Chad Johnson works out on Hard Knocks, wants to keep playing

Chad Johnson AP

Chad Johnson doesn’t believe his NFL career is over.

Johnson, who was released by the Dolphins last month after a domestic violence arrest and has been out of work since then, appeared on the season finale of Hard Knocks and said he’s committed to proving that he deserves another chance in the NFL. A trainer put Johnson through an intense workout in front of the Hard Knocks cameras, and Johnson insisted that he has what it takes to help some NFL team.

“I know what somebody will get if they give me that chance again,” Johnson said.

Johnson said he takes responsibility for the domestic violence incident that ended both his brief stint with the Dolphins and, apparently, his marriage: His wife filed for divorce shortly afterward.

“I f–ked everything up,” Johnson said. “I’m sure some opinions, some views of me, might have changed because of events that have happened. But all I can do is say sorry. I’m human. I’ve just got to come back and live strong. . . . Somewhere along the way I lost focus. I lost something I love — I lost two things I love — because of my immature actions. I’m going to get both of those things back, one step at a time.”

Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said during a coaches’ meeting that he had received a text from Johnson saying, “I’m open,” and Johnson said he thinks he can play for five more seasons. But the reality is that it will be an upset if the 34-year-old Johnson plays one more game.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Chad Johnson works out on Hard Knocks, wants to keep playing”
  1. c0rona55 says: Sep 4, 2012 10:47 PM

Hard Knocks sucked SO BAD…..They had to use someone that doesnt even play for the team THEY ARE COVERING!!!

2. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 4, 2012 10:47 PM

It’s over Chad. Go fight in the UFC or wrestle.

3. ghjjf says: Sep 4, 2012 10:48 PM

Dolphins should replace Nannaee with Johnson. Johnson only had 1 drop in the preseason, Nannaee has had like 15 drops.

4. samapoc says: Sep 4, 2012 10:49 PM

How is he still on the show?

5. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 4, 2012 10:52 PM

I saw him playing on the beach. Workout? Chad looks weak and needs to hit weight room to become more physical with todays’s NFL CBs.

6. nestaaali says: Sep 4, 2012 10:52 PM

Showing Johnson is Hard Knocks way of saying:

The Miami Dolphins are boring.

Oh, and they’re also pretty bad at this football thing.

7. dalucks says: Sep 4, 2012 10:57 PM

Showing Chad Johnson just proves how lame the Dolphins are. He is still the best wide receiver on the show and most interesting story on Hard Knocks. Prior to Hard Knocks, I thought the Dolphins might be 5-11. Now after watching Hard Knocks and seeing their lack of talent on the roster, I now know they will be somewhere between 0-16 and 3-13. This is a disaster in the making and we have seen the beginning.

8. ripster65 says: Sep 4, 2012 10:57 PM

to quote the immortal Jake Blues…”…I ran out of gas! I had a flat tire! I didn’t have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT I SWEAR TO GOD!”

9. therillest says: Sep 4, 2012 10:57 PM

It was like a Chad Johnson infomercial…

10. fafafuey says: Sep 4, 2012 10:58 PM

You hit a woman and I for one wish C Johnson nothing but the worst.

11. trainsaw says: Sep 4, 2012 10:58 PM

What he did was inexcusable, but I’m glad he has taken accountability and apologized. I hope he can work through this and come back. Everyone makes mistakes, albeit some worse than others.

12. vuudu says: Sep 4, 2012 10:59 PM

What does this sentence mean? Are you implying that his moment of insanity be forever his doom and no second chance? If that is what you are getting at, I hope the same standard is held against you for any bad judgement you may exercise in life. We are prone to make mistakes, some learn from it others are wired to repeat, but what I love about America is the second chance most afford to those who at one point or the other do something completely stupid.

13. chevbo says: Sep 4, 2012 10:59 PM

Didn’t Chad Johnson already try and have a TV show that failed? C’mon HBO, your better than that…

14. skins1976 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:01 PM

Chad “T.O” Johnson

15. niners816 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:02 PM

Chad would still be their best receiver and he doesn’t even play for them anymore…smh.

16. nremi85 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:05 PM

Chad is better then n e one on r recieving core i promise u that so oeople can bash him but im still mad hes gone n wish we can get him back … Chad if u read this …have a great carreer, been a fan sence day one even when u were a pat n i hate the pats lol…go ocho

17. sterilizecromartie says: Sep 4, 2012 11:09 PM

Those scenes with Chad were like horrible clips from old Rocky movies. I was hearing “Eye of the Tiger” as he was running in the sand.

