Bryant McKinnie says he has “no problem” with pay cut

BET's Rip The Runway 2012 - Arrivals Getty Images

For a guy who was tweeting about being gone fewer than 30 hours ago, Ravens left tackle Bryant McKinnie said he was content with the way things worked out.

I don’t have no problem,” McKinnie said Wednesday, via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. “If anything in business, you can’t get too many emotions tied up in it when you know you have to deal with business at the same time.

“It was business on their end, it was business on our end and we took care of it.”

The Ravens took care of it all right, squeezing a million bucks out of McKinnie because they could.

They dropped his base salary from $3.2 million to $2.2 million. He can earn the original number back in incentives, but that’s not guaranteed.

But a day ago, when he saw coach John Harbaugh’s number pop up on his phone, he thought he was an ex-Raven.

“At that point, I thought I was already gone,” McKinnie said. “I was surprised to get a phone call. I thought it was a farewell phone call.”

McKinnie said he wasn’t sure what prompted the discussions, but swore he was past the back-and-forth of the day before.

“There was a lot of change in emotions, swinging back and forth because you thought you were gone and then they’re back. I’m here now so I can focus on the Bengals,” he said. “I was a little bit confused but we managed to get through it and I’m still here. It was confusing, but we were able to work it out. That’s the only thing that matters really.”

Well, that and the Ravens saved some money, and proved yet again which side has the hammer in such negotiations.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Bryant McKinnie says he has “no problem” with pay cut”
  1. ejmat2 says: Sep 5, 2012 3:43 PM

He shouldn’t have any issues with it. At this point he’s lucky to still have an NFL job. He’s been nothing but a disappointment.

2. marvsleezy says: Sep 5, 2012 3:49 PM

It was a negotiation. I thought they tried to get him down to around a million. He held tough, told them to release him.

The Ravens blinked, never cut him, and increased their offer to 2 million.

It wasnt really that one sided after all in my opinion.

The player is happy that he is still being paid fairly.

3. tombradysponytail says: Sep 5, 2012 3:51 PM

I would guess that McKinnie is easily confused….

4. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Sep 5, 2012 3:57 PM

My paycheck was slashed 30% as well. I was very satisfied with the situation.

5. guitarkevin says: Sep 5, 2012 4:12 PM

Smart move by McKinnie and good for the Ravens.

6. johnnybgood19 says: Sep 5, 2012 4:19 PM

And where will he be 30 hours from now.

7. ravensdominate says: Sep 5, 2012 4:21 PM

Damn the Ravens are good at handling personnel! Take notes people!

8. rr2000k says: Sep 5, 2012 4:22 PM

He should be since he owes 4 million bucks.

9. therealbrettfavre says: Sep 5, 2012 4:22 PM

Why would he? It is all being garnished anyway!

10. rootintootinnootin says: Sep 5, 2012 4:27 PM

Really? No mention of the double negative?

“I don’t have no problem,” means he has a BIG problem.

11. steelersownyou says: Sep 5, 2012 4:30 PM

Another classless ravens move!

12. yinzgotsix says: Sep 5, 2012 4:31 PM

This guy has more talent than Starks and Adams combined.

13. conormacleod says: Sep 5, 2012 4:38 PM

Even McKinnie is surprised he wasn’t released! That might tell you something.

14. flaccotoboldin says: Sep 5, 2012 4:45 PM

Y’all are missing it:

The Ravens could wait to release him so late that he couldn’t catch onto any team week 1.

If you’re a vested vet, you want to be on a team week 1 so your yearly salary is guaranteed.

So he could have said cut me, they might have cut him on Saturday, and then he gets to check the market after week 1, and AFTER he can possibly get a guaranteed salary.

if he doesn’t take the cut, he’s risking losing a LOT more money.

15. dukemarc says: Sep 5, 2012 4:46 PM

Why would he – he’s getting 2 million to eat donuts all year.

16. schmitty2 says: Sep 5, 2012 5:02 PM

I didnt realize he looked like a chubby Brian Mcknight

17. granadafan says: Sep 5, 2012 5:04 PM

As my old company told when we griped about paycuts. A 30% paycut with benefits is better than a 100% paycut and no benefits, those are your options.

18. thepvyharvin says: Sep 5, 2012 5:17 PM

Big Mac is EVERYTHING I tell my kids to not be,,,fat,dumb and lazy. Everyone should despise a man who takes world class,high paying talent for granted,,,sickening!

19. conormacleod says: Sep 5, 2012 5:47 PM

I’m astonished anybody is taking his side. Please educate me. What is it about this lazy slob that would have fans like him?

20. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Sep 5, 2012 6:30 PM

If you can’t get McKinnie to cut fat, you can at least cut the fat out of his contract.

21. voyager6 says: Sep 5, 2012 6:44 PM

All it would have taken is a mere mention by McKinnie that the Ravens (and Joe Flacco) would receive exactly 2.2 million in pass protection versus the 3.2 million they were contractually to pay for.

22. askcabs says: Sep 5, 2012 8:41 PM

He is absolutely stealing money….now it is just a million less! Maybe he won’t be able to rent any more boats and hookers…..now that money is “tight” as well as his uniform! Loser….all the talent and opportunity and he squanders it all away!

23. fdugrad says: Sep 5, 2012 8:50 PM

“No problem with the pay cut.” Explain it to me again please…what choice was it that he had? Imagine not having enough drive, discipline and in the end, BRAINS to stay in shape and train year round at your world class facilities complete with nutritionists, private trainers, personal chefs etc. Next to the word lazy in any dictionary you will find a picture of this slug. ONE MILLION LOSS!!!