Prince Amukamara still not running on sprained ankle

Prince+Amukamara+Chicago+Bears+v+New+York+R1tt0Q9HziDl Getty Images

There are some veteran quarterbacks coming in to work out for the Giants on Friday.

That’s not the only position being looked at. Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that they will also be checking out some defensive backs, including former Colts safety David Caldwell. Based on the way the secondary played on Wednesday night, this doesn’t come as much of a surprise. It’s even less surprising when you see where cornerback Prince Amukamara is in his recovery from a high ankle sprain.

Amukamara hasn’t tried to run on the injury, which he suffered in the third preseason game against the Bears. There’s a lot of time before the Giants have to play the Buccaneers, so it’s too soon to count Amukamara out for the second straight week. That doesn’t make it any more encouraging that Amukamara’s still feeling pain in the ankle, though.

“It’s not necessarily a tight feeling, it’s just sometimes when I load it, I just feel pain,” Amukamara said, via Paul Schwartz of the New York Post. “The trainers explained to me that pain isn’t good and they just told me the whole 1, 2, 3 of the injury. I’ve just been trying not to put a lot of pressure on it lately.”

If the Giants want to guarantee themselves help next week from someone who wasn’t on the field Wednesday, it sounds like they’re going to need to sign one of their Friday visitors.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Prince Amukamara still not running on sprained ankle”
  1. Davo says: Sep 7, 2012 12:48 PM

After the burning the Giants secondary got from – and I can’t believe I’m saying this – Tony Romo, I think the Defense will welcome his return by throwing themselves in an ice bath.

2. voiceofreasonsays says: Sep 7, 2012 12:51 PM

3. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 7, 2012 12:55 PM

Yo JPP, dump this chump in the tub again. He needs to get iced down.

4. situsavaisprier says: Sep 7, 2012 1:23 PM

Glad to hear he’s coming around. However, it doesn’t matter even if Terrell Thomas was coming back. If Perry Fewell doesn’t stop over relying on rush from the front four, and every now and then front three (if people really payed attention in the game Justin Tuck was in coverage at least twice) and having the CB’s retreat and watch the QB in zone coverage (look at Ogletrees 2nd td with Webster in front to get an idea what I’m talking about), then the pass defense will really be hit hard every week. You didn’t see this type of defense when Steve Spagnuolo was d-coordinator.

5. latchbeam says: Sep 7, 2012 4:09 PM

Dunk him!!!

6. bluebongzilla says: Sep 7, 2012 6:26 PM

“After the burning the Giants secondary got from – and I can’t believe I’m saying this – Tony Romo”

Not sure why you’re surprised. Romo has thrown 25 TD passes and ran for 2 more in 10 starts against the Giants.

7. bluebongzilla says: Sep 7, 2012 6:30 PM

“If a mediocre WR like Ogletree burned NYG, I can’t imagine the high level of burnage a good WR like Santana will deliver.”

I wouldn’t bet on Moss replicating what Ogletree did. Moss only has one multiple TD game in the past 5 seasons.