Even after great success, Mara haunted by past losses

New York Giants President John Mara speaks to the media after recieving his newly designed ring commemorating their Super Bowl victory earlier this year  arrived at Tiffany & Co.'s flagship store in New York Reuters

Things are good for the New York Giants now.

But it wasn’t that long ago they weren’t, and those are the thoughts that haunt Giants president and CEO John Mara.

He vividly remembers the stretch from 1964-80, when he was growing from a boy to a man, with just two winning seasons among them.

“It makes me feel good, believe me, because those were some pretty difficult years and I cite those often when people ask me about our team,” Mara told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “It serves as extra motivation for me because I still haven’t forgotten those years. Every once in a while, I wake up in the middle of the night with a nightmare thinking about some of those teams we had in the 1970s.

“So, certainly our franchise is much stronger now than it has been in quite some time. That is due to the fact we have a solid organization, we got a franchise quarterback and we got a franchise head coach.”

Mara’s not thinking about a repeat, saying that’s “when you end up 6-10.”

But he does know his franchise is on stable footing, thanks to Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin. Only Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have won multiple titles among the current group, and the fact both the Giants titles came over the Patriots makes it sweeter.

“The quarterback gives us a chance every week,” Mara said. “I used to feel that way when we had Phil Simms and I certainly feel that way now. If the game is on the line in the fourth quarter, you know that he believes he’s going to go out there and win the game.

“It’s nice to see your best player have that kind of confidence. It makes the rest of the organization believe that you have a chance to win, too.”

For all his rivals in the NFC, Mara still considers Wednesday’s opponent the Cowboys the biggest.

“Just because of the incredible fan base that they have and the visibility that they have,” Mara said. “There is something special, and all those years of getting our butts kicked by them, it makes it special there.”

Here we go with butt-kicking talk again. Somebody get Jerry Jones on the phone.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Even after great success, Mara haunted by past losses”
  1. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 4, 2012 7:23 AM

I can’t WAIT to see the Redskins to beat his team silly. You don’t steal our cap money and just think it’s all done. The Redskins will sweep the Blue off those helmets in convincing fashion.

2. turgidsen says: Sep 4, 2012 7:23 AM

Hello, I’m John Mara and I earned my money the old fashion way. I was born into wealth and have never had to work a day in my life. Thank you daddy!

3. zn0rseman says: Sep 4, 2012 8:08 AM

One play or one favorable call that doesn’t go the Giants way in about a half a dozen games last year, and they miss the playoffs altogether. No Super Bowl. Eli Manning still considered mediocre. Tom Coughlin’s job in question.

Lucky for the Giants that in the recent era of NFL brand football that things seem to just happen to go right at the right times… at least for large market teams anyway…

4. bigbluefan1 says: Sep 4, 2012 8:10 AM

The great ones are not happy and always worry

5. cooklynn17 says: Sep 4, 2012 8:19 AM

This guy and entire team is all class, and it shows he is fully invested and cares about his team.

Its great to be a Giants fan.

6. deathtoromo says: Sep 4, 2012 8:23 AM

Mara then proceeded to take more cap space from the skins and cowboys to help avoid the above referenced 6-10.

7. zemongoose says: Sep 4, 2012 8:54 AM

The 64-80 period is probably the worst adversity this “man” has ever had to face in life.

8. MichaelEdits says: Sep 4, 2012 9:27 AM

The Cowboys aren’t a rival. They’re a joke. I love laughing. How about you?

9. EJ says: Sep 4, 2012 9:27 AM

Geez, I’d love it if the only thing that gave me nightmares was my own pro team not doing so well for 16 years. Hey Mara, try one of my nightmares on for size…. Bad dreams about not being able to support my family and going bankrupt from not being able to pay my bills with my average job. Now thats a nightmare, yours sounds quite like a dream come true compared to mine. Would you like some cheese with that whine?

10. macwomack says: Sep 4, 2012 9:58 AM

cooklynn17 says:Sep 4, 2012 8:19 AM

———–

You are aware that he admitted to illegal collusion to ESPN right? Don’t take my word for it you can even read the Union’s lawsuit – they used his words as the basis of their lawsuit.

Dumb / Idiotic – Certainly
    Classy – Definitely not.

11. omen316 says: Sep 4, 2012 10:51 AM

It’s too funny seeing all these fans talk smack because they’re still bitter about their team either choking or stinking it up last year. Makes that Super Bowl win that much better. All thAt coulda woulda shoulda talk is for losers and there’s no time for losers, cause WE ARe THe CHAMPIONS … OF THe World!! Go Giants !!”

12. 1historian says: Sep 4, 2012 10:54 AM

I have a friend in Arizona whose dad was tight with the Mara familyt once upopn a time and my friend was a ball boy for the gints back in the 50s and he STILL hasn’t gotten over the gints losing to the Colts in the OT game in 1958.

13. 1historian says: Sep 4, 2012 10:58 AM

He STILL insists that Gifford made that 1st down before Marchetti tackled him and the gints had to punt to the Colts which led to the drive that tied the game and sent it into overtime that sent the NFL into the financial stratosphere.

Being a Colts fan – ha ha.

Now I am a Pats’ fan.

I’ve spent a lot of money on Maple Syrup lately – more than a man should have to.

Such is life.

14. bigbluelou says: Sep 4, 2012 2:59 PM

So now that’s a crime? He has to apologize that his family became wealthy by taking a ‘risk’ to buy a football team in 1925?

He is a lawyer; he did go to school to LEARN.

turgidsen says:
    Sep 4, 2012 7:23 AM

15. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 4, 2012 3:01 PM

voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 4, 2012 7:23 AM

————–

It is embarrassing to see the depths to which the Redskins team and fans have fallen, bragging about games that only THEY will remember or deem to be significant for years after they take place.

Lest they forget the Giants owned them for the previous decade and will most likely go right back to sweeping them again this season.

16. nyg1 says: Sep 4, 2012 9:42 PM

When was the last time the Redskins were respectable? Too long ago…..
    Talk about the Jets, you are not in the same league as the SUPER BOWL CHAMPS NY GIANTS.