Brian Urlacher: I’m not up to speed, but I’ll get there

chi_g_urlacher_briggs2x_576 Getty Images

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher, who has been dealing with a knee injury through the entire offseason, acknowledges that he’s not quite as ready for the start of this season as he’d like to be. But he still thinks he can be his old self in the opener against the Colts.

No, I’m not up to speed,” Urlacher said, via the Chicago Tribune. “I know the defense well, but I’ve got to get my technique down and work on some things. But I’m practicing, still. That’s all that really matters to me. I’ll get it down. The more I’m out there, the more reps I see, I’ll get better.”

That doesn’t sound totally reassuring for Bears fans, and the Colts may be planning to test Urlacher on Sunday. Urlacher says he would welcome that.

“I’m not worried about it,” Urlacher said. “We’ll run our Cover-2 if we have to and see what happens. If they want to test me, I’ll have more chances to make plays then.”

It’s hard to see Urlacher being the playmaker he’s been for most of his career if he’s still not up to speed in the week before the opener.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Brian Urlacher: I’m not up to speed, but I’ll get there”
  1. notmanning says: Sep 7, 2012 8:32 AM

I hope Pagano and Co. have been hanging these comments up in the locker room. Briggs, the Dananimal, and now Urlacher seems to think the Colts will be an easy win. Honestly do not know what to expect, but the Bears might be in for a rude awakening. Sets up good for the Colts, as the Bears no doubt have the Pack circled on next weeks calendar.

2. dabears4life says: Sep 7, 2012 8:48 AM

Thata boy Lach. Time to silence all those haters out there. Beardown!!!

3. thetokyosandblaster says: Sep 7, 2012 8:51 AM

You’ll also get more chances to show that the hype surrounding the bears is unwarranted, as you lose the first game of the year to a rookie QB.

Colts 20
    Bears 17

4. howiefeltersnatch says: Sep 7, 2012 8:51 AM

Someone call the fat lady, she’s on in five

5. larryboodry says: Sep 7, 2012 8:58 AM

Urlacher at less-than-full-speed is still better than many of his peers…That said, I sincerely hope he is purposely trying to lull Indy into a false sense of security.

6. jwisz says: Sep 7, 2012 8:58 AM

It seems so odd to hear Urlacher talking about his injury/lack of mobility this much in the press. Even Lovie is normally so quiet about these types of things and he has been more forthright than usual.

I can understand if you are using this as a “tactic” before the Packer game in Week 2, but why now? I guess I am growing more and more concerned.

7. perno13 says: Sep 7, 2012 8:58 AM

If Luck is going to have success, I don’t think he should go after Urlacher. It sounds like Urlacher is sandbagging. Tillman looked very suspect against the Giants, that’s the way to go. This coming from a Bears fan.

8. littlekaps says: Sep 7, 2012 9:01 AM

Is it just me but here you have Urlacher who is going to play hurt, sacrificing his body and you have Witten, who played Thursday after being “cleared” by doctors, sacrificing his body as well.

These are just two of the cases, among probably hundreds others, that demonstrates that football players, given the choice, would rather play knowing the consequences in the future rather than sit and watch. Whether it be a monetary thing or not, it gives full credence to the argument that players believe in sacrificing later to play the game they love now.

9. lionsgofrompitytofearin3years says: Sep 7, 2012 9:06 AM

This is becoming more talked about than Favre’s retirement watch in 2010. A 34 year linebacker with bad knees. Get over it guys.

10. hooahitsnotatomthing says: Sep 7, 2012 9:07 AM

I think the bears will be just fine. Now if he isn’t ready for week two, that’s a problem!

11. dabears4life says: Sep 7, 2012 9:40 AM

Colts 20
    Bears 17

—HHHAAAAA!!!

—How bout we see how the games unfold before we do the talking thing?

Personally, I cant wait to see luck get laid out by our D. You guys have no running game and will be playing catch up alllll game long. Which means a lot of passing downs. Beardown!

12. chi01town says: Sep 7, 2012 9:42 AM

Urlacher is baiting offensive coordinators all over the NFL. Hes waiting for them to bring a play to him. an whats worse they have to test him. Urlacher will have a pro bowl year

13. bo1210 says: Sep 7, 2012 9:43 AM

Colts fan that thinks Colts will win just because Urlacher isn’t 100% = LMAO.

14. daaabears says: Sep 7, 2012 9:56 AM

Weird time to open up to the press.

15. thetokyosandblaster says: Sep 7, 2012 10:00 AM

Haha.

I’m not a colts fan. I’m a football realist.

The bears offensive line is the worst–the absolute worst–in professional football. Cutler is going to be on his back more this year than any other QB. The defense is overrated. They were middle of the road last year and they only got older.

Everyone has high hopes going into the season. The talk of the bears going to the super bowl is like talking about how amazing unicorns are, and writing letters to Harry Potter thanking him for saving the world.

Fantasy is not reality.

16. bo1210 says: Sep 7, 2012 10:19 AM

Try paying better attention. Carimi was lost for the season early, but the Bears still started out 7-3 before Cutler got hurt on a NON-sack injury. Fewer 7-step drops means less engage time. False starts were a bigger problem than protection. I love you fans that never pay attention! LOL!

17. darthhitman77 says: Sep 7, 2012 10:23 AM

With Urlacher being a 34 year old all-pro vet and Luck getting ready to make his first career start, if all you guysbaiting Luck for the last month or so and playing head games with the kid happens to be true then by God, you Bears fans have HUGE problems.

18. bearssuck says: Sep 7, 2012 11:05 AM

Man This guy needs to hang up the cleats. If the Bears were a good organization which they have proven over & over again they are not. They would move on from him. He’ll play 1/2 the season at best this upcoming year.

19. crush22 says: Sep 7, 2012 11:07 AM

Colts fan that thinks Colts will win just because Urlacher isn’t 100% = LMAO
    ———————————————
    No, Colts fans think they will win because your QB is Cutler.

20. purpleguy says: Sep 7, 2012 11:16 AM

Even a Lions fan is capable of ascertaining that its over for Urlacher.

21. tlmoon2112 says: Sep 7, 2012 12:57 PM

Naw it aint over for Urlacher, hes making adult movies at home with the new squeeze. Shes working him out something fierce, he’ll be ready in NO time!

22. cylondetector says: Sep 7, 2012 1:09 PM

Colts fans having a hard time adjusting to the post-Manning era – time to pipe down guys, at least until you get back up to winning 3 games a season.

Big fan of Urlacher – old school LBer – hope he’s good to go!

23. beefbus says: Sep 7, 2012 1:12 PM

The Bears will score a minimum of 24 points against the Colts awful defense. Their two best players will be playing in a two-point stance, something they’ve never done. Marshall will have a field day against their hapless secondary. Forte and Bush will murder the middle of their D with Tice’s patented power running game. I’ve heard the Colts O-line might actually be worse than the Bears. Luck better be quick and decisive with his throws cause the rush will be coming! Urlacher may be average, but it won’t matter one bit. Bears 35-17.

24. larryboodry says: Sep 7, 2012 1:47 PM

@ beefbus…Sounds about right!

25. neemdaddy13 says: Sep 7, 2012 2:00 PM

The Bears are better witout Urlacher, the most overrated linebacker since the Bozz..

26. gmsingh says: Sep 7, 2012 2:15 PM

Urlacher has been taking notes from Lovie: just tell everyone that everybody is going to play until game time, and then offensive and defensive coordinators on the other team are stuck trying to figure out who to game plan for.