Daniel Thomas was embarrassed by his portrayal on Hard Knocks

Daniel Thomas Pic Getty Images

This week’s episode of Hard Knocks portrayed Dolphins running back Daniel Thomas as something of a slacker, getting called into the office of head coach Joe Philbin for a lecture about being late twice, once for a team flight and once for a workout. But Thomas says that’s not who he is.

Thomas told the Miami Herald that his portrayal on Hard Knockswas embarrassing because I never got in trouble before.”

After getting chewed out by Philbin in front of the NFL Films cameras, Thomas was left hoping that his friends and family members didn’t have HBO.

“Everybody saw it. People started texting me. I told my mom, ‘If you see me on Hard Knocks, don’t be surprised.’ You don’t want to give them a reason to get rid of you,” Thomas said.

The Dolphins didn’t get rid of Thomas, a 2011 second-round draft pick who has played well in the preseason, so they obviously think he has something to contribute. They just hope he can start showing up on time.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Daniel Thomas was embarrassed by his portrayal on Hard Knocks”
  1. waussau says: Sep 1, 2012 5:19 PM

If you don’t want to be embarrassed, then try being on time.

2. blacknole08 says: Sep 1, 2012 5:20 PM

HBO cameras or not, if Thomas didn’t mess up, he wouldn’t have been scolded. Props to Philbin for holding his players accountable.

3. coltsluckdynasty says: Sep 1, 2012 5:23 PM

Philbin is a clueless joke, this is by far the worst season of hardknocks yet. I get being on time to your job, and being punctual, but this guy is so out of touch, it’s sad… This dolphins team will be terrible, and will get the first pick in the draft hands down. Then, they will trade tannehill for a second round pick, and think they got the better end of the deal. Philbin’s personality is terrible, and won’t get the most out of his players, for these exact reasons. If this was habitual, I could see calling him out, I would have considered doing this in maybe a more private setting. If I was any free agent, I would steer clear of this franchise, and pray my team didn’t trade me to the dolphins.

4. bennyb82 says: Sep 1, 2012 5:29 PM

If I was on an nfl team that was scheduled to on Hard Knocks, it would kinda freak me out. One mishap and it will be brought to your attention for a long time…not by your teammates, but by anyone who watched the show.

5. skoobyfl says: Sep 1, 2012 5:30 PM

This team’s going nowhere.

6. thevikes14 says: Sep 1, 2012 5:32 PM

I hear chad Johnson is embarrassed after headbutts too… I mean hard knocks

7. thetwilightsown says: Sep 1, 2012 5:35 PM

Colts fans are pretty funny, right?

8. clu1perceiver says: Sep 1, 2012 5:39 PM

Based on Thomas’s reaction, Philbin was right on time with his chastisement. A classic case of nipping bad behavior in the bud.

9. bchapman2011 says: Sep 1, 2012 5:40 PM

This whole season will be embarrasing for the Miami orginization or at least it should be.
    I had hopes of small improvements and a .500 season. Thiss current roster will over acheive if they reach 5 wins.

10. krakyahead says: Sep 1, 2012 5:43 PM

Bust thy name is Daniel Thomas…..

11. fdugrad says: Sep 1, 2012 5:43 PM

“Thomas said that’s not who he is.” Perhaps it was Larry Csonka or maybe Jim Kiick! It couldn’t POSSIBLY been HIM!!

12. dalucks says: Sep 1, 2012 5:44 PM

I felt the entire Dolphins organization should be embarrassed with the way the Dolphins represented themselves on the show. Going inside a 4-12 team really is not must see tv.

13. lilrob10201 says: Sep 1, 2012 5:45 PM

You should not be embarrassed.Every player makes mistakes and gets chewed out at least once.

14. samapoc says: Sep 1, 2012 5:45 PM

Philbin seems so out of touch with his players. It’s sad, really. Tannehill is obviously an upgrade but if he allows Philbin to keep his job by winning 5-6 games, it’s actually going to hurt the franchise. They need to let Philbin go, retool the coaching staff, get a new GM, and build around next year’s top draft pick. Anything else will mean years of mediocrity or worse.

15. jfinn5 says: Sep 1, 2012 5:53 PM

If I was an owner, I would never want my team training camp being filmed by Hard Knocks. It’s just a circus for ratings.