18. nyjets1017 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:13 PM

Wait til after week one and his salary isn’t guranteed, someone will look at him

19. Gordon says: Sep 4, 2012 11:15 PM

You’re seeing a common theme in this league nowadays. If you are a loudmouth or troublemaker with diminishing skills, no team will pick you up (TO, Chad, Plax, Tiki & you can even throw Winslow in there too now). Santonio will be joining that group in the next year or 2.

20. upperdecker19 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:27 PM

At least he didn’t invest in the bingo casino w/ Rosenhaus

21. vincentbojackson says: Sep 4, 2012 11:27 PM

Hard Knocks is great TV, but I can’t see any team, other than the attention starved Jets, signing on to do it in the future.

All of the consistently successful franchises are way too smart to join that circus. The teams that have done it in the past have probably now realized it was a mistake.

22. goatcheez says: Sep 4, 2012 11:35 PM

There’s always MLS.

23. ddogdaddy says: Sep 4, 2012 11:39 PM

You probably thought the 2 things he lost and wanted back are his wife and football. Wrong.
    1. Money
    2.Ho’s

24. joemammy says: Sep 4, 2012 11:40 PM

I think most teams know what to expect from Chad…someone who won’t, or can’t, read a play book.

25. fuzzynuts55 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:48 PM

Your a freaking douche bag.. No more chances..

26. sellout3871 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:51 PM

Worst Hard Knocks yet.

27. jameslongstaffe says: Sep 4, 2012 11:56 PM

Sorry Chad Johnson, you are not unlike many football players… you are a loser with athletic ability & now you have worn out your welcome. Good luck with your life, some day you will regret all your attitude… I feel sorry for you but then I remember that you only think of yourself anyways.

28. overheaddoor1981 says: Sep 5, 2012 12:06 AM

I like chad Johnson not too much ochocinco ego but I think he is back on track and will get a shot elsewhere this season

29. mazblast says: Sep 5, 2012 12:08 AM

Dear Chad,

Your act was tolerated when you were a productive player. Not liked, tolerated. You’re not productive anymore, so NO ONE WANTS TO PUT UP WITH YOUR ACT.

Shut up and go away. Permanently.

30. badintent says: Sep 5, 2012 12:36 AM

Why do I keep hearing Frank Sinatra singing , “Bring in the Clowns ” ?? Or ” You got no $$, you got no car, you got no hoe, so there you are, don’t just stand there, busta a move…. to CFL !! ” Sucker MC !!!

BC Lions, T.O. and 85, plus Kellen at TE, wow a real football team in a deadhead hockey riot town !!HA.

31. fuddpucker says: Sep 5, 2012 12:55 AM

Once he changed his name back to Chad Johnson he went back to just being a loudmouth from Liberty City.

32. lilb360 says: Sep 5, 2012 1:14 AM

I echo the setiment of quite a few people on this board in saying that this season was the absolute worst Hard Knocks yet. My favorite seasons were the Jets and Ravens and I am a fan of neither, what made it entertaining was that the people from those two organizations actually display personalities.
    I’m afraid that there will be no more Hard knocks after this crappy season and showing the butt crack of the NFL in the Miami Dolphins. I am a Bronco fan and would have loved to see Denver on the show, however the only teams that will now do the show are the lower tier teams like the dolphins because they can’t make money with the product on the field.

33. mazblast says: Sep 5, 2012 2:13 AM

Chad’s being from Liberty City may explain his outrageous talk and perpetual self-promotion. The problem is that once he made it to the “big time”, no one ever seemed to take him aside and say, “You’ve made it out of that hellhole, you’re not going back, now how about chanelling all that energy into your PLAY?”

34. applecool1981 says: Sep 5, 2012 3:07 AM

You got a chance in NE with Tom freaking Brady and failed. You got fortunate and got picked up by the WR needy Dolphins, getting another chance. You blew that by your stupidity and don’t deserve another chance because you were given another one already; you failed. I respected you before this debacle because I thought you were just a jovial load mouth but now I shouldn’t be too surprised when you are starting to show your more alike T.O. than we knew since he is your friend after all.

35. irishnativeson says: Sep 5, 2012 3:14 AM

Imagine being Mike Sherman and receiving that text without wearing a depends. The dude had to have pi$$ed himself laughing.

