Niners strike gold with new stadium

628x471

Even before beginning to make the case that 2011 was no fluke, the San Francisco 49ers were moving merchandise at their new stadium.  After Sunday’s win over the Packers, remaining seats in the Santa Clara structure could disappear, quickly.

According to the San Jose Mercury News, the 49ers had sold as of Sunday $670 million in tickets and luxury suites for a stadium that doesn’t even open until 2014.  That total includes 70 percent of current season-ticket holders who plunked down the cash that goes along with having Personal Seat Licenses for every seat in the stadium.

Starting Monday, 10,000 fans on the waiting list will get a chance to buy some of the 27,000 in remaining seats at the new venue.  Next month, the gates open to the general public for the remainder of the tickets.

If the 49ers can continue what they started at Lambeau Field on Sunday, there may not be many — if any — tickets left not long after the process opens up to the general public.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
15 Responses to “Niners strike gold with new stadium”
  1. eaglesw00t says: Sep 10, 2012 7:41 AM

Good for San Fran. They havent had a ton to cheer for since Jerry Rice left.

A proud franchise with a great history. Getting a new building, and they currently have a nasty defense.

As a fan on the other side of the country with a QB that I am embarassed is on my team, color me jealous of the 49ers. Definitely a team on their way to the top if you ask me.

2. thedownwardspiral says: Sep 10, 2012 8:14 AM

Better allocate about $2 million more in the budget for increased security. Those inmates are gonna need it.

3. steviemo says: Sep 10, 2012 9:27 AM

Greed. That’s all it is.

4. 4t9er says: Sep 10, 2012 9:30 AM

This is also great news for Santa Clara. If not for the recent success, I’m sure sales would’ve been considerably lower and the loan financing would’ve been in jeopardy.

5. joetoronto says: Sep 10, 2012 9:48 AM

Ok everyone, put your hands over your head and dance to celebrate!

That’s how it’s done in Frisco, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

6. abninf says: Sep 10, 2012 9:55 AM

Season ticket holders will get free flowers to put in their hair. You may delete now.

7. niner13 says: Sep 10, 2012 10:16 AM

Not to nitpick, Mike, but they’re called BSLs — Business Seat Licenses. I know. I bought two. You could say the Niners were giving me “the business.”
    As 32-year season ticket holder, I’m addicted. But I do look forward to the next five SBs.

8. Matt says: Sep 10, 2012 10:34 AM

PSLs may be the real reason that the 49ers and the Raiders don’t want to share a stadium. The Raiders organization stopped insulting their fans with PSLs after they gained their own control of ticket sales from the OFMA.

I guess the 49ers ticket base (winery owners, Silicon valley, what else?) doesn’t care about being ripped off, but I could definitely see Mark Davis and Amy Trask refusing to sell PSLs.

9. dunkindan says: Sep 10, 2012 11:07 AM

This stadium is for silicon valley non sports fans.

10. cliverush says: Sep 10, 2012 11:17 AM

This is a big plus for the NFL. A rich history of winning in one of America’s great cities that loves sports will continue.

11. footballchic777 says: Sep 10, 2012 11:29 AM

I am a Bengals fan, so not much of a Niners fan, but I have to say…..that was an impressive win! Congrats Niners.

12. jjackwagon says: Sep 10, 2012 11:32 AM

Maybe if Chokeland would stop swapping coaches they could have enough success to warrant a new stadium. I hear the blueprints for Leavenworth are available.

13. dmackdaddy says: Sep 10, 2012 11:35 AM

You all have it Wrong.

It’s SBL’s aka STADIUM BUILDERS LICENSE.

I should know, I have 4 seats!

Niners beat Green Bay and it was no surprise to me. Just a better team than the 13-3 team last year.

GO NINERS!!!

14. WestCoastVet says: Sep 10, 2012 2:46 PM

Can someone explain to me what a PSL is and what purpose of it is? Is it ownership of a specific seat and therefore no one else can use it?

15. realfann says: Sep 10, 2012 4:26 PM

Nothing to do with the Packers game.

Why try and make a connection where there is none?