16. iloveflorio says: Sep 1, 2012 5:55 PM

Can you say worst team in nfl??? Philbin looks better suited to be o-coordinator or perhaps his style would be well received at a high school in Minnesota?

17. txbossman says: Sep 1, 2012 6:09 PM

Know the easy way to not be called out for being late?

Be on time.

It’s what us big boys in the real world have to do all the time.

18. tannethrill says: Sep 1, 2012 6:11 PM

Tired of the Philbin bashing comments. He’s there for his football mind and if you feel he’s out of touch with the players then it’s likely they’re out of touch to him.

He’s the boss, not the other way around so if a player isn’t buying in then he’ll be shipped out soon. It’s a job for a team like the Fins with meager expectations. Either do your job on your own or fond out you’ve been cut or traded.

Philbin is Philbin and he’s here or they clean house so if a player doesn’t like his style then see you later. Same with Ireland who IMO is attached to the results of Philbin.

19. eagleswin says: Sep 1, 2012 6:15 PM

samapoc says:
    Sep 1, 2012 5:45 PM

——————————

You mean intentionally tank like the colts did last year? It worked for them and the league didn’t call them on it.

20. hedleykow says: Sep 1, 2012 6:21 PM

Think how much the Dolphins would suck if Bill Parcells wouldn’t have spent so much time fixing everything.

21. firemarshal1 says: Sep 1, 2012 6:23 PM

It’s refreshing to see discipline restored in the Dolphins organization. Coach Shula would be proud.

22. laphinfan says: Sep 1, 2012 6:39 PM

Fan is short for PHANATIC. Guy hasn’t even coached a regular season game yet.

23. chiefsroyals says: Sep 1, 2012 6:44 PM

Actions speak louder than words Mr. Thomas

24. 69finfan says: Sep 1, 2012 6:51 PM

They need to let Philbin go huh. In case you haven’t been following Joe Philbin was just brought in this season to be the Head Coach and you want them to let him go before he coaches his first regular season game. Right, that’ll work out good, all the top teams are doing it.

25. 2ndaryinsanity says: Sep 1, 2012 7:02 PM

If I was late for work twice, my boss would probably call me into his office as well. How does holding players accountable = head coach being “out of touch” with his players???? How many people bi#*% about NFL players being immature brats who are allowed to do whatever they please? The Giants’ head coach demands accountability and they have 2 Super Bowl rings.
    I understand Dolphins fans being frustrated, but there hasn’t even been one game played (that counts) with the new head coach. This team is a mess, and it’s going to take some time to get better (no matter who the coach is). Just sayin’

26. thelastpieceofcheese says: Sep 1, 2012 7:30 PM

Daniel Thomas should be embarrassed for his on the field performance.

27. electionconfidential says: Sep 1, 2012 7:31 PM

Most of us aren’t allowed to be late for work. I don’t mind Philbin holding him accountable. Philbin trading people like Marshall and Davis is a different matter. I don’t think it’s being a control freak to yell at a guy for being late, but I DO think Philbin’s a control freak for other reasons.

I think it was a mistake to replace the HC without also replacing the GM. Jeff Ireland is probably the second or third worst GM in the game. That’s what would have really helped here, not just adding one more blow hard.

28. youarewrongandthisiswhy says: Sep 1, 2012 8:30 PM

Who are the leaders on this team? Long looks to carry a presence but who else? Looking at the roster and watching all of their preseason games, this could be the worst team in football (talent wise). Philbin has his work cut out for him. It will take 3 years to get this thing turned around.

I think Ireland goes if they have another 4-12ish disaster.

29. jsesquire says: Sep 1, 2012 8:39 PM

To all the people bashing Philbin for getting on Thomas’ case about being late:

Remember when everyone was saying the same thing about Tom Coughlin for fining players for being late? Two Super Bowls later…. not so much.

He’s a new coach and he needs to make his guys accountable. Seems to me like a guy who has the right combination of hard a** and easy to talk to.

30. igotgamenj says: Sep 1, 2012 9:04 PM

He should be, he’s a second round pick that we moved up to get start acting and playing like it

31. annes22 says: Sep 1, 2012 9:57 PM

Why is everyone criticizing Philbin?You haven’t seen a game this season yet, so wait until that happens and see how the Dolphins play. It’s ridiculous before the season starts. Talk about critical, he’s only telling the truth. Show up on time for the plane and practice, and maybe you won’t be the subject of Hard Knocks. If you don’t, be prepared to be the laughing stock of the show, and you deserve it. Daniel Thomas needs to improve this season, to back up Reggie.

