Ryan clarifies Stephen Hill remarks

Celebrities Attend The 2012 Stanley Cup Final Game Two - June 2, 2012 Getty Images

As it turns out, Jets coach Rex Ryan didn’t intend to diss rookie receiver Stephen Hill.  Or the front office.  Or anyone.

Asked Monday about comments to Don Banks of SI.com that seemed to clearly indicate Ryan wasn’t on board with the decision to trade up in round two and draft Hill, Ryan clarified the remarks.

“That one took off way different than the intent was,” Ryan said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

The comments, even in the context of the full quote, suggested that Ryan didn’t want Hill, which fairly can be interpreted as a slap against both Hill and, to a lesser extent, G.M. Mike Tannenbaum.

‘Well, nothing told me he would [contribute],” Ryan told Don Banks of SI.com.  “Nothing. When I saw the tape [of his collegiate play] I was concerned.  But [Jets G.M.] Mike Tannenbaum and [senior personnel executive] Terry [Bradway] and all our scouts were adamant about this guy.  They were adamant that this guy can do it.  He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he’s got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5.  He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout?  Not my dream pick.  But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him:  ‘Oh, that was my pick.’  But it really wasn’t.”

Banks later clarified the comments on Twitter, explaining that Rex was joking and attempting to reflect self-deprecation.  Ryan said today that his skepticism flowed from the fact that Hill played for a team that ran the ball much more than passed it.

“We talk about us being ground and pound, Georgia Tech that’s major ground and pound,” Ryan said.

“You see him on the practice field, he gets off press, he runs good routes,” Ryan said.  “He’s definitely my pick now, because I think he’s going to have a really bright future.”

None of it changes what Ryan said.  And whatever his goal was in saying what he said, the effort apparently was unsuccessful.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Ryan clarifies Stephen Hill remarks”
  1. nycoccet says: Sep 3, 2012 5:50 PM

i apparently took it different then everyone else bc i thought he was giving credit to the other guys for seeing something he couldnt. is it a surprise its not his dream pick? he is one of the best defensive coaches maybe ever of course its not his dream pick he wants a D-end or a linebacker or something and if he didnt have a gm he might not have enough guys to play offense. Hill has looked pretty good from what i saw and Ryan isnt taking credit for the pick nd somehow ppl say its bc he has a rift with Tennebaum. I thought he was giving credit to his GM and scouts.

2. vincentbojackson says: Sep 3, 2012 5:59 PM

Rex wasn’t sold on his footwork.

3. jpb12 says: Sep 3, 2012 6:01 PM

Poor Rex.
    He’s so misunderstood.

4. gil310 says: Sep 3, 2012 6:26 PM

If you can play you can play Period!!

5. backindasaddle says: Sep 3, 2012 6:58 PM

Just more of Rexy and his constant flood of verbal diarrhea. If nothing else…he provides entertainment.

6. eventhorizon04 says: Sep 3, 2012 7:07 PM

Not a Jets fan, by the way I read it, Stephen Hill was coveted by the entire scouting department and the GM, and they believed in Hill so much they argued with Rex until he agreed.

That’s not exactly a slap in the face for Hill.

7. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 3, 2012 7:21 PM

I get what Rex is saying here. You’re picking a WR on a team that rarely passed. Legit concerns. Also think Rex likes drafting guys on the defensive side.

8. jpb12 says: Sep 3, 2012 8:17 PM

Never seen a Head Coach have to backtrack on his statements as much as this guy.

9. zinn22 says: Sep 3, 2012 8:28 PM

Rex is not your typical coach that acts like a politician weighs everything he said. He simply is honest and said what he feels. That may not always come out well but being honest is Rex’s strength and is what sets him part from other coaches. The NFL has everything choreographed, pre-planned and sanitized. Rex is their worst nightmare.

The problem people have with Rex is when they try to read into things he said. He is just being Rex and saying what is on his mind. That is it nothing more or less. While I thin Rex often talks to much I think he is also a breath of fresh air in the regulated PC NFL.

10. wikipediasaidso says: Sep 3, 2012 8:29 PM

Didn’t think this quote was that big a deal the first time I read it, since it didn’t seem like an ultimately negative comment….except for the fact that it was lacking tact for Rex to go with those “I thought Hill showed nothing in college” opinions on his way to a backhanded compliment.

Because it sounded pretty critical of Hill. If it wasn’t what he meant, there really wasn’t any need to play with fire like that. Joking or not. That stuff doesn’t always translate in print. Rex has been a head coach — in a major media market — long enough to know that.

11. pastabelly says: Sep 3, 2012 9:25 PM

zinn22 says:
    Sep 3, 2012 8:28 PM

=================================
    I think he is a breath of hot air. The only thing that sets him apart from other coaches is that he is always willing to open his mouth.

12. nathanbetz91 says: Sep 3, 2012 10:47 PM

When will this guy shut up? Every year its something that he says that usually comes back to bite him

13. LoCoSu@%s says: Sep 3, 2012 11:22 PM

The best way to avoid being misunderstood is to say nothing.

14. toddtennis says: Sep 4, 2012 2:05 PM

I honestly don’t know the answer to this, but has the Georgia Tech offense changed that much since the last time one of it’s highly touted receivers went pro? I don’t remember people being down on Calvin Johnson because Georgia Tech had a “ground and pound” offense.