Austin Collie: No definite timetable for return

Austin Collie, Kevin Rutland AP

Earlier this week, Colts coach Chuck Pagano said that wide receiver Austin Collie, recovering from his fourth concussion in less than two years, was “full go” in practice and that his chances of playing against the Bears looked good.

Collie’s continued to practice and Pagano said Wednesday that nothing had changed in terms of getting Collie on the field. Collie met with the media on Thursday and sounded a bit less confident that he’s going to be in the lineup on Sunday. He said there wasn’t a “definite timetable” for his return and referred to himself as “day-to-day” when asked about the likelihood of playing.

“Like I said, it’s day-to-day. It’s up to the doctors. It’s up to the coaches. Whatever the doctors say, whatever the coaches say, I’m going to obey. I’m going to do as they say,” Collie said in comments distributed by the team. “I’m really not focused about that right now. I’m not focused about Sunday or what’s going to happen. What I’m focused on now is just getting better today.”

Unless Pagano is trying to engage in some gamesmanship with the Bears about preparing for Collie’s presence, his opinion on the matter seems pretty clear. That would leave the doctors, who may need to still sign off on Collie, who has switched helmets after the latest concussion, graduating from the practice field to the active roster on Sunday.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Austin Collie: No definite timetable for return”
  1. peytonsneck18 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:15 PM

Collie wont play….its gamesmanship with the Bears, same thing that steelers are doing about mendenhall and vikings with AP

2. buchopeful says: Sep 6, 2012 4:20 PM

Be safe, don’t risk your future health…listen to the Docs.

3. trevor123698 says: Sep 6, 2012 5:01 PM

I wouldnt listen to the doctors myself (for having listened to “Dead Doctors Dont lie” by Dr Joel Wallach) but if i was having concussions like this I may walk away.

4. rollerino1 says: Sep 6, 2012 8:53 PM

Please retire.

5. preventoffense says: Sep 6, 2012 10:13 PM

Only Collie and his doctors know the implications of him continuing to play. The confusing thing is the Colts tying up a roster spot for a player that might now play, or is seemingly likely to be knocked out (no pun intended) of a few games when they have pretty deep talent at WR even if most are unproven. I hope they think Collie is an awesome talent or this seems flawed.

6. 19nown4ever says: Sep 7, 2012 7:30 AM

Deep talent at WR? Beyond Wayne, what do they have. The receiving corps is pretty much untested rookies and oft-injured vets. I put Collie in the oft-injured vet category. I hope he can play and shine but I have my doubts.

7. tonyromoisterrible says: Sep 7, 2012 9:05 PM

The colts o-line is so bad Luck won’t be able to throw from his back.