?
    How can an athlete not get the whole top condition thing? It’s what you do for a living, dummy!!

5. niko0063 says: Aug 31, 2012 12:50 PM

Im running in a marathon next week, figure ill start training hard today and i should be fine…thx for the advice Coples

6. clubergo says: Aug 31, 2012 12:51 PM

Well Rexy is a bigger name than all his Stars..just what he wanted

7. jcjets says: Aug 31, 2012 12:53 PM

It is an odd comment, but let’s not forget he lead the jets in sacks this preseason.

And I don’t know if its fair to say he complained about playing the entire game..apparently he made a face when told.he was staying in. And while thats not ideal, analyzing facial expressions is rather subjective.

8. 13fitzj says: Aug 31, 2012 12:57 PM

@blackfootkiller Coples had 4.5 sacks and 2 FF this preseason. You forgot to mention that that statline you gave for Bruce Irvin is not only his statline for week 4 of the preseason, but it’s his statline for the whole preseason since he had no tackles and no sacks in the first 3 games.

If Q can get in better shape and get motivated to play with a better motor, he’ll be scary good. I think he’s the real deal anyway, but he could be special if he steps it up a little.

9. whitechocolate2 says: Aug 31, 2012 6:33 PM

Bunch of fools on here. Coples has been an animal this preseason and we’re talking about the fact that he may or may not have made a face when rex kept him in the game 3 weeks ago.

And if Q had said, I’m in great shape, I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing….you fools would have made ridiculous claims that he’s lazy.

Some people/teams just can’t win.