“No way” Adrian Peterson doesn’t play

hi-res-150705564_crop_exact Getty Images

Since Sid Hartman needs his daily “will Adrian play?” update, we’re here to oblige.

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson will play on Sunday against the Jaguars.  A source with knowledge of the situation say there’s “no way” Peterson won’t.  (Hopefully it’s not the same source who once told a prominent NFL insider that there’s “no way” the Texans won’t take Reggie Bush with the first pick in the 2006 draft.)

That said, Peterson will split the load with backup Toby Gerhart, who in his third year looks the part as a big-time NFL tailback.

If it works, it could be a one-two punch all year for the Vikings, even if Peterson doesn’t like it.

The Vikings have said a final decision will be made Friday night or Saturday morning.  Of course, making the decision and officially announcing it are two different propositions.

But there’s no need to announce it.  He’ll play.  He just won’t play as much as he usually does.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to ““No way” Adrian Peterson doesn’t play”
  1. scrapingthefloorioforstorios says: Sep 8, 2012 9:18 AM

also no way his career isn’t just about spent.

2. snoilog says: Sep 8, 2012 9:41 AM

1 hit to the knee and that could possibly be the last carry of his career, Good luck AD (even though I’m a Lions fan, I’m a bigger football fan)
    I hope you stay healthy for the season except when you play my Leo’s (Call in sick those days and do something fun, like going out on a boat. oops)

GO LIONS

3. smalltownqb says: Sep 8, 2012 9:43 AM

I do not think anyone has been allowed to hit him below the waist in the rare few practices ADP was cleared for contact. I do not think Minny is fooling anyone. It is Gerhart’s backfield this week and he is more than capable against a tough Jags run D.

4. eatingcereal says: Sep 8, 2012 9:46 AM

I’m starting him on my fantasy team.

5. flavordave says: Sep 8, 2012 9:50 AM

As a Phillies fan I watched Ryan Howard come back from an achilles and hes still hobbling on the field. And his injury was last October. Theres no way on earth Adrian is 100% and should be trying to cut hard and burst all while taking the pounding of the tackles. He should just be eased in and have Gerhart carry at least this month.

6. conormacleod says: Sep 8, 2012 9:56 AM

I have seen every carry Toby has had in his career. To call him a “big time NFL tailback” is way too generous. I would lean more towards “capable” or “solid back-up or fill in”. No NFL defense would game plan specifically for him. This is not meant as an insult toward him. He has just not shown anything that would make me believe he is special, or that sets him apart from another 15-20 NFL RB’s.

7. conormacleod says: Sep 8, 2012 9:59 AM

1 hit to the knee and that could possibly be the last carry of his career/////////////////// And how is this different from any other RB or NFL player???????

8. skins716 says: Sep 8, 2012 10:00 AM

comeback player of the year

9. conormacleod says: Sep 8, 2012 10:02 AM

As a Phillies fan I watched Ryan Howard come back from an achilles and hes still hobbling on the field. ////////////// Um, ya…… These are two different injuries, and two very different athletes. Howard looks like his training regimen is eating cheeseburgers, while AP’s consist of devouring Linebackers.

10. dtrb10 says: Sep 8, 2012 10:10 AM

Go youtube some of Adrian Petersons NFL highlights. This man is like no other! There is no stopping him from playing. He had a knee injury his rookie year I think and then came back and ran for a ton of yards the next year. UNLEASH THE BEAST!!

SKOL!

11. freshnsoclean says: Sep 8, 2012 10:17 AM

Just think if all NFL players has the same mentality as this kid. Even after he got his huge contract, he worked even harder. Most NFL players get hurt and act like they care but it’s actually a vacation to them. Not to A.P. Just a B E A S T!

12. snoilog says: Sep 8, 2012 10:20 AM

conormacleod says:
    Sep 8, 2012 9:59 AM
    And how is this different from any other RB or NFL player???????

————————————————–
    easy, most players aren’t coming off of MAJOR KNEE RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY and have stable knees…

How is it only AP is able to heal in 8 months when it takes EVERY OTHER PERSON ALIVE at least 11-13 months. Heck I remember when that injury happened it was the END.

That’s how

13. opinevain says: Sep 8, 2012 10:31 AM

“Toby Gerhart, who in his third year looks the part as a big-time NFL tailback.”

Tell me what qualifies him as that big-time tailback?

14. scrapingthefloorioforstorios says: Sep 8, 2012 10:38 AM

thad crappy turf, combined with his workhorse college career, and the total carries he’s had before total knee costruction places his runningback shelflife at almost expired. no way he’s in the league in two more years…

15. jazz607 says: Sep 8, 2012 10:49 AM

There’s “no way” I’m starting him on my team!

16. nathan702nelson says: Sep 8, 2012 11:00 AM

Does it annoy anyone else that when PFT makes an article about teams like the Packers, Saints, and Steelers, they talk them up. But when they make articles about teams like Vikings, Rams, Browns etc they talk bad about them. PFT, your biased attitude shows. And I BET this comment gets deleted by mods too, because they know I’m right.

17. myhornispurple says: Sep 8, 2012 11:13 AM

Common sense says that 28 needs more time…but the man is very uncommon. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

18. insanelomein2 says: Sep 8, 2012 12:33 PM

AP isnt a burner RB, he’s a punish the tackler, breaking ankles type of RB.

His ACL and MCL are not ready for that yet.

19. schmitty2 says: Sep 8, 2012 12:52 PM

snoilog says:
    Sep 8, 2012 10:20 AM
    conormacleod says:
    Sep 8, 2012 9:59 AM
    And how is this different from any other RB or NFL player???????

————————————————–

That’s how

Because AP is a freak of nature and worked his tail off .Besides, therapy techniques and medcial technology are far more advanced then they were back in the day

20. undeadjesus says: Sep 8, 2012 12:59 PM

“…But when they make articles about teams like Vikings, Rams, Browns etc they talk bad about them. PFT, your biased attitude shows”

Hate to burst your bubble nathan702nelson, but anyone who’s been reading this site for years knows that Florio is a closet Vikings fan. It’s less noticeable ever since he became affiliated with NBC, but still pops up on occasion. Hell, he’s a weekly guest on KFAN in the Twin Cities.

…and where are you getting that this story is negative on the Vikings?! If anything it’s a positive one, considering that he calls Gerhart a “big time” NFL RB

21. autumnwind999 says: Sep 8, 2012 1:46 PM

Health issues aside, I think Darren McFadden is actually a bit better than Peterson. The stats don’t bear that out because McFadden has missed so much time each season with injury, but if you’ve watched DMC closely the last two years you would know just how good he is.

Peterson is obviously great and I realize I’m in a small minority in this opinion, but I stand by it. Both guys are very fast, very punishing runners. I just feel that McFadden can get from 0 to 60 a couple of steps faster.

22. flyeaglefly says: Sep 8, 2012 2:14 PM

Florio, are you kidding…Toby a “big time” back…tell me, do you really believe the Vikes shelled out $100,000,000 to AP to do a “time share” with a guy who scored 1 TD last year with over 110 carries? spare me, no…spare US…

23. imaginesuperbowlwin says: Sep 8, 2012 8:45 PM

I can’t wait to see him toss a defensive back aside like a cigarette butt. With one hand.

24. myhornispurple says: Sep 8, 2012 11:04 PM