Tony Gonzalez gets booed after a dunk for first time in KC

Atlanta Falcons v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

After spending 12 years in Kansas City, Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez didn’t want to offend his old friends.

But after catching a touchdown Sunday, he let Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan talk him into a reprise of his old celebration.

Honestly, I wasn’t going to dunk it,” Gonzalez said, via Randy Covitz of the Kansas City Star. “The ball went flying out of there, and Matt comes up to me and puts it my chest, and said, ‘Go dunk that ball!’ So I went up there and dunked it.”

The veteran tight end had punctuated most of his first 95 career touchdowns that way, a nod to his background as a basketball player. But this was the first time he did it in KC in a non-Chiefs uniform, and that changed the way the locals viewed him after an initial warm greeting.

“I heard the boos,” Gonzalez said. “But I want all the fans to know, it wasn’t a disrespectful thing, it was just something, . . . that’s me, this is where I made my bones coming up in this league, and definitely I wanted to be true to myself and go up there and dunk it.”

For his part, Ryan didn’t mind calling the shot.

“It was a great moment, not only for him personally, but for Kansas City fans, too,” Ryan said. “He is such a great part of this organization, probably the greatest tight end to have ever played the game. I think deep down in their hearts, Kansas City fans probably loved seeing that one more time, and it was just fun to be a part of it.”

Fun when you score 40, maybe. When your team’s getting manhandled, maybe not so much.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Tony Gonzalez gets booed after a dunk for first time in KC”
  1. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 10, 2012 10:55 AM

If they didn’t want to see him dunk it, they should have played better D.

2. richiebburg says: Sep 10, 2012 10:56 AM

Atleast he got above the crossbar.. *cough* vernon davis *cough*

3. blackandbluedivision says: Sep 10, 2012 10:56 AM

_____________________________

The score was 34-17. I seriously doubt that was a great moment for Kansas City fans.

4. coondabye says: Sep 10, 2012 10:56 AM

Good thing he can get up higher than V Davis.

5. 3rdbrowneye says: Sep 10, 2012 10:56 AM

At least it was a better dunk than Vernon Davis:)

6. clarkisgod says: Sep 10, 2012 11:00 AM

A true KC fan would not have booed him for dunking the football one last time. He didn’t have a sloppy divorce like Favre or anything like that, and he was mostly the reason the Chiefs were competitive for the over a decade. Tong G is what more players should strive to act like in the NFL.

7. kattykathy says: Sep 10, 2012 11:05 AM

Tony G will always be loved in KC and the community will be proud when he enters the Hall Of Fame as a Chief.
    However, I think he should have refrained from dunking the ball and instead made a simple gesture acknowledging the fans. Would have been a tad bit more classy

8. jjackwagon says: Sep 10, 2012 11:16 AM

He plays for the other team now. What do you expect? You want the home team to cheer for the other team when they score a TD? That’s asking a little much don’t you think?
    Non-story.

9. photoguy13 says: Sep 10, 2012 11:20 AM

Matt Ryan is either disingenuous or else he is not very smart. How could he not understand that dunking the ball over the goal post like that was disrespectful to Tony’s old team?

10. bkostela says: Sep 10, 2012 11:22 AM

i heard more cheering than booing. but that was just over the tv broadcast…

11. loyalpanthersfan says: Sep 10, 2012 11:31 AM

He got booed everytime he caught the ball smh

12. tennesseeoilers says: Sep 10, 2012 11:58 AM

As a Titans fan, the closest I can come to relating to this was when Derrick Mason and Steve McNair returned to Nashville as Ravens in ’06. On the final go-ahead touchdown catch, Mason ran over and spiked the ball on our end zone logo. Normally, that’d actually be offensive as opposed to the joy Tony G’s celebration displayed. However, I was amused when Mason did that because it was no secret he loved our fans and the city, but was carrying a huge chip against the Titans’ front office.

13. joetoronto says: Sep 10, 2012 12:04 PM

Look no further than Gonzo leaving KC to tell you how cheap the Chiefs really are.

He’s the type of player you keep until he retires, you NEVER let a player like that go, no way in hell.

I hope he goes into the HOF as a Falcon, it would serve the Kansas City Cheapskates right.

14. aberystwyth2 says: Sep 10, 2012 12:22 PM

im a KC fan and it didn’t bother me…made me jealous more than anything really….sure it stunk that he was in a Falcons uniform, but dude’s the classiest of acts.

15. justcruzin99 says: Sep 10, 2012 12:30 PM

A classless act by what I considered to be a very classy athlete. I was disappointed. It would have been a very classy move to not dunk the football since we lived and died with Tony G. Instead, he did was all athletes do… A “in your face” dunk by Tony G. Tony G leaving KC was not about money it was about a team rebuilding and he wanted to go to a team that had playoff chances.

16. dukemarc says: Sep 10, 2012 1:33 PM

joetoronto says:
    Sep 10, 2012 12:04 PM

————————-

A player does not choose a team when they go into the Hall of Fame.

17. dudicle says: Sep 10, 2012 2:38 PM

I can understand the boos. Honestly, Tony probably regrets dunking the ball. It was very emotional for him coming back to face his old team. He is sensitive to and appreciates the KC fans. Had Matt Ryan not handed him that ball, he would have walked away.

As for Ryan, he knew how much this game meant to Tony. I think he too got caught up in the moment and wanted to make it special for Tony. He probably shouldn’t have told him to dunk it…

It truly wasn’t a “in your face” gesture.

Oh well. You’ll live, KC.

18. swede700 says: Sep 10, 2012 2:51 PM

If they boo anyone, they should be booing Carl Peterson since he’s the one that let Tony walk away.

19. sullijo1 says: Sep 10, 2012 4:01 PM

How does a team go 58 minutes in a game without punting without a turnover???????

20. sullijo1 says: Sep 10, 2012 4:02 PM

Somebody help me here….The Chiefs are $28M under the salary cap but they couldn’t sign Brandon Carr?

What a joke.

21. raidadon says: Sep 10, 2012 4:03 PM

One of the best football days of my life! When Gonzo left KC!

22. chadinkc30 says: Sep 10, 2012 5:17 PM

I feel sorry that such a great player has never won a playoff game in his entire career, guess that is what comes with getting drafted by the Chiefs.

23. chadinkc30 says: Sep 10, 2012 5:28 PM

Sullijo1, to answer your question they wanted to save 2 million a year, and replace Carr with Stanford Routt. I’d understand if they needed cap room, but obviously that is a rarity

24. jkaflagg says: Sep 10, 2012 8:47 PM

Think it was also a low point of the game for Chefs fans…..they were matching the Falcons blow-for-blow in the first half, and suddenly they fell apart with 3 straight turnovers in the second…..I agree that Chefs fans are probably more upset seeing this still-great player flourishing with another team rather than any true animus for Tony…..