We usually wait for the Friday injury reports to pass along word about the status of injured players, but since we’ve been waiting seven months for this week of games, we decided to do one on the Wednesday injury reports.
We’ve covered most of the big injury news in the rumor mill already on Wednesday, but these are all notes worth passing along without having enough meat for full posts.
2. Browns running back Trent Richardson (knee) was listed as limited in practice Wednesday, but said, via Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal, he’ll only miss the game if coach Pat Shurmur decides that he isn’t ready to play. Shurmur’s made no indication that he’s leaning that way so we’re still expecting to see Richardson on the field.
3. Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart (ankle) was also limited and spent some of the practice running on a treadmill in a pool. Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer reports coach Ron Rivera declared himself optimistic about Stewart’s chances of playing. The next two days will tell the story. No need to wait that long on wide receiver Steve Smith (foot), who had a full practice Wednesday.
5. Colts wide receiver Austin Collie (concussion) practiced fully and remains on track to play in the season opener.
7. Mendenhall wasn’t the only Steelers running back to fully participate in practice. Isaac Redman’s ankle injury has improved enough for him to get back on the field and give the Steelers more options than they might have imagined in the backfield. Linebacker James Harrison (knee) was limited.
11. Jaguars rookie wide receiver Justin Blackmon was a limited participant because of an ankle injury, although there hasn’t been much concern out of Jacksonville that he could miss the game.
12. The Chiefs listed cornerback Brandon Flowers (heel) and linebacker Derrick Johnson (ankle), but Adam Teicher of Kansas City Star thinks both men will play on Sunday based on how they looked at practice.
13. The Lions were without cornerback Chris Houston (ankle) and safety Louis Delmas (knee) once again on Wednesday. The chances of Delmas playing seem very remote since he hasn’t practiced in more than a month.
15. Saints wide receiver Marques Colston missed practice with a foot injury. Interim coach Aaron Kromer said that Colston and everyone else on the injury report, including cornerback Jabari Greer and linebacker Curtis Lofton, should play.
16. The 49ers haven’t released an official injury report yet, but Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that wide receiver Ted Ginn (ankle) and running back Brandon Jacobs (knee) weren’t in uniform for the session while doing rehab work on the side.