Alex Smith becomes a team captain in San Fran again

San Francisco 49ers v Denver Broncos Getty Images

For the second time in his eight-year career, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith will serve as a team captain.  For the first time, the honor comes via a vote of his teammates.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com reports that Smith and defensive end Justin Smith are this year’s new captains.  They join 2011 holdovers Frank Gore and Patrick Willis under coach Jim Harbaugh’s unique two-year term approach.

“There’s no greater honor than being elected captain by your teammates,” Harbaugh said.

“He deserves it,” Gore said of Smith.  “He had a great year last year.  He had a great camp.  He’s a hard-worker, great teammate, and everybody respects him in the locker room.  He deserves to be the captain.”

In 2010, former coach Mike Singletary made Smith a captain.  That year, he eventually was benched for Troy Smith.  So maybe the guy most excited about this development should be Colin Kaepernick.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
34 Responses to “Alex Smith becomes a team captain in San Fran again”
  1. vincentbojackson says: Sep 1, 2012 9:16 PM

Guy had a decent year last season. Now I want to see him follow that up and show us it wasn’t a fluke.

I have a feeling it was all smoke and mirrors.

2. steelersownyou says: Sep 1, 2012 9:34 PM

Haha he’s terrible. Harbaugh trying to build this guy up after courting manning! This team has a good defense but will never win anything with him. Kind of reminds me of the steelers in the 90′s!

3. gaykegayden says: Sep 1, 2012 9:49 PM

Cue the “Niners made an offer to Smith before they talked to Peyton, so Harbaugh is telling the truth comments”. Seahawks are winning the division, look at the schedule. Thumbs down me all you want, I post exclusively to my iPhone and cannot see your feedback anyways. By the way, Texans fan here.

GG (Gayke Gayden)

4. 49erstim says: Sep 1, 2012 10:16 PM

@gaykegayden……. what does the Manning thing have to do with this? His TEAMMATES VOTED him in! I’m not gonna bag on Seahawks even though i EASILY could. I do think their team will be improved, but no way they win division.

5. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 1, 2012 10:19 PM

It’s like being hired as captain of the Titanic.

6. southpaw79 says: Sep 1, 2012 10:25 PM

**Seahawks are winning the division, look at the schedule. Thumbs down me all you want, I post exclusively to my iPhone and cannot see your feedback anyways. **
    _________________________________

7. nomoreseasontix says: Sep 1, 2012 10:42 PM

Not a fan of Smith as a QB but good for him. He’s had a rough career and he’s still kicking.

8. stampede101 says: Sep 1, 2012 10:53 PM

@ everyone making hilarious anti-Niner comments grounded in no reason or fact…

Stop being jealous little girls b/c my favorite team is better than yours.

9. brenenostler says: Sep 1, 2012 11:02 PM

I hope he has another good year. He deserves it.

10. raiderapologist says: Sep 1, 2012 11:02 PM

Captain Crunch is a captain. Captain Kangaroo was a captain. Santonio Holmes was a captain. The title can be abused.

11. zillabeast says: Sep 1, 2012 11:08 PM

So glad we don’t wear that stupid captains patch on our jerseys

12. mjkelly77 says: Sep 1, 2012 11:10 PM

Hairbough throws Smith under the bus by chasing manning all over the country and now Smith is a team captain. I bet Smth will be secretly happy when Hairbough is fired. And judging by this vote, maybe a lot of his teammates will be as well.

13. eventhorizon04 says: Sep 1, 2012 11:11 PM

“Just because you can not see the people laughing at you behind your back, does not mean they are not there.”

To post the idiocy he posts requires a special level of delusion.

Our only hope for him to disappear is for the Seahawks to stumble.

14. aces79 says: Sep 1, 2012 11:15 PM

Alex Smith sucks Colin Kapernick should be the starter

15. bosspower says: Sep 1, 2012 11:16 PM

I think the 49ers are the real deal. They got a taste of the Playoff atmosphere and I think those guys are addicted. All their off season signings made sense and it is clear they are thinking Superbowl. This is the team I think Peyton Manning should have signed with as he would have brought them 2-3 Rings. This team can win now unless Alex Smith rewinds the clock to 2010.

16. goldrush36 says: Sep 1, 2012 11:27 PM

Troy Smith played because Alex was hurt and Singletary got excited by a flash in the pan. He lasted 1 game with Alex healthy and got benched the next. Way to stick to facts

17. goldrush36 says: Sep 1, 2012 11:31 PM

And NONE of the captains were voted on by players with Singletary. He was that much of a control freak.

18. superseahawk says: Sep 1, 2012 11:58 PM

Smith was great last year, he should no longer be the butt of jokes. He won that playoff game against a good Saints team last year. He makes good decisions and doesn’t turn the ball over.

19. bobhk says: Sep 2, 2012 12:01 AM

steelersownyou says:
    Sep 1, 2012 9:34 PM
    ———
    This loser is here all the time.
    Nothing happening in squealer land @steelersownyou ?

You do have r@pist on your team. Should be very proud!

20. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Sep 2, 2012 12:14 AM

the 49ers have a good team, but to laugh off the seahawks is just a joke.

your team just voted alex smith to be a captain. he would be 2nd or 3rd string on 20 teams in the nfl.

