Tuesday CT scan will determine Witten’s availability for opener

136552862 Getty Images

Yes, Cowboys tight end Jason Witten will indeed be evaluated one more time before Wednesday night’s game between Dallas and the New York Giants.  And, yes, Witten definitely wants to play.

Specifically, he’ll have another CT scan on Tuesday, according to Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

If I get cleared, I’m playing,” Witten said.  “It’s the only way, I believe, you can approach the game.  I think people know that’s the only way I’m playing.  This is what you play for.  It’s an opportunity, especially where we’re at and how much work we’ve put into this situation.”

So is he optimistic about what the scan will reveal?  “I mean, I wouldn’t say optimistic, just because as of right now, it’s been a tough challenge to get to that point.  So I wouldn’t say I was optimistic.  Optimistic would be if it was in my hands and my control.  So no, from that standpoint.”

Witten may not be optimistic, but the guy who throws him footballs is.

“As of what I know, I think he’s going to, yes,” Tony Romo said, via Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Whether or not Witten plays, the Cowboys need to keep the Giants guessing as to whether he will.  So far, the Cowboys are doing a very good job of that.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Tuesday CT scan will determine Witten’s availability for opener”
  1. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 2, 2012 4:42 PM

Romo should know and he thinks Witten plays however he must be cleared by doctors which is not a sure thing to happen.

2. nflfollower says: Sep 2, 2012 4:42 PM

Tony Romo commenting on whether he thinks he’ll play is comical. This isn’t a meniscus tear or a groin strain. It’s a lacerated spleen, and if it’s not fully healed it would be the height of stupidity to let him suit up. The speculation is unnecessary, this should be an objective decision.

3. marygratton18 says: Sep 2, 2012 4:43 PM

What’s the dollar value of a spleeen? His family will have their hearts in their throats when he takes the field. And I cannot imagine the fearlessness it will take from him.

4. psekiller says: Sep 2, 2012 4:53 PM

Witten is one of those players teams game plan for, so the Cowboys are doing a great job at making the giants plan for him. I think he will play just because he is Jason Witten (FHOF)

5. clu1perceiver says: Sep 2, 2012 4:58 PM

Witten has the right spirit but his injury is very slow to heal properly and re-injures quickly.

6. fuzzynuts55 says: Sep 2, 2012 5:02 PM

8-8 dallas

7. cowboyscanada says: Sep 2, 2012 5:08 PM

Its a long season, no need to rush him back.

8. ctgiant says: Sep 2, 2012 5:11 PM

Who as a fan, would not want to see a future HOF TE, play? BUT, as stated above, it should be solely based on a medical-based, objective scan, or what ever else is necessary, to insure Witt-en’ssafety, period! Spleen, potential bleeding, surgery
    and death, in a violent sport, hope he, the team, the doctors, have his best interests in mind, WTH.
    CT GIANT

9. keithbangedyermom says: Sep 2, 2012 5:15 PM

I don’t know why they just don’t shelve him for 4 weeks. With the bye, that would give him 5 weeks off. And at least the spleen would be healed.

By forcing the issue, one good shot can end his season.

10. cliffordc05 says: Sep 2, 2012 5:30 PM

If he is reinjured he could be gone for the season. I know this guy is important to their offense, but it is not worth rushing him back. I will be shocked if the doctors give him approval to play. If they do then I doubt their objectivity.

11. calizcowboyz says: Sep 2, 2012 5:58 PM

How are we going 8-8 this year? We where 8-8 last year with a horrible secondary and horrible old ilb’s.

Add Carr, Claiborne, Carter, Conner…… Sure not looking like 8-8 to me.

Err, the Giants where only 9-7 peeps!

Keep hating, but look at the reality, Giants missing both their starting corners, Dez, and Miles both are going over a hundred yards and a couple t.d’s each.

Cowboys 31 Giants 17

Take that to the bank!

Different team, different year!

12. kingcarlbanks says: Sep 2, 2012 6:25 PM

@calizcocowboys,

A rookie CB who missed some camp, a CB from KC who lost his job to Stanford Routt, and two linebackers, one a had been, one a never will be. Oh yeah, much improvement. Cowboys still have that porous O Line, Miles is still nursing the hamstring he pulled signing that big contract, and Dez?, go ahead and count on him. Seems like your grasping at straws. Oh btw, the only team in the NFC East you could beat last year were the Skins, and you probably wont get those wins this year. Cowboys 6-10.

13. itsmammoth says: Sep 2, 2012 6:58 PM

@ calizcowboyz

I have to agree. I think this new Dallas defense is going to shock a lot of people.

14. rodeoclownclint24 says: Sep 2, 2012 7:07 PM

Lmao brandon carr didnt loose his job at all u should stop postin cause u are obviously clueless

15. gdt372753 says: Sep 2, 2012 7:33 PM

Witten is an animal, but he’s also a smart one. If he’s cleared, he’ll play, because he is such a competitive individual.

16. nygmenruleny says: Sep 2, 2012 9:42 PM

Yeah, I’m a Giants fan. I want Witten on the field because he is just plain fun to watch. However, this is a situation where the Drs. have to protect the player from himself. He is an absolute beast and one of the most competitive guys on that team.

17. calizcowboyz says: Sep 2, 2012 9:43 PM

“kingcalrbanks” – Hey seriously we get two more wins just by cutting the “Giants MVP Newman”.

That guy help you more then he ever helped us last year.

Also add a full off season and training camp to learn and master Rob Ryans defense.

Our oline can be masked until they start to jell.
    You know running the ball with our stud Murray,
    quick three step drops, screens, draws, two tight end sets…… yep we are just fine guy.

By the way, how are you masking your very poures
    secondary from Miles, Dez, Witten, and Murray out of the back field? Dude you have no corners or safety’s.

Carter Claiborne Carr Connors Church a healthy Jenkins, Ware, Ratlif, Lee …. OMG!
    Say good nite Sheli!

18. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 2, 2012 10:17 PM

It’s week one. Rest your chest muscle.

19. fm31970 says: Sep 2, 2012 11:43 PM

I assume he’ll be wearing a flak jacket extension if he plays?