32. finandtimfan says: Sep 1, 2012 10:20 PM

I like Philbin and I like that he is holding his players accountable. Given a chance and with a little help from his GM to get some additional talent I think the Fins will get some wins. Go Dolphins!!

33. katolungile says: Sep 1, 2012 11:19 PM

“Wrong place wrong time… ”

or

“Just misunderstood.”

or

“Was always smiling and laughing, and making others laugh…”

34. robgilman says: Sep 1, 2012 11:23 PM

At the end of the day, the only thing that sells in the NFL is winning. Putting a team on a show like Hard Knocks does nothing to contribute to that. It’s a distraction and leads to additional drama that already takes place during training camp to begin with. Owners that do it I think are selling out their players and coaches. Especially a rebuilding team like the dolphins. The last thing you need is embarrassing your players publicly (to the entire nation) or exposing players to private conversations about them by coaches. If I’m an owner trying to build a focused winning team, last thing I would do is put them on HBO.

35. elitekane says: Sep 2, 2012 12:30 AM

Why people saying he’s a bad coach?

Belichick has benched players for this same reason.

36. trbowman says: Sep 2, 2012 1:35 AM

The whole Hard Knocks thing was a disaster.

To embarrass players on national television like that, it’s just weak. Miami had to sign off on everything that got put on and they did

Nicknaming a guy ankle weights and putting that out there, really? Classless.

37. trbowman says: Sep 2, 2012 1:36 AM

That said, Daniel Thomas is awful. Can’t pass protect a lick. Minimal burst/speed. Runs way too upright (just like he did in college, don’t know why Dolphins scouts didn’t see it).

And for his size he should be a power back, but he’s like Brandon Jacobs – he doesn’t have that mentality.

38. kappy32 says: Sep 2, 2012 5:10 AM

I’m really not liking Philbin at all. This guy has come in here demanding the respect of a proven, championship winning head coach & he doesn’t have the resume to demand such. What has he done? Even at Philbin’s height in GB, he was nothing more than a name collecting a check; he NEVER called a single play as OC, that was McCarthy’s job. Philbin has been an assistant his entire career & I believe there is a reason for it. It may be harsh to say, although the truth is at times, but I don’t think he gets this job if his son doesn’t pass away during the interview process. There were far more qualified & better suited candidates than Philbin to take that job. The guy just looks lost leading this team. He needs the veterans to buy into his scheme & plan to be successful, but he has done nothing but upset them & ruffle feathers with his treatment of Chad Johnson & Vontae Davis. The Dolphins are going to be hard pressed to get big free agents to come there with him as coach. He will be done in Miami by the end of next season & Mike Sherman will be HC after he continues to develop Tannehill into a good QB as he did a TAMU. Sherman should’ve had the job in the first place.

39. cantonbound13 says: Sep 2, 2012 9:46 AM

Everyone besides Philbin, Tannehill & Jake Long is an embarrassment. Especially the owner & gm, those 2 clowns destroyed a once proud franchise.

40. lolo376 says: Sep 2, 2012 12:23 PM

This whole team has been crying about how they’re being portrayed on hard knocks! Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the volunteer to be on the show? Didn’t anyone of them see the show before?

41. kspl1 says: Sep 2, 2012 12:32 PM

This is the first season of hard knocks where coaches are laughing at players. Players are being filmed in embarrassing and uncomfortable settings. I haven’t watched an episode since they let Ocho go but I saw a clip of Davis being traded. This season is just classless and it’s never been like that before. I hope the dolphins go 0-16

42. backindasaddle says: Sep 2, 2012 4:05 PM

I think the kid just learned a lesson in one of the most effective ways you can learn a lesson: By getting your arss embarrassed publicly. I think this may be something that sticks within the nooks & crannies of his brain for the rest of his life. It may hurt now kid, but it will serve you well as you go through life.

43. phinfan says: Sep 2, 2012 5:11 PM

Another fantastic Ireland draft pick.

44. randomguy9999 says: Sep 2, 2012 8:03 PM

Everyone besides Philbin, Tannehill & Jake Long is an embarrassment.

—————————————————–

Tannehill is clueless and Long is leading the worst O line in the league …. ..