21. binkystevens says: Sep 2, 2012 12:36 AM

Doesn’t really matter who wears the “C”. 9ers are still going to be destroyed in week 1 by a real football team. You know, one that’s been relevant in the last 20 years.

22. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 2, 2012 12:57 AM

steelersownyou:
    The Steelers of ’95 lost to the dynastic Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl 30. I realize those Cowboys of the ’90s weren’t anywhere near the talent level of the dreaded 2005 Seahawks or the feared 2008 Cardinals…
    Take off your black & gold blinders and start watching football like a man, instead of like the giddy, quarterback-obsessed schoolgirl that you are…

23. bobhk says: Sep 2, 2012 12:58 AM

someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says:
    Sep 2, 2012 12:14 AM
    the 49ers have a good team, but to laugh off the seahawks is just a joke.

——
    As a niner fan I would certainly not laugh off the Seahawks.
    But you certainly showed you extreme bias against smith.
    Most of us are not delusional about smith being a world beater.
    However I would challenge you to list 20 backup
    QBs better than Smith and back it up with some facts not jus opinion.

I don’t think you can do it.

24. simpleghost says: Sep 2, 2012 2:15 AM

Alex Smith would have guided his team to a superbowl if kyle williams wasnt such a choke artist. Such unfounded hate. He’s no Tom Brady, but he is better than Trent Dilfer ever was.

25. chetbrooks31 says: Sep 2, 2012 2:40 AM

…But the seahawks are not one of those teams. Good chance Alex could start in Seattle too!

26. tiggerblood says: Sep 2, 2012 2:43 AM

First of all the vote could have been a sham…. I don’t really think it was because of the way smith played last year he earned the respect of his teammates last season by being a leader and playing with grit 49ers style, that being said he got my respect in the playoff game against the Saints best game I’ve seen in a while that QB crack play was just amazing it showed his grit and leadership to put everything on the line and when someone does that a team will follow you anywhere. Also that division is still up for grabs and the Rams will finish better than the Seahawks. Go 49ers I enjoyed watching them play last year.

A Bengals fan.

27. dmackdaddy says: Sep 2, 2012 2:46 AM

I like how this is news here. You guys cant stop talking about the 49ers and Alex Smith! I think you guys know they are the team to fear in 2012. I don’t see anyone else talking about any other teams and their captains lol. GO NINERS!!!

28. gaykegayden says: Sep 2, 2012 3:30 AM

There’s this crazy concept known as logic and reason. As stated previously, I am a Texans fan. Go ahead and think you’re cute and clever. But everyone of you who mock me today, take an oath and apologize in January. The Seahawks are winning the NFC West. Look at the schedule.

29. bamboozle99 says: Sep 2, 2012 4:12 AM

Why not? Smith is a great game manager.

30. sixjak says: Sep 2, 2012 4:48 AM

O’RLY? Most of his stats are top 10 and top 5 so what idiot coach would bury him behind anybody not named Manning, Breeze, Brady or Rogers? Oh yeah Neo China Doll Stafford. How could I forget him? You ppl show everyday on here just how unqualified you are to have an opinion.

31. discosucs2005 says: Sep 2, 2012 5:37 AM

gaykegayden says:
    Sep 1, 2012 9:49 PM

GG (Gayke Gayden)

__________________________________________

I already don’t like you because you sign your name to a post in which we can all already see your name, but lets go over the reasons why you’re being ridiculous.

“Cue the “Niners made an offer to Smith before they talked to Peyton, so Harbaugh is telling the truth comments””

I notice how you don’t actually refute that, you just bring it up. That’s like talking about WW2 and saying “cue all the people who are going to say Hitler had a mustache.” well yeah…that’s what happened. Bringing it up in a weird tone doesn’t add to your point.

“Seahawks are winning the division, look at the schedule.”

You wont find many 49ers fans who will say that the Seahawks are a bad team. But keep in mind they do have a rookie QB and not a lot of depth. They are more than capable, with a solid ground game, and defense, to stay competitive and maybe make a run at the division, but the 49ers should be the favorite.

Also they have a tough schedule as well, not to mention the 49ers had a tough schedule last year.

“Thumbs down me all you want, I post exclusively to my iPhone and cannot see your feedback anyways.”

Yeah, this is just a lie. I almost exclusively check on my Iphone and I can see thumbs up/down just fine. So either you’re some how doing it wrong, or you’re lying for some weird reason.

“By the way, Texans fan here.”

No one cares.

32. joetoronto says: Sep 2, 2012 7:15 AM

The sooner the Niners realize Alex Smith isn’t good enough to take them where they want to go, the better.

The window only stays open for so long.

33. briank1ne says: Sep 2, 2012 9:50 AM

Anyone that says Kaepernick should start over smith because of how they performed in the preseason is about as idiotic as saying Dixon should start over gore because of their preseason stats. Alex is boss. Haters hate on.

34. bh49ers says: Sep 2, 2012 11:52 AM

You all need to stop hating on alex smith, he will be a top tier qb this year, he has the weapons and coaching to do that now. look at brady, brees, rodgers…..all those qbs have great coaches who have been in place with them since the begining…bellick, payton, mcarthy….those are respected coaches….try and tell me aaron rodgers would be better with f’n mike singletary as his head coach. 49ers :12-4 Alex smith 3,894 yrds 28tds 9int book it