Lion will sign Drayton Florence today

Buffalo Bills Vs. New England Patriots At Gillette Stadium Getty Images

There’s good reason for anxiety among Lions players today.  One of the current 53 men on the roster will be getting cut soon, because cornerback Drayton Florence will be joining the team today, per a source with knowledge of the situation.

Florence, a nine-year veteran who was cut Friday by the Broncos, will help beef up an inexperienced and banged-up secondary in Detroit.

News of the possibility first arose on Saturday, when Lions receiver Kassim Osgood tweeted a welcome message to his former Chargers teammate.  Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press thereafter reported that a deal hadn’t been done, but that it likely was coming.

Florence, who started every game of the past two seasons in Buffalo, joins a depth chart that includes Chris Houston, Bill Bentley, Jacob Lacey, and Kevin Barnes, who arrived last week in a trade with the Redskins.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Lion will sign Drayton Florence today”
  1. suhdidntstompanyone says: Sep 2, 2012 12:19 PM

Uh oh Lions haters and assorted geniuses who’ve been dogging our secondary so hard!!!
    Looks like we’ve made a series of moves to shore up the safety and corner positions and that our secondary may not be so bad after all.
    Combine this with the fact that we have an absolutely brutal line that will put a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks and I’m feeling pretty good about our defense.

2. eddieapoc says: Sep 2, 2012 12:23 PM

I’m not going to say that I’m feeling good about our secondary, but Mayhew is making small smart moves to improve the group.

If our D-Line can put the pressure on we should be ok with this group.

3. lionsmark09 says: Sep 2, 2012 12:36 PM

I think Jonte Green is going to the practice squad. No ready yet.

4. dcsuperfan says: Sep 2, 2012 12:56 PM

Why was this guy released in the first place? I know he’s 31 but that’s not ancient. He’s better and probably healthier than Cedric Griffin, the ‘Skins should have scooped him up. Since there are mostly Lions fans reading this (I assume,) does anyone KNOW what the compensation was for Kevin Barnes? I know it’s a “conditional pick” but does anyone know the details? I know it’s pathetic but it’s been bugging me. We need all the picks we can get after the RGIII trade.

5. funktron2x says: Sep 2, 2012 1:29 PM

agreed on jonte…

6. broncosnative says: Sep 2, 2012 1:40 PM

dcsuperfan says: Sep 2, 2012 12:56 PM

————————————————————————————–
    No! the question is why has he been cut three times? He’s giving up a lot of big plays, I’ve watched all the broncos pre-season games and florence was simple outplayed by the younger guys. Ask the bills fans, he’s not good in coverage. Yeah he’ll get an occasional pick but he’ll get burnt more especially by speedy WRs.

7. ocdn says: Sep 2, 2012 1:54 PM

Now if Mayhew can get another running back…………..

8. EJ says: Sep 2, 2012 2:52 PM

Florence is a decent player, he is always putting in 110%. He has the ability to cover TE’s but gets burnt rather often by quicker Wideouts. He is a great tackler, rarely misses tackles and is good at run support. He has been a difference in games on the positive side with a few pick-6’s, but has also helped lose games with his problematic deep coverage skills. He almost always needs Safety help over the top. Overall, he gives your team decent coverage, great run support and is a big boost to the locker room, he is a leader. He never had the help of a good D-line while he was in Buffalo, so opposing QB’s had all day to throw. I’m willing to bet with a decent to good Defensive Line getting in and disrupting the QB, Florence will be a big help to Detroit. I wish Buffalo would have given him one more year to showcase his talents now that the Bills have some good Pass-rushers. He was one of my favorite Buffalo Bills.

9. johnniemayes says: Sep 2, 2012 2:57 PM

Being a Broncos fan and have watched Florence a few times live in camp, I can tell you there’s a good reason he got cut and couldn’t even make the Broncos as the 5th corner. He played horribly inconsistent and took careless gambles that got him beat time and time again. There’s no reason to be excited about adding a has been corner to your team.

10. classactcalvin81 says: Sep 2, 2012 3:00 PM

I went into the preseason thinking the same thing about needing another RB and don’t get me wrong we do but after seeing what Leshore did in game 4 receiving and running and it only being his 2nd pro debut I am feeling pretty good about us having a much more balanced attack this season!! I was excited going into last season because I knew we were finally somewhat of a contender but my hopes for this season r much higher for the D and I am soo stoked for sum football!! No matter who u pull for I think we can all agree on that rite..

11. johnniemayes says: Sep 2, 2012 3:06 PM

Downrate away. Fact of the matter is the Broncos have arguably 2 of the best pass rushers in the league, a solid d-line. Still one of the best corners in the game, Champ Bailey. And Florence still couldn’t get the job done in Denver. Have fun Detroit

12. oxcitybombers says: Sep 2, 2012 4:25 PM

Drayton Florence?!?! … Super Bowl!!!

13. fuchdahbears says: Sep 3, 2012 7:19 AM

The Bronco’s do have two of the best pass rushers but, do not compare that to the the Lions. WE ARE #2 IN THE LEAGUE AS A TEAM IN TOTAL SACKS. SECOND ONLY TO THE GIANTS.

14. jimmylions says: Sep 3, 2012 6:54 PM

I’m very concerned about our secondary.

Gunther better have some very clever and creative blitz packages put together.

Our offense is looking amazing, and our defensive line is clearly one of the best in the league. I’m hoping we don’t see a lot of shootouts, and that we can eat a lot of the clock to tire out the opposing defenses.