Greg Jennings knows this could be his last year in Green Bay

Chiefs Packers Football AP

As with many players entering the final year of their contract, Greg Jennings would love the security of a long-term extension.

But unless there’s a surprise in the next few days, the Packers wideout is resigned to the fact this could be his final year in Green Bay, and he wants to make the most of it.

“Whether the contract comes with Green Bay in the near future or one of the other 31 teams, that’s the reality of it,” Jennings said, via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “That’s the way I have to approach it. My mind-set is 20 weeks of football with the Packers and then this is it.

“This is my last year with the Packers under contract. That’s my mind-set. I’m not thinking about contract. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, I have to make sure I go out there and do what I’ve been doing for six solid years here to get myself a chance to play somewhere.”

Finding a home won’t be a problem for a big-play receiver such as Jennings, who has 6,171 receiving yards and 49 touchdowns in six seasons.

During the season, it becomes harder, and Jennings said he told agent Eugene Parker not to bother him once the season starts unless he was close to finishing something.

“My agent knows, we know our march to what we’re trying to reach,” Jennings said of the price range. “That’s it. Unless we come to those numbers, then I don’t want to hear anything about it.

“Like I said, I have one thing on my mind, that’s football this year with this team that I’ve been loyal to for six years. I’m a realist. I don’t put it past anyone. This organization has to do what it has to do for itself and I have to do what I have to do for Greg.”

The Packers have hard-balled pending free agents before, but never with a legitimate star such as Jennings, who will command as much money. There’s no reason to think he’s worth less than the $11.1 million per year with $26 million guaranteed Tampa Bay gave Vincent Jackson.

And with players such as Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews and B.J. Raji also in line for bumps, it’s hard to know if the Packers can, or will be able to do the deal, or franchise him, or watch him walk away.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Greg Jennings knows this could be his last year in Green Bay”
  1. tyso4 says: Sep 4, 2012 10:38 AM

Let the poor guy walk so he can have a shot SB.

2. packerbackernj says: Sep 4, 2012 10:38 AM

Don’t get excited vikings and redskins fans. He’s not leaving.

3. skeebo80 says: Sep 4, 2012 10:43 AM

No way I’m letting him walk if I’m in the Packers front office. He has too much football left

4. silverhornet says: Sep 4, 2012 10:46 AM

They’ll either franchise tag him or he’ll walk and play for Philbin in Miami.

5. iluvbears says: Sep 4, 2012 10:47 AM

Maybe he would want to be a Viking next year.

6. christopher525 says: Sep 4, 2012 10:48 AM

If Green Bay isn’t setting the world on fire by mid season, I could see a contender making an offer for him. Hell of a wideout, even as a Carolina fan, I hope he gets to stay in Green Bay.

7. kattykathy says: Sep 4, 2012 10:50 AM

Tampa grossly overpaid for Jackson out of need.

With Jordy and Cobb, the Packers don’t need to overpay Jennings. If he overvalues himself, the Pack will not over pay cause they don’t need to.

8. greenmamba12 says: Sep 4, 2012 10:53 AM

Here’s my two cents (for any pack fans)

Jordy Nelson can be a legit number 1 receiver. I truly believe that. He has the physical tools as well as ability to be.

Who gets to be the #2? If we are thinking about not this but next season, then donald is probably gone. I really think that it will be a toss up between Cobb or J.Jones. Both will get some work this season and one will separate (I’m thinking Cobb but who knows. The other one will be the #3.

Our fourth could be Boykin (kept surprisingly on the roster and not keeping the three more experienced and known WRs Gurley, Borel, and Shaky.) Pack saw enough from Boykin to stop developing three WRs they had been for quite some time. That says a lot (especially to a team that loves to groom their own).

5th? I somewhat count Finley in their and (IMO) that could be the pack’s 5

Ideal situation? Not really because J.Jones ain’t a superstar and Cobb is relatively unproven (although that could change after this season). Would I like to see 85 resigned? Damn right, but with Raji, Clay, and Aaron (I think?) contracts needing redoing/extending, it’ll be hard.

All I’m saying is that losing him would be a blow but not as big maybe as some think. But what do I know…

9. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 4, 2012 10:56 AM

Why would I want this guy on my team? Between Garcon, Hankerson and Brizcoe alone we are set with three #1 caliber WRs for most of the decade.

10. novanation33 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:05 AM

BJ Raji is one of the most overrated players in the league. Signing Jennings should be a much higher priority.

11. mcjon22 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:09 AM

As much as I would love to see him become a Free agent and Miami give him a kings ransom to catch passes from Tannehill, there’s no way Green bay is letting this guy walk. Good teams don’t operate that way. This is a non story

12. rightwingguy says: Sep 4, 2012 11:19 AM

Nobody wants to play in Miami

13. skinsfanwill says: Sep 4, 2012 11:22 AM

At least he isn’t talking about holding out. for that alone he deserves to be paid. He produced for them year in and out. And Jordy Nelson is only as good as the double team opposite of him. He is not a number 1 receiver. Stop fooling yourselves.

14. riverace19 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:23 AM

Cobb is a slot guy not a wideout like Jennings so don’t compare. Ted Thompson’s history says Jennings will sign elsewhere.

15. bosspower says: Sep 4, 2012 11:32 AM

I think the Broncos would REALLY make a push for him. I think Peyton gonna realize how good he had it in Indy with Garcon, Wayne, and Clarke. PM is gonna storm into Elway’s office Demanding Jennings !!!!!!

16. fuglyflorio says: Sep 4, 2012 11:32 AM

I think that maybe … just maybe … having Aaron Rodgers throwing you the ball has a little something to do with his success. I bet ‘results may vary’ if it’s Tim Tebow at QB.

17. packhawk04 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:32 AM

“Let the poor guy walk so he can have a shot at a SB.”

Hes already got a ring, but im sure greg appreciates your concern.

18. tonymission says: Sep 4, 2012 11:34 AM

Two words: franchise tag

19. southpaw2k says: Sep 4, 2012 11:34 AM

Had no idea Jennings was in a contract year. I always thought of him as one of the unsung elite wide receivers, where most people think of Megatron, Fitz, Cruz, and Roddy White as probably the best in the league, but almost no one remembers Jennings. Hope he has another solid year and gets himself a big pay day as a result.

20. stew48 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:35 AM

Two thoughts. First, I am a Steeler fan. Second, my memory might not be sharp. But, if my memory is correct, please let him go and we’ll grab him if we can. Don’t worry, haters, we’ll figure out a plan.

21. onbucky96 says: Sep 4, 2012 4:04 PM

In Teddy We Trust. Jennings will be Franchised, then 3yrs $33million, or so. Greg’s not going anywhere.

22. andygraham says: Sep 4, 2012 4:32 PM

Pay the man.

23. chi01town says: Sep 4, 2012 8:09 PM

Jennings is gone… Because Greenbay is broke.. They are going to try to make Rodgers the highest paid player in the NFL. but Jennings dont be sad because you wont be alone…

24. percey12 says: Sep 4, 2012 11:48 PM

The beginning of the end starts with the departure of Jennings next season! Suck pack man!