NFL outdraws DNC on television

US - VOTE - 2012 - DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION Getty Images

It might not have been the best game, particularly the best first half, but it was still deemed more popular than the Democratic National Convention.

Last night’s Cowboys-Giants game on NBC drew an audience of roughly 23.9 million people, according to early Nielsen ratings reported by Politico.com.

On five other other broadcast and cable networks, former President Bill Clinton was talking, and as popular as he might be, he can’t touch the NFL.

From 10 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., roughly 20 million people watched his speech, which was carried on ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC and Fox.

This is not to say we’re looking for political nonsense in the comments. We’re not. Just pointing out that football won last night by a significant margin, if not a landslide.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
51 Responses to “NFL outdraws DNC on television”
  1. daysend564 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:50 PM

Like it was even a competition.

I got sick of what they did play during half time.

2. catquick says: Sep 6, 2012 3:52 PM

Football is fun

3. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 6, 2012 3:53 PM

It wouldn’t have if President Obama spoke. Thus why the NFL pushed it’s game back one day.

4. rcali says: Sep 6, 2012 3:55 PM

Guess what other speech I won’t be watching tonight. There is college football on tonight!

5. mjkelly77 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:55 PM

I think this speaks more to the intellectual level and lack of perspicacity of the average NFL fan.

6. illadelphiasphinest says: Sep 6, 2012 3:55 PM

Obviously. Nobody cares about politics except for the rich and who will give them the biggest tax reduction. Went it all boils down, your “vote” does not count. And who is the lesser of two evils.

7. Davo says: Sep 6, 2012 3:56 PM

We’ve been without competitive Football since February.

We’ve been bombarded non-stop with political rhetoric non-stop all summer long.

No competition, really.

8. binkystevens says: Sep 6, 2012 3:57 PM

Maybe it’s just an indictment on political nonsense in general, regardless of party

9. deltaoracle says: Sep 6, 2012 3:59 PM

Well, predicting that one would’ve been the easiest call of the year. The crowd has always wanted the gladiators more than speeches from the politicians.

10. supremekingz says: Sep 6, 2012 3:59 PM

I bet the NFL won’t outdraw the season premiere of Walking Dead this year on Sunday night, lol. Or it will at least be close

11. jimnaizeeum says: Sep 6, 2012 4:00 PM

It could have been Cleveland vs Jacksonville & the NFL still would have out drawn the DNC

12. thepragmaticcowboy says: Sep 6, 2012 4:02 PM

I’m a Cowboy fan, but I would vote for Tom Coughlin over either of the two guys they’ve got propped up in front of us.

13. ahostiletakeover says: Sep 6, 2012 4:03 PM

I hate both parties, but maybe the Dems would have been wise to plan the DNC like the Republicans did BEFORE the regular season started. I don’t know how the political jockeying goes in regards to such a situation though, did Romney an Co. call “dibs” on going first or is there some “rule” saying they couldn’t have had it already as to not compete with something that will always trump it in viewers?

14. pantherpro says: Sep 6, 2012 4:08 PM

At least he didn’t lose to Honey Boo Bear like the pathetic Romney and evil Ryan did. Not that’s pathetic. I’ll give the average jarhead who picks NFL over Clinton a pass. Most of the 20 million are sorry Cowboy fans. (AKA Texas morons)

Honey Boo

15. turkish124 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:08 PM

This shouldn’t be a point of pride for anyone. That said, I didn’t watch the game live and watched Clinton later online.

16. donterrelli says: Sep 6, 2012 4:09 PM

I even changed the channel at halftime so I didn’t have to watch the coverage.

17. nineroutsider says: Sep 6, 2012 4:09 PM

You’re kidding me; bread and circus beat out politics in America? Who saw that coming?

Not that politics would beat out bread and circus under any circumstances, but those conventions are useless pep rallies and have little impact on our political system except to herd the sheep on both sides. Anyone with half a brain shouldn’t be able to stomach either convention, so its an easy choice.

18. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:14 PM

Let’s make sure college football does the same tonight. What little I have watched of it has been embarrassing to humanity.

19. schmitty2 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:14 PM

mjkelly77 says:Sep 6, 2012 3:55 PM

Said the guy on an NFL blog

20. garyman1 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:18 PM

That’s EXACTLY why this game was moved up to Wednesday…. the President speaks tonight and the game would have outdrawn him too.

21. verytalldad says: Sep 6, 2012 4:19 PM

3 million more is a landslide? it seems close to me. and west coast watched the speech after the game.

22. laeaglefan says: Sep 6, 2012 4:19 PM

I don’t think it comes as any shock that NFL football is more interesting to watch than a political speech.

23. joshstanley78 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:20 PM

Hooray Football! BOO Politicians. I hate republicans and democrats equally.

24. ken0west says: Sep 6, 2012 4:20 PM

The NFL can out draw anything, I don’t think what it did outdraw is relevant.

25. harbor6261 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:25 PM

26. auroraborealisfan says: Sep 6, 2012 4:26 PM

We can only hope numbers like these will force the politicos to decide that it isn’t worth the time and money to continue with these over blown pep rallies. Especially since it’s tax payer money paying for it. What a waste.

27. j98me2 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:27 PM

It was just a pep rally and Bill Clinton makes an ugly cheerleader.

28. kiopta1 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:28 PM

This was obvious. I mean who wouldn’t rather watch football over taking part in our democracy and playing a role in its future. I watched the game on my iPad and watch both RNC and DNC on my tv.

