Hakeem Nicks says he’ll be playing through pain against Dallas

Hakeem+Nicks+New+York+Giants+v+Dallas+Cowboys+gYbkoW5EiSNl Getty Images

Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks will be on the field for Wednesday night’s opener against the Cowboys. But he’ll be hurting.

Nicks, who missed much of the offseason, training camp and the preseason with a broken foot, says the foot still hurts, but it doesn’t slow him down enough that he would miss a game over it.

“I have no setbacks, I’m expecting to play the whole game,” Nicks told Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. “It’s a situation where you just gotta get used to playing with it. It’s not going to feel great, I know that, but it’s a matter of me having the desire and want-to get through it.”

Nicks, who had 76 catches for 1,192 yards last season, says he doesn’t see any reason he’d be any less productive this season.

“I think I just gotta deal with the pain, I don’t think I’ll adjust my game any,” he said. “Whatever the scenario is, I’m just going to go out there and play hard. When I’m playing, it’s out of sight, out of mind.“

Putting a broken foot out of his mind won’t be easy, but that’s what Nicks says he’s going to do.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Hakeem Nicks says he’ll be playing through pain against Dallas”
  1. dccowboy says: Sep 1, 2012 11:39 AM

And he wants every one to know it.

2. nonetruerthanblue says: Sep 1, 2012 11:39 AM

You’re never 100% when you play in the NFL. Something’s always nagging or you’re in some kind of pain most of the time.

He’ll be fine.

3. seanje says: Sep 1, 2012 11:43 AM

As a Nicks fantasy owner, should I be worried this year about this injury?

4. bleed4philly says: Sep 1, 2012 12:16 PM

Defenders once again are adjusting their target.

5. east96st says: Sep 1, 2012 12:16 PM

“And he wants every one to know it.”

Well, in fairness, he doesn’t have the team putting out press releases everyday like Dallas did with Romo’s “broken” ribs that mysteriously completely healed before the season ended and required no post season care or follow up at all. You could always tell when it was a new day when the sun came up and Dallas updated us on how Tony was “toughing” it out.

6. lionsdraftguy says: Sep 1, 2012 12:17 PM

@seanje

I have Nicks also, but im still pretty confident he will be ok. I think if he wasnt healed enough to play and make an impact, they wouldnt play him.

7. brinew918 says: Sep 1, 2012 12:18 PM

Is it even worth making it worse? It’s the first game of the season

8. electionconfidential says: Sep 1, 2012 1:00 PM

Not good news. I’m not a doctor, but if the foot’s hurting because it was broken, isn’t there some question as to whether it’s completely healed??

9. bigd93 says: Sep 1, 2012 1:02 PM

as a cowboys fan, and all due respect to nicks, can i put a bounty on him ? ten bucks for the first cowboy to put him out. i want to beat them giants !!!!

10. zack2482 says: Sep 1, 2012 1:04 PM

For one Romo is a hell of a lot more important to his team than Nicks is and ribs heal on their own Einstein. And during the actual season their is an injury report that teams have to disclosure before a game. Hope that helps.

11. abninf says: Sep 1, 2012 1:05 PM

Getting the excuses ready.

12. shinywalrus says: Sep 1, 2012 4:39 PM

Hakeem Nicks talks about it. Jason Witten does it.

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 1, 2012 4:45 PM

bigd93 says: Sep 1, 2012 1:02 PM

———-

Even if Nicks doesn’t play, the Giants have more than enough offensive weapons to win.

14. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 1, 2012 4:51 PM

the thing that bothers me is how the bone is compromised. It’s not 100% healed, and if you’ve had surgery and needed a bone to heal as the result, you know the pain is an indicator that there is healing left to be done. Playing won’t help it, and it could become weaker and resurface again during the season. And that is my worry. Nicks doesn’t ever seem to have the typical nicks and bumps that everyone has, it’s always something that costs him games and lingers — and seemingly always as the result of something innocuous each time.