Jeremy Bridges says he’s heading to IR

St. Louis Rams v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

A wobbly Cardinals’ offensive line has taken another body blow.

Jeremy Bridges, the starting right tackle entering training camp, said today that he has torn ligaments in his thumb, and that he’s headed to injured reserve, via Darren Urban of the team’s official website.

Though Bridges had been bumped from the first string by D’Anthony Batiste and then kept on the second team once Batiste moved to the left side to replace Levi Brown (who’s out for the year), and rookie Bobby Massie was given the job on the right side.

If Bridges is placed on IR after 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, he can be “designated for return,” and he can return to practice six weeks later — and to games eight weeks later.

Until then, the Cardinals have depth issues at the tackle position, and they need to address them quickly.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Jeremy Bridges says he’s heading to IR”
  1. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Sep 3, 2012 12:41 AM

We have Nate potter though even though he was 7th round pick he can’t be as bad as Bridges. The rest of the lines is ok with
    Left guard- Colledge
    Center- Sendlein
    Right guard- Synder
    Right tackle- Massie

2. raiderinva says: Sep 3, 2012 12:57 AM

Damn…

Remember when an injury of this type gave the lineman the upper hand because he had to wear a cast (or club) ?

Just saying…..

3. eventhorizon04 says: Sep 3, 2012 7:06 AM

“It is kind of odd that if I tore a ligament in my thumb I would still have to go to work. I do depend upon both of my thumbs to work, and would still have to show up even with an injury.”

Yep. You depend on your thumb to press the spacebar on the keyboard, he depends on his hand to combat 300 pound defensive linemen – basically the same thing, right?

4. howiefeltersnatch says: Sep 3, 2012 7:58 AM

If he was in New England, instead of IR he’d be the ninth man on the practice squad

5. justbust says: Sep 3, 2012 8:41 AM

I had one of these the tendon actually goes from your finger tip all the way to your elbow. It’s gotta be kept immobile or it will just snap like a rubber band. Nick Barnett was just kept out for a really long time over one of these in his ring finger I believe. The funny thing is when it snaps your can function close to 100% the old school athletes probably just didn’t care because there isn’t a lot of pain after a tendon snaps in your hand you can barely feel it.

6. austinjdd says: Sep 3, 2012 12:12 PM

This is a loss? Would an injury to any of the AZ tackles be a loss? I think not