36. fdugrad says: Sep 5, 2012 4:43 AM

“Because of my immature actions,” Oh yeah and an assault or two….It is a remarkable thing to think about ALL it took as well as the length of time necessary to finally realize how his behaviors got in the way throughout his career, and how much better a wr he should have become, not to mention how elevated his reputation as a person would have been if he didn’t find it so crucial to play the fool. He WILL be lucky to play another down in the NFL. The sadder issue to contemplate for him is simply what he can do for the next forty to fifty years of his life. Other than catching a ball, exactly what job skills or training/education does Chad have exactly? Immature actions indeed.

37. JMil_ATL says: Sep 5, 2012 6:00 AM

His apology seems better and more sincere than…
    Vick
    Stallworth
    Ray Lewis

38. mistrezzrachael says: Sep 5, 2012 6:12 AM

He had a great opportunity last season…to fully CHANGE his cartoon character personna,,,while playing w/NE.

He didn’t/couldn’t do it…Then he goes to Miami & says the reason was his ‘personality’ was held back.

Too bad…guy has talent..but doesn’t have a brain.

39. tomtravis76 says: Sep 5, 2012 7:32 AM

Pencil in one more thing Steve Ross screwed up as owner of the Dolphins.

Miami will not be any good until Steve Ross and his band of goons has left town. Ross and Dee have turned the Dolphins into a minor league baseball team.

40. bluereign says: Sep 5, 2012 8:24 AM

Chad will be signed sometime next week when teams don’t have to guarantee veterans money anymore

41. buffalobills2012 says: Sep 5, 2012 8:31 AM

im pretty sure its not the talent level as he probably is better than 20% of the WR’s in the league…its the mental. Dude is a major mental case. He honestly and truly needs a psychotherapist….fo real, yo.

42. t2live says: Sep 5, 2012 9:08 AM

He made a dumb mistake. We have all made them at some point in our life. Sometimes when it rains it pours because of the decisions we made. No one really knows what exactly happened in the car that night, but he’s taking responsibility for his actions and thats a good first step. Chad seems like a cool guy, i hope gets another chance and he and Evelyn work things out.

43. m1000be says: Sep 5, 2012 9:08 AM

(1) You know your team sucks when Hard Knocks has to continue to follow the player you cut, just to get an episode in the can.

(2) Chad, you may be open, but it’s too little too late. After his stinker year with the Patriots and now this, I think his career is over.

(3) I honestly believe Chad has a learning disability. You take his past academic record and reports of him never actually learning the playbook in Cincinnati, plus not being able to learn it in New England or Miami and it all shows a bigger picture. Not to mention his outlandish behavior as a clown, which is typical of someone trying to cover up a perceived “flaw”.

And if that is the case, then shame on these schools. They pass these kids along , without any regard to their actual academic performance, thus not preparing them for the actual world. Another one is Vontae Davis. Just looking at him and his reaction to being traded, “can I call my grandma”, was enough for me to think he also had issues. It’s nothing new (see: Michael Oher), but it’s still frustrating. And in retrospect, makes me feel sorry for Chad in a lot of ways. Yes, he got paid millions to play a game, but in the most basic of senses, he is simply not prepared for life without football.

44. kinggeorgexii says: Sep 5, 2012 9:27 AM

chad chad chad…your career is over. nobody wants you or to watch you play. nobody likes you. nobody cares about you. go away, chad.

45. orthomarine says: Sep 5, 2012 9:47 AM

How embarrassing to spend time in him and not on those who didn’t head butt their wife???

Love to of known more about Devon Bess, Hogan, Wake, hell… Anyone

46. captcrunch5019 says: Sep 5, 2012 12:01 PM

So…we need receivers. Johnson had been impressing the coaches up to the point his personal life got a lot screwy…he appears to be truly contrite about his trespass, why not give him one more chance?? Any body drops accidental F… bombs from time to time.

47. ksircloud says: Sep 5, 2012 1:47 PM

Its hard being a Dolphins fan and not because of the state of the team or the moves that have been made. We have the worst fans in the NFL. The amount of crying that goes on here is unreal. First year head coach lets try giving him a chance to work out his plan. It really doesn’t matter what product we put on the field you so called fans don’t go to games anyway. How about supporting your team. Shut up and let the season develop. Wow you fans are like women. Just relax.

48. thelastpieceofcheese says: Sep 5, 2012 7:11 PM

Chad Johnson earned $39 MILLION (rounded) in his NFL career. Why is he begging for a job? What a greedy capitalist pig!