Randy Moss surprises reporters by stopping to talk

Randy Moss AP

If Randy Moss is anything, he’s unpredictable.

The 49ers wide receiver surprised reporters with an impromptu Q and A Wednesday, beginning by saying he didn’t want to talk about his return to Lambeau Field, and then talking about it.

“I think I played in Lambeau maybe 14, 15 times,” Moss said, via Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. “I’ve played there a lot of times. It’s in the teens, double digit. I’ve had success on that field, won and lost. I just don’t like people bringing up the old stuff.

“I try to have fun with the fans, try to have fun. But at the same time, I want to go out and compete. So I think it’s a good thing that my comeback — or whatever you want to consider it — Lambeau’s a nice place to start it.”

Moss admitted this was an unusual preseason, and he was still trying to learn his new teammates.
“Just being young and full of energy,” he said when asked what made his current team unique. “I’ve said time and time again I love being around this group. These guys are so young and so energetic. They love to have fun. When you boil it all down, we’re nothing but big kids. We have fun in the locker room. We’re serious on the field, but we like to have fun also. It just feels good.”

Asked if he had a rapport with Alex Smith, he shook off the question.

“No, . . . I don’t think any receiver really feels that they’re where they want to be going into the season,” he said. “The only thing that I can really hang my hat on is, we’ve put enough work in to go into Week 1. That’s all I can really say. I look forward to going out here on Sunday in a historical field such as Lambeau and all the history they have. Like I said, I’m ready for the challenge.”

Given that Moss has barely said a word since joining the 49ers, the challenge is as great for the reporters covering him as the defensive backs attempting same.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
34 Responses to “Randy Moss surprises reporters by stopping to talk”
  1. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 5, 2012 8:50 PM

Such an attention……..I’m glad his era of diva WRs are phasing away from football and here’s too hoping Calvin Johnson shatters all of his and Owens records.

2. straighcashhomie84 says: Sep 5, 2012 8:57 PM

Moss dis miss dat miss dis moss dat!

3. steviemo says: Sep 5, 2012 9:06 PM

Randy Moss = Loserville.

4. golfnutt67 says: Sep 5, 2012 9:07 PM

I believe Randy is going to be a pleasant surprise story in the NFL this year. It sure seems that he has a great attitude and wants to end his career on his term. Good luck bro!

5. fdugrad says: Sep 5, 2012 9:24 PM

“Stopping to talk.” Why is it again that ANYBODY cares?

6. larrybrown43 says: Sep 5, 2012 9:30 PM

Once he stopped to talk, the reporters should’ve kept right on walking.

7. redgonewild says: Sep 5, 2012 9:31 PM

Randy Moss = GOAT

8. 1buckeye76 says: Sep 5, 2012 9:33 PM

I hope Randy gets a ring before his career is over… One of the all time greats.

9. goldrush36 says: Sep 5, 2012 9:37 PM

3rd article on Moss today. Boy he has you guys giddy lol

10. wherezwaldo says: Sep 5, 2012 9:38 PM

STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE!!!

11. bushidobrown1 says: Sep 5, 2012 9:41 PM

ever notice how his current and former teammates only have good things to say about him.
    something to be said when T.O. is out, Chad is out, and Randy is playing on one of the best teams in the league.

12. patswillreign says: Sep 5, 2012 9:41 PM

MOSS = BOSS!!!

13. jgrange says: Sep 5, 2012 10:02 PM

Randy Moss is usually engaging and honest when conducting interviews so he’s worth the listen most of the time. I was mad at his effort in Oakland for many years but I’ve come to terms with that and would like to see Randy light it up again.

14. surferbum01 says: Sep 5, 2012 10:14 PM

Reporter: “Hey, Randy, how did you pay for the ticket?!”

Moss: “Straight cash, homey!.”

I don’t care…..that’s one of the best lines ever!

#ballsohard49ers

15. davikes says: Sep 5, 2012 10:20 PM

Moss’ first pro game was against the Pack in week 5 of ’98. 5 catches, 190 yards, 2 tds. He won’t light them up that bad this time, but he is motivated, he plays better in big games, and the Packers secondary isn’t that good. The Niners will have to throw it to stay in it. I’ll bet Moss ends up with 80-100 yards, 1 or 2 tds.

Flame away packers fans.

