Adrian Peterson: I’m ready to play

Adrian Peterson AP

Running back Adrian Peterson’s left knee continues to be the focus of attention in Minnesota.

Peterson has cleared every test the Vikings have put before him without setbacks, Wednesday’s return to unlimited contact was the latest, and that’s left him feeling pretty confident about his fitness for action on Sunday against the Jaguars.

“I’m ready to play,” Peterson said, via Tom Pelissero of ESPN1500.com. “If that’s 10 snaps, five, 25, 30, I’m ready to roll. That’s my mindset and how I’m feeling about it. So, I’m just going to keep my mindset pointed in that direction.”

Peterson acknowledges that the decision isn’t his to make alone, although it sounds like he’s convincing some of the guys who will be making the call. Offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave said he has “not too much doubt” that Peterson will be ready to play against Jacksonville and that the team already has a set number of plays in mind for the tailback.

It seems that the Vikings have learned everything about Peterson that they are going to learn without putting him into a game. It’s feeling more and more like they’ll get some idea about that come Sunday.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Adrian Peterson: I’m ready to play”
  1. rexranius says: Sep 6, 2012 3:05 PM

Already in my starting lineup. Feeling better about it.

2. jjrs89 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:06 PM

You gotta believe in AP with that fabulous work ethic he has. No doubts

3. slumdog66 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:08 PM

Megatron, let me introduce you to the Terminator. He is not human.

4. tshirttom says: Sep 6, 2012 3:13 PM

He’ll be a last second decision on my fantasy team.

5. canadianvikingfaniii says: Sep 6, 2012 3:13 PM

I can’t wait to see AP play, be it this week, week after or whenever! Favorite Viking of all time, he just goes out and plays the game it was meant to be played.

6. jmagnet28 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:22 PM

Just be careful sluggo.

The game is so much better with you at full strength.

7. jjrs89 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:28 PM

PURPLE JESUS

8. flvikesfan says: Sep 6, 2012 3:30 PM

Hope he gets a standing O from everyone at the game when he steps on the field for his first snap!! Can’t think of another athlete who deserves it more than AP. Would love to see him break off a big run as payback for all of his hard work.

9. cpo187 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:36 PM

Fantasy wise- I wish they would say the number of snaps he is going to play.

As a Vikings fan- Smart not to give anything away and hope he looks normal. Would love to have the same AP back on the field for the long haul.

10. nyyjetsknicks says: Sep 6, 2012 3:38 PM

Didn’t the Vikings coaching staff say he’ll be limited? He’s an absolute freak of nature, but they need to be smart, too.

11. jimmysee says: Sep 6, 2012 3:38 PM

We like a man with a plan.

Give ‘em hell, Adrian!

12. pappavike says: Sep 6, 2012 3:48 PM

He’ll only see a few snaps! Maybe a screen or somthing out in the flat! but would be suprised if the run him up the middle, (with everyone hiting him low!)

13. cwilliams135 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:48 PM

I hope he is the starter. Even if Toby has to come in the next play.

14. 2ruefan says: Sep 6, 2012 4:09 PM

Gonna make a guess here..
    He is going to be limited to a set number of snaps
    I expect Gerhardt to take the majority

I hope they don’t rush him. I remember Jerry Rice messing up his Knee after he came back so soon.

15. maddenisfordorks says: Sep 6, 2012 4:11 PM

Jag fan here –

I’m pulling for AP. Coming back like this is remarkable.

I’d still love a win for my Jags this Sunday – but the NFL is better with this cat at full speed. Hope he really is ready.

16. bolts11 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:13 PM

Hi youth makes him think he’s invincible. Should really heal properly before resuming play so soon.

The team will discard him as soon as he is not useful…

17. peytonsneck18 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:21 PM

If i had him in FF i wouldnt play him til next week…..

18. teamnorsecore says: Sep 6, 2012 4:26 PM

Wow……15 posts and no negative, hating Packer fan comments, wishing ill will on Peterson! Well, this particular blog is still young…..there will be pleanty to come!

19. thepvyharvin says: Sep 6, 2012 4:27 PM

I predict not only does he make some good runs Sunday,,he’s going to TRUCK a Jaguar to show us he is ready!

20. footballfan84 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:31 PM

Probably the best running back I’ve seen since Barry Sanders. I’m pullin for ya AP, show em’ how it’s done.

21. rungame8732 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:35 PM

AP

22. JackLeone says: Sep 6, 2012 4:37 PM

Everybody is ready to play. It’s football season. Since the Vikings play the Jags, they may be cautious and sit him. Toby can run this one. Get AP ready for next week. Don’t risk it.

23. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Sep 6, 2012 4:38 PM

Play me maybe?

24. sfsaintsfan says: Sep 6, 2012 4:51 PM

Will he stay in the game long enough to fumble?

Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

Actually, he is a remarkable football player and it is incredible that he is coming back from an ACL injury this quickly. Hope he has a good first outing back and can come back at full strength. Maybe the Vikings can hang a loss on the Packers, Bears or Lions this year? Who knows.

25. gojags says: Sep 6, 2012 4:51 PM

Not a good thing. Wish him get game ready on Week#2.

26. dumptrucked says: Sep 6, 2012 4:56 PM

@madden is for dorks… rice was an idiot and came back in three months. AD has had 9 months. In addition to that, modern medical procedures are so slick and non invasive so recovery is much faster and more successful. At this point either he is healthy enough to play or he isn’t… Give him the full load or none..

27. flyiton says: Sep 6, 2012 4:59 PM

Thank god their not playing the Saints of two years ago his knee would be target 1

28. gdeli says: Sep 6, 2012 5:02 PM

Why are vikes fans getting so controlling about when adrian plays? It’s not like the vikes are gonna win a superbowl. They talk like this week is the runup to the suberbowl..will he? won’t he? I wanna see him to but get real diehard fans. They may loose sunday’s game and the shy will be falling. Nothing else to talk about i guess.

29. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Sep 6, 2012 5:02 PM

The NFL is dumb for not taking players like AP and “forcing” them to good teams. Same with Steven Jackson. Put these guys on well run teams and you’ll get good ratings. THE RUN AINT DEAD! AP should be strongly considered for MVP year in and year out and isn’t.. Sad story man.

30. dublindemonszfl says: Sep 6, 2012 5:07 PM

A beast can only be caged for so long before it naws its way out. Release the beast!

31. purpwalk says: Sep 6, 2012 5:12 PM

won’t be AD, but hope he plays some to reach his goal and as a reward

32. vikefan284296 says: Sep 6, 2012 5:18 PM

Go AD!

33. exibitsman says: Sep 6, 2012 5:24 PM

It takes 12 months to recuperate from
    His injuries it’s only been about 6 or 7 months he needs to listen to the doctors and
    Trainer’s. The vikings should not let him play
    Until game 8or 10.

34. acovey10 says: Sep 6, 2012 5:35 PM

Haha I really like the guy he is an amazing running back, but just cause he is ready doesn’t mean he couldn’t get tackled wrong the first play and boom goes the ACL, I like to stay away from accident prone players, I came in second to last in my fantasy league last year cause I got absolutely screwed on injuries!

35. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Sep 6, 2012 5:39 PM

andrejohnsonforpresident says:Sep 6, 2012 5:02 PM

________

Great plan. Take all the best players in the league and put them on a few teams. Then 75% of the teams can die and everything will be so great! This from a guy who thinks Andre Johnson would make a good president.

36. contra74 says: Sep 6, 2012 5:46 PM

andrejohnsonforpresident says:Sep 6, 2012 5:02 PM

—-
    Oh, you want rigged games do you!? Then go watch the WWE and boxing (pacquiao/bradley)

37. prmpft says: Sep 6, 2012 6:31 PM

bad idea – i am not saying i hope it happens, i’m just saying i want to be at the top of the “i told you so” list when it does.

38. coreyn23 says: Sep 6, 2012 6:38 PM

You Do realize he has only fumbled ONE time in each to the last 2 seasons?

39. leatherface2012 says: Sep 6, 2012 9:07 PM

class guy, unbelievably hard worker……anyone cheap shots him, his offensive lineman should take the guy out

40. jturbo1402003 says: Sep 6, 2012 10:49 PM

Id play it safe w AP and force him to sit this and bout 3 more games out. I loved watchibg him since college and he always recovered early but NFL is big contact fir 16 games. U have to protect the player first as he is long term star and,that meams protect him from himself. Limiting the number of plays is good but stuff could happen on any play. Also once u give him the ball once he is gonna wanna stay in. Gonna have to take his helmet from him on the sideline.

41. dtrb10 says: Sep 6, 2012 11:41 PM

I feel sorry for the poor SOB gonna stand in this guys way!

42. zygizag says: Sep 6, 2012 11:50 PM

I would wait until the second half of the game. Let Toney wear them down a bit. After the half if the game is tied or the VIKES are up or down by 7 or less play him. If they are up or down by more than 24 let him sit.

43. holdsteady76 says: Sep 7, 2012 7:55 AM

The little 2 inch version of Adrian pictured in this article has more muscles than I do. Unreal the condition he is in, get him on the field!

Give him 5-10 carries this week and then slowly increase his load each week, by week 4 or 5 he should be getting close a full load.

Way to go AD – best of luck to him, a true class act and professional.

44. ltrey33 says: Sep 7, 2012 10:35 AM

I think it would do a lot for AP’s confidence if they suited him up this Sunday.

Even if he doesn’t play very much, to set the goal of returning week 1 and actually achieving that goal would do a lot to improve his mindset coming off the injury.