He’s gotten on the train. And the conductors have welcomed him back with open arms.
Jaguars G.M. Gene Smith and coach Mike Mularkey have issued statements regarding the end of running back Maurice Jones-Drew’s 38-day holdout.
“It’s great to have Maurice back in the building,” Smith said. “He has been a valuable part of this organization, and his presence in the locker room and on the field will make those around him better. We’re glad to now have everyone in and working as a team to win football games.”
“I had a really good visit this morning with Maurice and I welcomed him in,” Mularkey said. “It was good to finally speak face-to-face. I can tell he’s ready to go, so we’ll be working with him to get him up to speed as quickly as possible. It’s great to be able to proceed with our preparation for the opener and the season beyond with Maurice as part of the plans.”
Missing from the quotes was any reference as to whether Jones-Drew will play next Sunday, when the Jaguars visit Minnesota. Mularkey previously has said that Rashad Jennings will get the start.
Also missing was any comment from owner Shahid Khan, who publicly inflamed the situation with remarks that riled up Jones-Drew. If, as it appears, Jones-Drew received nothing to report (there’s even chatter that his seven-figure fines won’t be waived), Khan would be wise to do or say something that would appear conciliatory and magnanimous.
UPDATE 3:58 p.m. ET: And Khan has now issued a separate statement. It may not be completely conciliatory and magnanimous, but it’s definitely not inflammatory.