Thigpen still gets $1.5 million this year, becomes free agent in March

Tyler+Thigpen+uUtmKj6Zcd8m Getty Images

We know that Bills backup quarterback Tyler Thigpen took a $1 million pay cut to stay with the Bills.  Here’s the rest of the story.

Thigpen had the final year of his contract wiped out in exchange for the reduction, which means that Thigpen will be a free agent in 2013.

Also, even with the pay cut, Thigpen will earn $1.5 million.  Specifically, he gets  $500,000 roster bonus and a base salary of $1 million.  Thigpen was due to earn a base salary of $2.5 million.

It’s not a bad deal for Thigpen, given that the Bills had to be seriously considering the possibility of cutting him.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Thigpen still gets $1.5 million this year, becomes free agent in March”
  1. catquick says: Sep 6, 2012 10:52 PM

why would he want the last year wiped out? There’s at least a chance he could stick with the Bills next year. If he’s cut, I think his career is over.

2. spedman24 says: Sep 6, 2012 11:20 PM

No one cares about this

3. dannyreneau says: Sep 6, 2012 11:23 PM

As a chiefs fan I can confidently say that this is the biggest waste of 1.5 million I’ve ever seen in the nfl.

4. wwwmattcom says: Sep 6, 2012 11:32 PM

I am teaching my kid how to punt.

5. sammyscrawfo says: Sep 7, 2012 12:18 AM

I don’t see him sticking around for the whole season. When Tavaris is up to speed with the playbook Thigpen is gone and Smith is the #3

6. scyankee9999 says: Sep 7, 2012 12:27 AM

You want the last year wiped out so your not in this situation next year: days away from the start of the season and a last minute trade has you in fear of being cut. This way he is released early next year and has a fair chance to be in camp with another team.

7. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Sep 7, 2012 12:29 AM

He better save it, I feel like it’s the last year of NFL paychecks he’s going to cash.

8. eaglesw00t says: Sep 7, 2012 7:45 AM

scyankee9999 says:
    Sep 7, 2012 12:27 AM
    ————————–

That sounds reasonable enough for most players, but Thigpen wont make another team.

He may get invited to someone elses camp, but when he is done with the Bills, his career is over. He wont make another roster.

9. gooboy6 says: Sep 7, 2012 8:02 AM

Thigpen single-handedly led Chiefs to 4-12 record in KC when Gailey was there and Gailey loves him for that !

10. EJ says: Sep 7, 2012 8:57 AM

My guess is that Gailey will let Thigpen go once Tarvaris Jackson is up to speed and Brad Smith is fully healthy again. Thigpen does know Gailey’s Offense very well, but has a hard time being successful with it, as he showed us during pre-season. Ryan Fitzpatrick is one tough QB, so I’m not too worried about the back-up spot very much. Fitz played half of the season with a cracked rib, now that is tough. I expect Buffalo to keep Fitzpatrick the starter unless he proves he can’t get it done, then I think we’ll see Jackson. Regardless, they will pursue a QB in this up and coming Draft as a future project player, the draft is going to be loaded with QB’s in 2013. Right now though, I am a full Fitzpatrick supporter, go Amish Rifle! Go Bills!!!! #BillsMafia