Teammates think Jason Pierre-Paul could get 30 sacks

Jason Pierre-Paul, Mark Sanchez AP

Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul said earlier this summer he was about halfway to where he could be.

And since he had 16.5 sacks last year, his teammates are willing to do some quick math.

Asked how good Pierre-Paul could be, teammate Mathias Kiwanuka had a question of his own.

A 30-sack guy?” he asked, via Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star-Ledger. “He could be. Absolutely. He definitely has the potential to be one of the best ever.

“There’s so much that goes into it that’s out of his control so you don’t want to jinx him or anything like that, but if the kid keeps working and God’s on his side and he stays healthy, we expect to see great things out of him.”

Keeping what approaches a two-per-game pace seems like a stretch for anyone, but JPP has been stretching expectations.

There were concerns among scouts he was a workout wonder, what with his pre-draft back-flipping video. But he’s turned that talent into production, while surrounded with guys who are pretty good at it as well.

When he was finally able to take the field alongside Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck in the regular season finale last year, they sacked Tony Romo six times.

“These three D-ends are probably top 10 in the National Football League,” said former Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce said. “One might be No. 1 or 2. I think JPP is on that mission to be one of the best defensive ends in the game. It’s always been known as a linebacker city, now it’s turned into a defensive end city.”

While the physical talent is the reason most people cite when making ridiculous statisical predictions, Pierre-Paul has continued to work to improve.

“This is only my third year, man,” Pierre-Paul said. “How cool is that? And I’m only 23 years old. I’m just getting better. Who knows by the time I’m 25, 26?”

If he gets better, Michael Strahan’s record of 22.5 sacks could be in danger, even if he never gets all the way to 30.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Teammates think Jason Pierre-Paul could get 30 sacks”
  1. spellingcops says: Sep 5, 2012 8:12 AM

The Giant’s pass rush pisses me off. Out of jealousy.

2. The Commish says: Sep 5, 2012 8:13 AM

Well, if anyone is going to do it … he’s definitely the guy.

3. eaglesw00t says: Sep 5, 2012 8:26 AM

Oh man, am I happy that the Eagles picked Brandon Graham over JPP. Hes just a raw talent player. It might take him years to ever really amount to a solid pass rusher. Graham is the safe pick.

Yes, that was sarcasm, for those who will inevitibly miss it…

4. dtrb10 says: Sep 5, 2012 8:33 AM

Give Jared Allen the rest of his linemates and he would get 40.

5. braunliesandcheats says: Sep 5, 2012 8:35 AM

Strahan’s record is a farce! The best DE ever is Reggie White!

6. tmac4454 says: Sep 5, 2012 8:39 AM

The Beast will be out tonight. Can’t wait to see the look on Jenny Jones face in the 4th quarter.

7. 69finfan says: Sep 5, 2012 8:56 AM

Not a Giants fan by any stretch of the imagination (however I do envy and respect them) but I am definately a fan of JPP as he played for and graduated from my Alma Matter, the USF Bulls. Ball up JPP.

8. bmorelikeme says: Sep 5, 2012 9:02 AM

Yeah right, and Chris Johnson could probably break 4 seconds in the forty.

9. shinywalrus says: Sep 5, 2012 9:02 AM

Hopefully JPP takes the opportunity tonight to watch and learn from the only guy in the NFL who is probably better at his chosen craft: Demarcus Ware.

10. homelanddefense says: Sep 5, 2012 9:10 AM

I was one of the people who laughed when it seemed like the Giants picked a DE in the first round every year. Boy was I wrong…..they can flat out get after the QB, and in a passing league that is worth its weight in gold.

11. broncosnative says: Sep 5, 2012 9:43 AM

Boy don’t you just like it when teams exaggerate? First it was rushing for 2500 yards, then passing for 6000 yards, now its 30 sacks. What’s next, catching 300 passes for 3500 yards, 30 INTs, 40 rushing TDs, 60 passing TDs, 100 field goals, or 25 PR/KR TDs. Only in madden can you get these types of numbers or higher

12. newyorkgiants11 says: Sep 5, 2012 9:47 AM

Dear Shiny,

Wrong. He practices every day and learns from two of the best. Athletically, the guy is a freak!