16. timjj says: Sep 5, 2012 10:22 PM

I am a Packer fan…but I look forward to seeing him play. He is one of the best all time. Did I hate him when he kicked our butts when he was in Minny…YES…but he still is one of the best.

17. niners816 says: Sep 5, 2012 10:23 PM

Randy Moss is easily one of the top 5 best receivers of all time. Hopefully some receivers can feed off of working with a vet, and hopefully he can contribute a lot this season. Go Niners!!

18. cheesewizer says: Sep 5, 2012 10:59 PM

Moss will tear it up this weekend. No moon – just scoring on a go route.

19. pterodonktyl says: Sep 5, 2012 11:09 PM

im a green bay fan, plenty of reason to hate moss, and i gotta say this is one of the smartest interviews he’s ever given. odd that he denies a rapport with smith but just shows you how honest he is at this spot in his career. no time for diva BS at this stage, that’s where TO and ocho blew it.

20. pterodonktyl says: Sep 5, 2012 11:15 PM

also funny that he thinks he’s played at lambeau 15 times. he’s only played the packers 14 times, so probably 7 visits to lambeau, randy. no one ever said you were a scholar.

21. scalfor3 says: Sep 5, 2012 11:36 PM

not so sure he’s gonna have a lot of yards or catches, but i think he’s good for 8-12 TDs this year. throwing him the jump ball in the red zone is still a high percentage play

22. goldrush36 says: Sep 6, 2012 12:10 AM

Hard to believe anything that comes out of 49ers interviews. Reporters from camps said Alex and Randy have solid chemistry. Alex and Randy say there’s a ton of work to be done while heaping praise upon Crabtree. It’s possible it’s true but it’s even more possible they are gonna try to catch the pack sleeping. Wouldn’t be shocked if they take the shot within the first 3 offensive plays. This should be one hell of a game. Hard to think one of them will be 0-1 right off the bat

23. redandgoldhitman52 says: Sep 6, 2012 12:22 AM

if moss wins a ring this year… he’ll sign a 2 year extension and win 2 more rings to 3 peat. he’ll retire as a 49er.

24. bigbaldpapahawk says: Sep 6, 2012 12:38 AM

How do people seem to forget that he still has Alex Smith throwing the ball to him? Just like Fitzgerald, he won’t be able to make a champion out of a mediocre QB.

25. mikesmajormojo says: Sep 6, 2012 12:43 AM

I hope this version of Moss sticks around all season. I’d love to see him succeed and have the last laugh at the media’s expense.

26. veence69 says: Sep 6, 2012 1:38 AM

Yeah, sleep on Randy Moss. Come back when he DOMINATES the Packers on Sunday.

27. mjkelly77 says: Sep 6, 2012 1:46 AM

Oh oh. Bad sign. He must be scared. First big hit and he’ll go into hiding. Hairbough’s head is going to explode.

28. warhawk12 says: Sep 6, 2012 2:47 AM

I have always marveled at his skill set, (I was more in the Largent mold in high school), I’m a fan of the player. That said, Sherman and Browner won’t even let him off the line of scrimmage. Can’t beat father time.

29. drekomp says: Sep 6, 2012 2:49 AM

R for Randetta.

30. CKL says: Sep 6, 2012 4:37 AM

Call Moss what you will, but he’s NOT a diva. Divas love public attention and try to court it, he hates it. He’s a different dude. Not sure I’ll ever figure him out.

31. jbniner says: Sep 6, 2012 6:40 AM

Why do you guys have such a hard-on for Randy and what he is or isn’t doing at every waking moment of his day?

32. cylondetector says: Sep 6, 2012 6:54 AM

Patriots fan here.

Wish Moss all the best in San Fran – he’s a great, if complex character (what people lazilly like to call diva behavior).

I reckon he still has plenty left physically – he is a true freak – but when his mind vacates the building its game over.

33. stephenolszewski says: Sep 6, 2012 10:39 AM

I hope Moss gets a ring by the time his career is over it’s just too bad that he has a average Quarterback throwing him the ball.

34. bubba9er says: Sep 6, 2012 2:46 PM

I still think that the only thing that Randy can do for this team is to help them. If you think about it, Trent Baalke and Jim are not afraid to cut someone that doesn’t fit well (see Braylon last year). If he checks out or quits playing hard, he is not a big cash liability. He will be cut. This is a no-lose situation for the 49ers. He will either help or be released.