29. dowhatifeellike says: Sep 6, 2012 4:28 PM

I watched the game but I also follow politics so I’ll look up the speeches this weekend. It’s much easier to watch the speeches later than to watch a game later.

30. kiopta1 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:30 PM

I love how so many here cheer on the ignorance and laziness of the public. Way to go.

31. sterling7 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:30 PM

Politics vs. Football-no contest!

32. c1ramfan says: Sep 6, 2012 4:36 PM

We’ve been waiting for NFL for 7 months. You can always record or get the rundown on speeches. Sports is always best live; you never know what will happen.

33. santolonius says: Sep 6, 2012 4:45 PM

i watched football but dvred bubba.

34. robf2010 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:48 PM

The deciding game of a Yankees playoff series was outdrawn by two winless teams playing on MNF some years ago. The DNC had ZERO chance.

35. bunjy96 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:55 PM

“harbor6261 says: Sep 6, 2012 4:25 PM

I turned over to what the speeches at half. Although I love football – there is plenty of football on this year and for the next 4 years. I for one felt it is important to be educated in my decision for the country going forward in a couple months.”

========
    Educated?
    You already know what’s coming. 4 more years of trillion dollar deficits if you buy what they were selling Wednesday nite from a former president who disgraced the office.. Or did you forget Monica?

36. verytalldad says: Sep 6, 2012 5:02 PM

I can think of one thing less interesting than a convention speech, peoples political opinions in comments sections of sports websites.

37. meekdog78 says: Sep 6, 2012 5:20 PM

Let’s be realistic. The only people that watch the conventions are people from that party which cuts the potential audience in half. Then add in a spattering of people from the other end of the spectrum that are looking for reasons to exploit what that party said. Now subtract the people that figure they’ll get the blow by blow of the convention on CNN later, watch the speech on YouTube or read it in the paper. It’s more interesting to watch football live and then catch up on the politics later. In surprised it was as close as it was in the ratings. The opening football game vs. an introductory speaker? Not even a contest.

38. jmc000 says: Sep 6, 2012 5:48 PM

just fyi alot of people watch the political stuff on cnn, msnbc, fox news, etc.

39. bsizemore68 says: Sep 6, 2012 6:10 PM

The schedule for both the republicans’ and democrat’s are made a few years in advance, and the NFL makes there season schedule the same year as the games are play except the post season, the league would have done the same if the republicans were on schedule this year for tonight, like it or not about 51% of the voters will pick one or the other, the league don’t want to piss off either one, end of story. Did I mention that Scabs are a cancer on the league? Bill p.s. the Dolphins are going to tear up the league this year, relax, just kidding, enjoy supper.

40. rayguyreturns says: Sep 6, 2012 6:12 PM

Let’s see:
    Live football vs. Lying politicians. What to watch..
    Hummmm

41. bubba278 says: Sep 6, 2012 6:49 PM

If you include PBS the dnc had better ratings according to the Washington post

42. mrlaloosh says: Sep 6, 2012 6:54 PM

Football over politics? I’m flabbergasted!

43. armorgan67 says: Sep 6, 2012 7:00 PM

No one and I mean no one should be surprised by this. The NFL has been the top dog for over 40 years and when you pit 2 popular franchises against each other in prime time you will outdraw everything. The NFL rules. Like many have said you can dvr or watch speeches at a later time, with Football and basically all other sports watching it live is much better than watching it after the fact.

44. mybrunoblog says: Sep 6, 2012 7:03 PM

I grew sick of watching or listening to Bill Clinton in like 1998. I’d watch old Brian Bosworth highlight reels before I spent 5 minutes on anything Clinton. Football is back!

45. a125125125 says: Sep 6, 2012 9:33 PM

This story was updated on Politico. More people watched the DNC.

46. jwreck says: Sep 6, 2012 9:58 PM

mjkelly77 says: Sep 6, 2012 3:55 PM

_______
    I think your comment speaks more to your ostentatious egocentism than to the intelligence of anybody in America. catquick said it perfectly without any of your pretentious grandiloquence: “Football is fun.” A national convention, or really any program simulcast on PBS and C-SPAN, is the opposite of fun.

On top of that, you used the word perspicacity wrong. Perspicacity applies to solving puzzles or applying logic to situations. the phrase you were looking for was “lack of intellectual fervor”.

Served.

47. abninf says: Sep 6, 2012 10:19 PM

More people wanted to watch football than listen to rich people complain about rich people? Shocking.

48. cowartsh says: Sep 6, 2012 10:45 PM

@kiopta1
    ignorance? laziness? I beg to differ. I, like many people, would rather not sit around and listen to people blow smoke up my ass. If you feel the need to be “informed” of the grand plans that the democrats have for you then enjoy but dont call people ignorant and lazy.

49. thatyankeedude says: Sep 7, 2012 12:23 AM

If you would rather watch politics than football, you are not an American

50. bluebongzilla says: Sep 7, 2012 12:48 AM

“Thats like trying to find relevance in the fact that a Ann Romney speech cant outdraw Honey Boo Boo on You Tube.”

For what it’s worth, CNN’s live Bill Clinton speech can’t draw better ratings than “Honey Boo Boo” either, according to hollywoodreporter.

51. iamcaveman says: Sep 7, 2012 11:03 AM

*UPDATE (6:09 p.m.): According to the final Nielsen ratings, which include PBS and Current TV, a grand total of 25.1 million viewers watched the Democratic convention, more than the 23.9 million who watched the opening game of the NFL. Excluding PBS and Current TV, NBC’s ratings were still higher than those of ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News.

-Article Cited as the source in the original post.