13. vickinabox says: Sep 5, 2012 10:20 AM

JPP can play, but talk of the greatest ever is best left to competent commentators as opposed to biased linebackers. JPP is great no doubt about it – but 30 sacks? I don’t think so. Great player – I’d love to have him on my team!

14. sunlion333 says: Sep 5, 2012 10:48 AM

16.5 sacks, 112 yards lost on sacks, 86 tackles, 65 solo, 2 forced fumbles, 7 passes defensed, 8 stuffs and 1 very crucial blocked field goal. This is a DE people. That position does not put up all around numbers like that and he chases players downfield and catches them, preventing touchdowns. Those numbers are unreal for a 2nd year player and he’s still learning the game. Gained muscle mass over the off season and is now 6’5 280+ lbs and lost no speed. Insane wingspan and has Tuck and Osi to learn from. Mock him if you want, but you do not want to face him. I would take him over any defensive player in the league.

15. bigbluelou says: Sep 5, 2012 10:59 AM

Keep your eyes out for hopefully the next great pass rusher for the Jints = Adewale Ojomo!

16. professorcolumbus says: Sep 5, 2012 11:05 AM

Another USF alum here. I remember ridiculing some pundits who suggested JPP could go as high as #3 overall to the Bucs. Even though I loved JPP’s potential, McCoy was the “no-brainer” and I was glad we went that direction at the time. Holy crap do I feel dumb.

17. Grulks says: Sep 5, 2012 11:15 AM

shinywalrus said:

============

Well, Dware and JPP really don’t have the same craft, being that Dware plays linebacker, and JPP is a DE. So your statement is pretty irrelevant.

Just because the two share some of the same types of play (rushing the QB, run containment, etc) does not make them interchangeable. DWare (as far as I know) has never lined up with his hand on the ground. JPP has. If you don’t understand how much of a difference that makes, or why it is relevant, I’d suggest you read up on the difference between a DE in a 4-3 base, and OLB in 3-4 base.

As a Dallas fan, I have no problems admitting that JPP is an amazing, if not one of the best currently playing, DE. But anyone knowing the difference between a DE and a LB, knows that DE’s typically have high sack numbers by nature of the position.

The fact that Dware, playing LB, has numbers as outrageous as they are, WITHOUT any significant help on Dallas’ DLine, speaks volumes about how good he is.

But none of that matters, because its like comparing a TE to a RB, and saying which player is better.

18. austinoxford says: Sep 5, 2012 11:29 AM

In related news: my mom thinks I should be dating Brooklyn Decker.

19. justintuckrule says: Sep 5, 2012 1:47 PM

If you think about it, 30 sacks isn’t as impossible as it sounds. Teams pass the ball way more now and running is almost extinct. Just last year, the Jets…again….that’s the Jets…..threw 60 times against the Giants. If teams pass an average of 40x per game (not unrealistic), I can see a stellar DE getting to a QB twice out of 40x. One who does so hits 30 sacks. I can easily see 25 sacks becoming the new 20.

20. bluebongzilla says: Sep 5, 2012 5:04 PM

Why stop at 30? He could get 50! And maybe he’ll sprout wings and fly over a rainbow too!

“If teams pass an average of 40x per game (not unrealistic), I can see a stellar DE getting to a QB twice out of 40x.”

Hm. Maaaaaybe. Then again, the Giants defended against 589 pass attempts last season and JPP ended up with 16.5 sacks, which means that he got one sack for every 35 passing plays… or an average of a little over 1 per game, obviously. He can probably do better, but he’s not getting 30 sacks and I would be really surprised if he gets 20.

21. thetokyosandblaster says: Sep 5, 2012 11:30 PM

After one game, he’s almost there! Only 30 more to go!!